Penticton FireDept rescue boat

Darkre
Board Meister

Re: Penticton FireDept rescue boat

Post by Darkre »

During severe weather zodiacs have trouble staying in place due to their lack of weight. Wind and waves throw them around more than a regular boat. They are a great first responder vehicle, get there quick, get a couple of uninjured people out of the water and get back to shore but that is all they are good at. Honestly the best thing about a zodiac is that if it flips over in rough water you know it's going to float.

For 250K I would hope that the PFD was looking to provide more than first response services with the boat. A multi-purpose vehicle capable of dousing fires and getting injured people out of the water. It would appear that the Naramata Fire Dept. found that an aluminum would be more than adequate for their needs as that is what they purchased for only 47K. http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-183006-21-.htm
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Darkre wrote:During severe weather zodiacs have trouble staying in place due to their lack of weight. Wind and waves throw them around more than a regular boat. They are a great first responder vehicle, get there quick, get a couple of uninjured people out of the water and get back to shore but that is all they are good at. Honestly the best thing about a zodiac is that if it flips over in rough water you know it's going to float.

For 250K I would hope that the PFD was looking to provide more than first response services with the boat. A multi-purpose vehicle capable of dousing fires and getting injured people out of the water. It would appear that the Naramata Fire Dept. found that an aluminum would be more than adequate for their needs as that is what they purchased for only 47K. http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-183006-21-.htm

I agree completely. For the dollars being spent, something that is more versatile would be a better sell. Perhaps my earlier phrasing of "entitled" was too harsh and perhaps the better way was Fluffy's reference to "the Horn of Plenty". We are after all a fairly small base of taxpayers and it would be nice if our emergency responders would think more about that. Many trades and professionals would like the proverbial perfect tool for every possible job but somewhere in the equation the reality has to come down to what is the best bang for the buck instead of assuming the Horn is always willing and able.
Perhaps the smart thing for the New Fire Chief to do is take this RDOS rejection of funding and scale back to something that is still excellent albeit a little less than perfect.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
mayor quimby

Post by mayor quimby »

Perhaps they are looking for something like what the central Okanagan has for their rescue boats.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I recall several times in the Summers, seeing "Canada Coast Guard" boats in Okanagan lake, checking for things with boaters. Would this not indicate that the waters of Okanagan Lake are actually Federal responsibility? If so, then why wouldn't the Federal Liberals be paying for a rescue boat?

Seems to me that every time it hits the water, it is outside the jurisdiction of either Penticton or the RDOS.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:I recall several times in the Summers, seeing "Canada Coast Guard" boats in Okanagan lake, checking for things with boaters. Would this not indicate that the waters of Okanagan Lake are actually Federal responsibility? If so, then why wouldn't the Federal Liberals be paying for a rescue boat?

Seems to me that every time it hits the water, it is outside the jurisdiction of either Penticton or the RDOS.

Well they got a couple of seadoo's so they could go up the channel. That's Federally controlled water as well. That's about 30k for two toys. Airspace is Federal too. Maybe the next toy on the Fire Dept's list will be a helicopter.
A bit off topic but still a subject of taxpayers paying for our "hero's" largess when it comes to budgets.....how about four new RCMP in the next three yrs at 170k a pop while the population has increased by 1k? Problem here is the RCMP don't need the City's permission to do so even though we pay 90% of the tab. They can just do what they want and send us the bill.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Holy smokes this thread is really silly,

The people that use this equipment clearly know exactly what they need for what they are doing. They have done the research and they have done the checks. If they need this to do their job then they need it.

As for the people that have added the RCMP equipment and such as over the top examples of expenses might I suggest you take the time to look at the cost of a municipal force vs what the RCMP has to offer a "small town."

If the town needs ERT, Helicopter, divers, trackers, or any other specialized group, then the "small town" has access to it.

How much would it cost to get these groups paid for my the municipality. The Province covers these expenses.

If the Fire Department needs this specialized equipment it means that YOUR insurance rates are affected. They need this stuff to do their jobs safely.

Get off your high horses and do some research or even better, why not ask them yourselves directly?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Chyren wrote:Holy smokes this thread is really silly,

The people that use this equipment clearly know exactly what they need for what they are doing. They have done the research and they have done the checks. If they need this to do their job then they need it.

As for the people that have added the RCMP equipment and such as over the top examples of expenses might I suggest you take the time to look at the cost of a municipal force vs what the RCMP has to offer a "small town."

If the town needs ERT, Helicopter, divers, trackers, or any other specialized group, then the "small town" has access to it.

How much would it cost to get these groups paid for my the municipality. The Province covers these expenses.

If the Fire Department needs this specialized equipment it means that YOUR insurance rates are affected. They need this stuff to do their jobs safely.

Get off your high horses and do some research or even better, why not ask them yourselves directly?

I don't think that anyone is arguing that the boat is not needed. As you stated above, the Province covers these expenses, for other services. Why then would the province or the Feds not cover a new boat? Is Okanagan Lake actually in the city or out?
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I have to wonder why other municipalities whose FD's also service OK lake were able to make do with a boat at almost 1/4 the price? And what the Penticton boat will do that the other areas boat doesn't do.

Will Penticton's boat be housed at the Fire Hall? or will they require a boat house at the marina now? :135:

we need a "high horse" icon...
On a different forum
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I think it might be you on a high horse here......most likely cuz you or family is directly employed in these fields. I have no problem whatsoever in questioning the perceived needs of the FD or RCMP. It is my right as a taxpayer and ultimate payer of those wishlists. I don't believe every schmuck contractor that gives me a quote for a job.....I question them about needs and have an opportunity to get other opinions. But somehow, if the RD or RCMP say they need something it is god-speak and I should just sit down, shut up, and accept it? Get real. We have a right to accountability.
The RCMP presentation to Council was laughable. What was even more funny about it was that it was Picton's query of "how do you justify four new positions when the population growth has been stagnant?" First smart question Picton has asked in two years and it was a beauty. You tell us to just "ask them ourselves". Well that is exactly what Picton did. He asked the two RCMP reps making the presentation and neither one of them could answer it.
So who looks stupid here? The people asking for some justification for another 600 plus k per year, or the people asking for that money with no answer?
I would hope there would be some really red faces and questions asked at the RCMP station the day after such an unprepared blunder request for an additional 600k per yr but I doubt it given the history of "if we think you need it, you are going to pay for it". Would it not have been sweet to see the local detachment come to the meeting and say something like Headquarters in Ottawa has new operational guidelines that would require us to increase our member numbers by four in the next three years. And given the proven need for infrastructure upgrades in the Community we cover, we have reported back to Ottawa brass that given the static population growth, we don't see a need to increase our expense on the local taxpayers at this time.

Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

twobits wrote:I have no problem whatsoever in questioning the perceived needs of the FD or RCMP. It is my right as a taxpayer and ultimate payer of those wishlists. I don't believe every schmuck contractor that gives me a quote for a job.....I question them about needs and have an opportunity to get other opinions. But somehow, if the RD or RCMP say they need something it is god-speak and I should just sit down, shut up, and accept it? Get real. We have a right to accountability.
The RCMP presentation to Council was laughable. What was even more funny about it was that it was Picton's query of "how do you justify four new positions when the population growth has been stagnant?" First smart question Picton has asked in two years and it was a beauty. You tell us to just "ask them ourselves". Well that is exactly what Picton did. He asked the two RCMP reps making the presentation and neither one of them could answer it.
So who looks stupid here? The people asking for some justification for another 600 plus k per year, or the people asking for that money with no answer?

I missed the RCMP presentation, but good for Councillor Picton. I have to agree with everything you said here and, FWIW, I believe your attitude is best described as "engaged". Thought that was something we were trying to promote in this community?

What I'm starting to find silly, is all the speculation around this boat, and I don't believe that's something castanet posters are responsible for. This thread has been alive for over a month and there really isn't any more information available. Or, at least I haven't been able to find any. Personally, I had the impression they were trying to purchase a specialized Zodiac, but now I'm seeing drawings of what appears to be an aluminum boat.

We have an engagement officer and a communications officer working for the city, and with that in mind, having someone at the fire hall answering individual questions seems kind of inefficient to me.

What is the Fire Department trying to fund to the tune of $180,000? I get the part about a boat and it's for the Fire Department, but seriously... WHAT is it and WHY are we spending so much money on it?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
mayor quimby

Post by mayor quimby »

So with a very small bit of google research I was able to see where just to the north of Penticton two rescue boats were purchased in 2014 for $305,000. One is in lake country and the larger one is in Peachland.

Both are ridged hull inflatables, with aluminum hulls.

I guess that would explain the cost of such a boat, our neighbors to the north just bought two. And the costs are about the same.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The new rescue boat would operate year-round and serve the southern end of the lake from its mooring at the Penticton Yacht Club marina.  The 24-foot vessel features an aluminum hull and twin jet engines to deal with the extreme conditions of Okanagan Lake, making it significantly safer for all those on the water including boaters, swimmers and paddlers.

The PFD is looking for donations – large or small. Sponsorship opportunities include branding on the vessel and are available for donations of $5,000.

http://www.gofundme.com/raise-the-ancho ... rescue-201
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mayor quimby wrote:So with a very small bit of google research I was able to see where just to the north of Penticton two rescue boats were purchased in 2014 for $305,000. One is in lake country and the larger one is in Peachland.

Both are ridged hull inflatables, with aluminum hulls.

I guess that would explain the cost of such a boat, our neighbors to the north just bought two. And the costs are about the same.

Who bought and paid for them? It was the RDCO, not the Peachland or Lake Country Fire Dept's.

The fleet is managed by the Central Okanagan Regional Rescue Program, which has vessels stationed in Kelowna, Lake Country and Peachland. The program is funded by local governments, though the province reimburses costs when boats are called to respond to an emergency.

There are three boats in the fleet with the third being in Kelowna. So given this info, why does the Penticton need to buy a boat that is 30k more in cost for a much smaller response requirement and we pay the full pull?

pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:
Who bought and paid for them? It was the RDCO, not the Peachland or Lake Country Fire Dept's.

The fleet is managed by the Central Okanagan Regional Rescue Program, which has vessels stationed in Kelowna, Lake Country and Peachland. The program is funded by local governments, though the province reimburses costs when boats are called to respond to an emergency.

There are three boats in the fleet with the third being in Kelowna. So given this info, why does the Penticton need to buy a boat that is 30k more in cost for a much smaller response requirement and we pay the full pull?

If that is the case, then why not insist that our regional district foot the bill, not just city of Penticton taxpayers?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I talked to someone from Summerland, who said that the Summerland Fire Dept used to have a rescue boat for Okanagan Lake. Not sure why they would have got rid of it.

It doesn't appear that the RDOS will help fund a new boat but surely the city of Summerland should, if the Penticton boat covers even a portion of Summerland's area of Okanagan Lake.

I do not agree that Penticton taxpayers should be on the hook for the entire amount.

Return to “South Okanagan”