City council the farm team for the big show

southy
Lord of the Board

City council the farm team for the big show

Post by southy »

I suppose it was only a matter of time - Terik Sayeed would like to become an NDP candidate in the next provincial election.
Residents of Penticton should feel honored and proud that the municipally elected officials are such stand outs that they can move on to the big show in provincial and federal politics. This farm team has groomed many well respected individuals; Dan Ashton, Dan Albas, hummm who are the others - there must be more. Gee, I wonder if Andre Martin or Mayor Jak have greater political aspirations? Oh well - just another day in the politics of PENTICTON!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#177349
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: City council the farm team for the big show

Post by XT225 »

Would be nice to get rid of one council member and NOT replace them. Mayor Jak go for higher political position? Not likely with his record of not listening to the electorate.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Councilor Toni Boot from Summerland is also talking about throwing her hat in the Provincial NDP ring. The cynic in me wonders how many of these hopefuls have their gaze fixed firmly on that gold plated pension after two terms.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:Councilor Toni Boot from Summerland is also talking about throwing her hat in the Provincial NDP ring. The cynic in me wonders how many of these hopefuls have their gaze fixed firmly on that gold plated pension after two terms.

And really ... isn't that the bottom line! I think so.
summerlandab

Post by summerlandab »

How else is a person to get experience?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

summerlandab wrote:How else is a person to get experience?

Experience in what?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

summerlandab wrote:How else is a person to get experience?

How about at least four decades of life. One thing I am sure of is that any degree or diploma does not qualify anyone for public office even at the Civic level. Wes and Tarik have made that quite clear. And on the other end we have Max the bartender who doesn't read the local paper because the news is so negative. I have to wonder if the reason he doesn't read the paper is cuz some of the printed words contain more than two syllables.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I don't know a whole bunch about Mr. Picton, but I cancelled my Herald subscription for the same reason. That paper has become a scandal mongering gossip sheet and Mr. Miller's hatred for anything local government taints his editorial policy at every turn. With all due respect for free speech, I'm a firm believer that a positive attitude will carry you further in life than any amount of whining and complaining and that little bit of wisdom seems to have escaped Mr. Miller. He can say whatever he likes (within the law), I'll stand behind that right with my dying breath, but I am in no way obligated to listen to him.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:I don't know a whole bunch about Mr. Picton, but I cancelled my Herald subscription for the same reason. That paper has become a scandal mongering gossip sheet and Mr. Miller's hatred for anything local government taints his editorial policy at every turn. With all due respect for free speech, I'm a firm believer that a positive attitude will carry you further in life than any amount of whining and complaining and that little bit of wisdom seems to have escaped Mr. Miller. He can say whatever he likes (within the law), I'll stand behind that right with my dying breath, but I am in no way obligated to listen to him.

Everyone is entitled to do as they please but NOT reading certain viewpoints can give a person a partial idea of what is going on. I know someone who ONLY watches Fox news; nothing else; nothing even local. They haven't got a clue about the entire picture because of that attitude. Of course they are also a Trump fan. I don't always agree with the Herald's viewpoints but tough questions need to be asked of our politicians; that has been proven many times. We can't always just sit around, smiling and waving, pretending everything is fine. Criticism can be good, as long as its constructive and has solutions offered. Things are not all wine and roses in our fair city right now and keeping the heat on our politicians is about the only way that the public can help; at least until our next election.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Unbiased journalism shines a spotlight on the problems which need to be addressed. Biased journalism distorts public perception, and it misdirects the efforts of those who genuinely wish to build a better community.

Since Miller took the helm, the primary aim of his paper seems to be fueling controversy, encouraging people to put their efforts into bickering for the sake of bickering, because bickering sells papers. Years ago, he told me the most popular part of the paper was the letters to the editor. Sadly, he seems to have adopted a business model of letting people share misinformation in his pages, unchallenged, and only "reporting" on stories from whichever angle is most likely to stir the pot.

Plenty of people understand why it's not actually helpful, to anyone, to read a daily that actively strives to paint the ugliest possible picture of the community we live in.

Back on topic, a single term as city councillor can't really prepare anyone for public service at other levels, but it sure is an eye-opener as to what any politician really can and cannot do. And it helps them understand how little anyone's genuine efforts to improve one's community count when one chooses what's right over what's been made most popular.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:Everyone is entitled to do as they please but NOT reading certain viewpoints can give a person a partial idea of what is going on. I know someone who ONLY watches Fox news; nothing else; nothing even local. They haven't got a clue about the entire picture because of that attitude. Of course they are also a Trump fan. I don't always agree with the Herald's viewpoints but tough questions need to be asked of our politicians; that has been proven many times. We can't always just sit around, smiling and waving, pretending everything is fine. Criticism can be good, as long as its constructive and has solutions offered. Things are not all wine and roses in our fair city right now and keeping the heat on our politicians is about the only way that the public can help; at least until our next election.

If you're trying to tell me that I have to read the Herald to get a complete grasp of a situation then I call bull. If you're trying to tell me that the "tough questions" won't get asked becasue I don't read the Herald then I call bull again. I will continue to treat the Herald like I do any media source that is totally devoid of journalistic integrity. I'll leave it in the store with the other tabloids.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote:Plenty of people understand why it's not actually helpful, to anyone, to read a daily that actively strives to paint the ugliest possible picture of the community we live in.

Exactly. There's something ignorant and irresponsible about using a potentially influential media source to foment civil discontent.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:If you're trying to tell me that I have to read the Herald to get a complete grasp of a situation then I call bull. If you're trying to tell me that the "tough questions" won't get asked becasue I don't read the Herald then I call bull again. I will continue to treat the Herald like I do any media source that is totally devoid of journalistic integrity. I'll leave it in the store with the other tabloids.

No, never said you have to read the Herald. They (and other media outlets) will still ask the tough questions whether you or I read it or not. What I mean is that one only gets the FULL picture by reading several styles of media; not just one-sided positive hype stuff. I read all types and find that I get a much broader picture of whats going on, that way. We can't all just sit back and watch Mike McCardell type stories; while they are entertaining and great to watch, they do nothing to get at the root of problem areas. A mix of human interest and news (both positive and negative) is what most people seem to enjoy. ETA: there aren't many on here (or news stories) praising the present city council farm team and if there are, please send a link as I like to read ALL types of stories, so I can get all sides of the issues.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*back on topic please, thanks! :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:If you're trying to tell me that I have to read the Herald to get a complete grasp of a situation then I call bull. If you're trying to tell me that the "tough questions" won't get asked becasue I don't read the Herald then I call bull again. I will continue to treat the Herald like I do any media source that is totally devoid of journalistic integrity. I'll leave it in the store with the other tabloids

Come on fluffy - we've been to this dance before. So you don't like James Miller - bottomline! Other people obviously do. In a democratic world that's ok isn't it?? Besides I read the Herald daily and I can honestly say James Miller is not always negative and on a witch hunt with the city. The city does it to themselves and other media report the facts as well, not just the Herald. But then again, you wouldn't know because you don't read the Herald, therefore you are basing your opinion on either a story/s from the past or a personal issue with James Miller. Let it go! Besides this thread is not about James Miller or the Herald - read my original post.

Return to “South Okanagan”