Searching for the homeless man with dog and 2 cats

whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Searching for the homeless man with dog and 2 cats

Post by whatwhat »

totoramona wrote:It's ironic that you mention the lunacy of a homeless person having pets.... lunacy indeed, is often the cause of homelessness, and we fail to address it adequately as a society.
Becoming righteous about caring for the animal properly while adding to the sorrow of the homeless man is truly disturbing.

Couldn't agree more!

People wonder why people who are homeless would choose to have a pet living in the same situation, but you don't have to look far for an answer. Even on these forums, it is easy to find the discourse that our community has towards the homeless population and it ain't pretty. It isn't surprising that some people who are homeless choose the companionship and unconditional love of an animal over the hate, stereotyping and degrading of humans.
hail Satan y'all
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

twobits wrote: Giving the man a fish for the day will only perpetuate both his meager circumstance and that of the animals.

Sometimes that is all that can be done. Not everyone can learn to fish.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Piecemaker wrote:
Sometimes that is all that can be done. Not everyone can learn to fish.

There are plenty of resources available for the few that truly cannot learn to fish. As to the majority of them, why would they want to fish when we have people like you and toto enabling them to a degree and with multiple pets to boot. I am not as much of a hard azz as you think but I do see a need for a line to be drawn in public support and what it goes to. And without clouding the issue with the "mental health" card, I definitely draw the line where the person gets the resources and not three pets.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote: I am not as much of a hard azz as you think but I do see a need for a line to be drawn in public support and what it goes to. And without clouding the issue with the "mental health" card, I definitely draw the line where the person gets the resources and not three pets.

The challenge is drawing the line in a place where people truly in need of public support can be separated from those who could be supporting themselves but simply choose the easy road.

In any event, it's my guess that the original poster had nothing but good in his/her heart when they asked for help here. Receiving a barrage of criticism instead of help was probably not what they had in mind.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

twobits wrote:There are plenty of resources available for the few that truly cannot learn to fish. As to the majority of them, why would they want to fish when we have people like you and toto enabling them to a degree and with multiple pets to boot. I am not as much of a hard azz as you think but I do see a need for a line to be drawn in public support and what it goes to. And without clouding the issue with the "mental health" card, I definitely draw the line where the person gets the resources and not three pets.

"Plenty of resources"... might be overstating the reality of the situation as far as homelessness goes.

"line to be drawn in public support"... The SPCA is supported by the public, the homeless shelters are supported by the public, soup kitchens are supported by the public and food banks are supported by the public. All resources supported by a mix of public tax and public donation dollars. So what's the big deal about supporting the homeless man and the dog together, without forcing them to be separated?

And why, twobits, would you quote "mental health card"? It's not a card that's played to get free stuff. It's a very real and very unfortunate condition that so many people struggle with, often leading to poor judgment.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

fluffy wrote:The challenge is drawing the line in a place where people truly in need of public support can be separated from those who could be supporting themselves but simply choose the easy road.

Since when is homelessness, living out of a shopping cart and spending freezing nights in doorways, "the easy road"? Quite the opposite, I would think.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Since when is homelessness, living out of a shopping cart and spending freezing nights in doorways, "the easy road"? Quite the opposite, I would think.

Because it has little reponsibilty attached to it.

The OP was looking for help to find a person who they were willing to help and she/he got an earful of opinions which were not asked for and not required.

The circumstance is what it is and while I share the concern for the animals, I also applaud the concern for the group as offered by the OP.

If you're not willing to help wioth your actions, at least keep your effin opinions to yourself since they weren't asked for.

To the OP. If I can help you to help them, please let me know.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

I totally agree with the OP!
Both the homeless man and his pets need help and I sincerely hope they can remain together.
There is nothing about being homeless that is easy, and I hope the OP's care package finds its way to this man.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

totoramona wrote:Since when is homelessness, living out of a shopping cart and spending freezing nights in doorways, "the easy road"? Quite the opposite, I would think.

Questions like that need to be qualified with some information on the particular individuals involved. You can't paint with such broad strokes when each case is unique. Is this individual even seeking help ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote:
"Plenty of resources"... might be overstating the reality of the situation as far as homelessness goes.

Read your own list below
totoramona wrote:"line to be drawn in public support"... The SPCA is supported by the public, the homeless shelters are supported by the public, soup kitchens are supported by the public and food banks are supported by the public. All resources supported by a mix of public tax and public donation dollars. So what's the big deal about supporting the homeless man and the dog together, without forcing them to be separated?

I dunno,but it seems to me that there are in fact a lot of public resources available to this man including the SPCA so his three pets receive proper food and shelter he obviously is having problems with according to the OP's post. You should also re read the OP's post. Take note also in one of my previous posts where I said I understood the need and benefit of a companion pet. I have a wee bit of a problem with a homeless person however with three pets and your notion that somehow this is a good situation for both the animals and the man.
Have you even considered the notion that the man might be better off himself, find it easier to find shelter or accomodation if there were not only one, but three animals that came with him? Will the shelters available to him even take him with three animals in tow and is his street dwelling possibly even caused by this? That is why I suggested to the OP that perhaps the best charity for both the man and the animals was to offer to temp adopt the animals to be reclaimed when either his circumstances or the weather improved.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:

Questions like that need to be qualified with some information on the particular individuals involved. You can't paint with such broad strokes when each case is unique. Is this individual even seeking help ?

You are correct fluff, each case needs to be assessed individually. But whatever the cause for the situation, be it lose of employment, disability, mental health issues, or drug addiction......I think most thinking and reasonable people would agree there is no positive outcome or reasoning for perpetuating the situation via back alley assistance for three animals the man has no business keeping.

Static
Guru

Post by Static »

The guy lives out of his campervan. He has shelter. Tons of people live this way. I wouldn't consider it homelessness.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:The guy lives out of his campervan. He has shelter. Tons of people live this way. I wouldn't consider it homelessness.

Ya, it's all about story spin isn't it? If the new definition of homeless is living in an RV with a furnace, stove, fridge and a bed is homeless, a whole lot of seniors who spent their lives working towards that type of living are also homeless.

w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

To me, anyone that doesn't own and have control of their accommodations is homeless. OR they can be with 60 days notice from their landlord.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.

Return to “South Okanagan”