City council the farm team for the big show

twobits
Guru

Re: City council the farm team for the big show

Post by twobits »

James Miller has ruined the Herald. For me any piece he contributes is a gloss over. Castanet and the Western News are far more reliable for decent local content now. Community thoughts however are contained in the letters to editor page and as a politician, with any desire to see what the local public is thinking and taking the time to put ink to paper for, it should be mandatory reading. A politician a long time ago said (and I don't remember who) that letters submitted were very important just for the fact that for every one that someone took the time to write, there were hundreds of others of the same opinion that did not write.
IMO not one of sitting Council is on a farm team for the big show with the exception of Konanz. All the others have pretty much displayed their arrogance in taking victory at the polls as some kind of carte blanche approval to pursue their own agenda rather than listen, represent and respond to what the community is saying they want. They have adopted a role of dictator rather than representative.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:James Miller has ruined the Herald. For me any piece he contributes is a gloss over. Castanet and the Western News are far more reliable for decent local content now. Community thoughts however are contained in the letters to editor...

Okay, I'll give you that much, even the most prolific of letter writers to the Herald occasionally have offerings of note, but as far as editorial content, the Herald is a 4th rate gossip sheet. Case in point: recent front page coverage of the local School Board which basically contained information to the effect that the BC Ombudsperson had a couple of procedural concerns regarding the near-closure of Trout Creek Elementary but was presented in a light that suggested the School Board had acted unfairly.

In all fairness, readily available circulation figures show that the Herald, like a lot of hard-copy media sources, is losing customers, probably due to online competition. It's likely that the scandal-sheet approach is one of survival for the Herald so it's entirely possible that Mr. Miller is well aware that he is sacrificing journalistic integrity to boost revenue. If that's the case I feel for him, but I'm not renewing my subscription, not when I can pick up a Western or go online for free and get a better product.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

What good does it really do for councillors to repeatedly hear the same complaints from the same unpleasable malcontents?

The tiny fraction of the letters that aren't repetitive regurgitations are usually also found in the Western, or online. Plenty of people also share opinions and suggestions personally rather than choosing to use a public soap box. This actually gives one the opportunity to listen to what the councillors have to say. The goal for some is to work toward solutions and build community, but others seem more focused on having their own voice heard.

We pay a penalty when we mire ourselves in negativity. Negative views are more readily expressed than positive ones, and far more readily expressed than neutral ones, but it's hard to maintain that perspective when you're constantly being condemned, and the sting of criticism weighs heavily with people of conscience.

IMO, if you want people of conscience in public office, it's counterproductive to incessantly fling insults and complaints at them. You're asking them to grow a thick enough skin to ignore the public just so they can continue to work for the public and still sleep at night, and then you'll complain because they're ignoring the public.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote:We pay a penalty when we mire ourselves in negativity.

I think a lot of people, way too many in fact, are simply unaware of the toxic and self-perpetuating nature of excessive negativity. Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but is it too much to ask that those opinions be expressed in a civil manner? That we keep some definition to the line between criticism and insult?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote:I think a lot of people, way too many in fact, are simply unaware of the toxic and self-perpetuating nature of excessive negativity. Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but is it too much to ask that those opinions be expressed in a civil manner? That we keep some definition to the line between criticism and insult?

It's interesting to me that some of the people who write a lot of the most negative letters, and the people who support them in this activity, see this as a helpful activity. Perhaps they truly do have the best of intentions. But to me, they're not recognizing the big difference between identifying and helping to solve community problems, and mere fault-finding. Once I have a sense that the frequent letter-writer is focused on fault-finding, I tend to lose interest in what they're writing. I admit that's biased, but as you've pointed out, the excessive negativity is toxic. Unless the letter writer truly seems motivated to understand the issues and work together for solutions, it seems pointless and counterproductive to read what they've written.

It seems quite reasonable for councillors to feel the same way. And I expect it's tough to balance all the varied needs of all the residents of Penticton when you're expected to pay an inordinate amount of attention to a handful of very negative, very verbose citizens.

Back on topic, it was interesting that the councillor who is hoping to move from municipal to provincial politics was the one who wasn't able to provide a brief report on the UBCM convention by the Western's press deadline. One would think he'd be particularly motivated to share his experience with the voters.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote:Back on topic, it was interesting that the councillor who is hoping to move from municipal to provincial politics was the one who wasn't able to provide a brief report on the UBCM convention by the Western's press deadline. One would think he'd be particularly motivated to share his experience with the voters.

What do you want to bet he didn't miss the deadline to file his expense claim for the trip?

[/cynic]
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:
What do you want to bet he didn't miss the deadline to file his expense claim for the trip?

[/cynic]

Careful now..that's a negative and we know how a couple of you hate those things. Still waiting for a list of happy go lucky/touchy feely things that our farm teamcouncil has done. Guess we could be waiting a while.
ETA: I would be the first to give praise where it is due, if and when that happens.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote: ETA: I would be the first to give praise where it is due, if and when that happens.

Would you be able to recognize when it does happen? You know what they say about poop coloured glasses. :)

Most of the uproar that swirls around council comes from issues where the town is divided, thus there are always some against and some in favour.

I support their downtown and beachfront beautification work. I supported the waterslides proposal. I support metered parking at tourist hotspots. And I will support the upcoming property tax increase. Where will you be?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:
Would you be able to recognize when it does happen? You know what they say about poop coloured glasses. :) Yes and I'm still waiting.

Most of the uproar that swirls around council comes from issues where the town is divided, thus there are always some against and some in favour.

I support their downtown and beachfront beautification work. I supported the waterslides proposal. I support metered parking at tourist hotspots. And I will support the upcoming property tax increase. Where will you be?

Nope, didn't support the 200 block at all. Needed underground work but the cutting down to 2 lanes, less parking spaces, and beautification did little to encourage more people down there, I would bet. Plus it was a conflict of interest in my opinion due to one on council having interest in a store there. It should have started at the entrance, which is the 600 block. Now with the city crying poverty, there is little chance that anything other than the 100 block will be done any time soon., plus they will lose many parking spots in the 100 block by going to parallel only parking. Dumb move. I was, and still am against the water slides in our park as are many. Doubt it will ever happen, though the Marina upgrade would be good. Property taxes will have to go up but they should have in the past years, little by little; past councils were the cause of that not happening. Folks are being taxed to death here; many projects that aren't totally necessary need to be put on hold or cancelled til the piggy bank has filled up a bit.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

XT225 wrote:Careful now..that's a negative and we know how a couple of you hate those things. Still waiting for a list of happy go lucky/touchy feely things that our farm teamcouncil has done. Guess we could be waiting a while.
ETA: I would be the first to give praise where it is due, if and when that happens.

You seem pretty negative about anything positive anyone might point out.

Compiling a list of positives and negatives is rather a waste of time as it wouldn't accomplish anything other than provide fodder for argument and division over what's bad and what's good. And in most cases that seems primarily a matter of personal perspective more likely driven by emotion and a compulsion to argue than any genuine desire to build community.

So this list-and-argue exercise isn't really a means to help council build strong communities, any more than it's helpful to constantly harp and rag on council in public forums simply for the sake of harping and ragging on council in public forums.

I realize some people enjoy the negativity, but IMO, there are far better ways to help council build strong communities, if that's truly what they wish to do.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

rustled wrote:You seem pretty negative about anything positive anyone might point out.

Compiling a list of positives and negatives is rather a waste of time as it wouldn't accomplish anything other than provide fodder for argument and division over what's bad and what's good. And in most cases that seems primarily a matter of personal perspective more likely driven by emotion and a compulsion to argue than any genuine desire to build community.

Nope, nobody (including you) has yet to point out anything positive that our present Farm Team council has done so far in their term. Please take the time to make a list; it shouldn't take long. Excellent letter (his best one yet) in the Western paper today from Jake Kimberley. He sizes up things very well.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:Nope, nobody (including you) has yet to point out anything positive that our present Farm Team council has done so far in their term. Please take the time to make a list; it shouldn't take long. Excellent letter (his best one yet) in the Western paper today from Jake Kimberley. He sizes up things very well.

I just gave you a list of things I see as positive above. And I can guarantee that I'm not the only one who sees/saw those things as positive.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:
I just gave you a list of things I see as positive above. And I can guarantee that I'm not the only one who sees/saw those things as positive.

Good grief....you consider these, your positive things? Not according to the majority of folks who have voiced their opinions. Oh, I know...the ones in favor are the silent ones. Sorry, no cigar. ETA: if it weren't for folks like Mr. C. Martin, who rallied the citizens to oppose the dumb idea that council had to go to parallel parking on Lakeshore (and lose many parking stalls), they may have pushed that through. Thankfully, Democracy reigned and the city came to their senses. The lone owner of Trio has publicly stated that the slides are NOT going to happen (now THAT I see as a positive step).

Quote by Fluffy:

I support their downtown and beachfront beautification work. I supported the waterslides proposal. I support metered parking at tourist hotspots. And I will support the upcoming property tax increase.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There ya go. We disagree. Ain't that special?

XT225 wrote:Oh, I know...the ones in favor are the silent ones.

What, you've never heard that those that know the least, know it the loudest? :)
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:There ya go. We disagree. Ain't that special?

Not a problem; we can agree to disagree; heck its Friday, anyways!

Return to “South Okanagan”