Searching for the homeless man with dog and 2 cats

debozarko

Searching for the homeless man with dog and 2 cats

Post by debozarko »

Two weeks ago I met a homeless man outside of a Starbucks on the corner of main street in Penticton. He had a dog, two cats and a shopping cart piled high with his belongings. He called himself "Wolf" and told me that he lives in Okanagan park in a tent with his animals. I've been beside myself with worry about his animals (and him) during this terrible cold. I've put together a package to help him. Its filled with pet food, warm clothing, a coat for his dog (who was shivering 2 weeks ago when it was much warmer), food, etc. I was in Penticton today (I live in West Kelowna) and couldn't find him. I spoke to the people at the cold weather shelter, went to the Soup kitchen and have word out with a social worker. Has anyone in Penticton seen this fellow? If so, any ideas where I can find him, or if possible, how I can connect with him? Any leads are gratefully accepted. Thanks.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Searching for the homeless man with dog and 2 cats

Post by fluffy »

There's a pretty active local facebook page you might inquire at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2218394074/?ref=bookmarks
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
debozarko

Post by debozarko »

Darn, I'm not on Facebook. Any other ideas?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I wonder if the RCMP might know?
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

debozarko wrote:Darn, I'm not on Facebook. Any other ideas?

If you like, I could copy and paste your request to the FB page with a link to this thread. Would that work?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
debozarko

Post by debozarko »

Thank you for your help! I think I may have a solid lead. I called the Starbucks where we met him 2 weeks ago and they confirmed that he's been regularly there. I think they give him free coffee and know him well. One of the employees today told us that he is now living in a van with his animals, which seems so much better than a tent. He's also been spotted at the soup kitchen so I think I'll head down to Penticton again this weekend and see if I can find him there during their lunch hour.

I will keep you posted. Feeling cautiously hopeful.
debozarko

Post by debozarko »

Fluffy, I would be grateful for your willingness to post my request to FB. Perhaps that will give me an even clearer picture of his whereabouts. Very grateful for your concern!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I admire your humanity and applaud your efforts but I have to ask why a person in this kind of situation, has a dog and two cats?? I don't want to sound like an SOB but "really"? Having a companion is one thing but a menagerie is quite another and some, myself included, think this kind of situation is actually a form of animal cruelty and inappropriate. Trying to support three animals is neither fair to the animals or himself.
If you do find him, perhaps you might consider temp adoption of those animals until the weather or his situation improves or help him find someone who might.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
debozarko

Post by debozarko »

I could tell that he really loves his animal companions—that was palpable when we first met. I'm concerned about an eye infection that his dog had. I'm also concerned about him. The problem is much bigger than either/or. I'm not willing to get political. I just want to find him and help him...all of them!
Last edited by debozarko on Dec 16th, 2016, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

In addition to these challenges, homeless pet owners face a lot of stigma. As Irvine, Walsh and Kahl point out: homeless people are often criticized and attacked for having pets. Strangers offer to buy the animals, or threaten to call animal control organizations. As a result, homeless pet owners constantly “redefine pet ownership to incorporate how they provide for their animals, challenging definitions that require a physical home.”

James, one participant in Boulder, pointed out that housed pet owners are not examined in the same way homeless ones are:

“Certain people should not own animals, OK? I totally agree that there are some people on the streets…there’s no way they can take care of a dog… But it goes the same way with people that got houses and jobs. You ain’t got the time to spend with the animal, ’cause you’re so busy at work trying to keep that house that you have and pay your car payments, that your dog is neglected and doesn’t see you but when you come home, and when you come home, you just want to eat and go to bed. That dog—that’s mistreatment, too.”.

http://www.homelesshub.ca/blog/why-do-h ... have-pets#
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Does anyone else find it weird and sad that comments are made about concern for the "pets' welfare", "animal cruelty" and the "appropriateness" of the situation when all the while a person is clearly struggling? Seriously... those pets are ALL that person has! It is cruel and inappropriate that poverty of such depth, to the point of homelessness and freezing to death on the streets is allowed to exist in our civil society. Perhaps those animals curling up around that man have kept him alive through this weather. Those pets are doing more for him than any of us are.
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

I agree with twobits....there is barely enough food for people in the food banks let alone dogs, cats, birds etc etc etc.
This thing of making animals suffer because of one persons misfortune doesn't make sense. If this guy needs something to hug...get a stuffed toy....and let the money spent on dog food be spent on food and clothes for the homeless or medicine for families that need it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't begrudge someone needing a companion - cannot compare with a stuffed toy. Who knows what the circumstances were when he first got the animals. Hope they are found so they can be looked after.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote:Does anyone else find it weird and sad that comments are made about concern for the "pets' welfare", "animal cruelty" and the "appropriateness" of the situation when all the while a person is clearly struggling? Seriously... those pets are ALL that person has! It is cruel and inappropriate that poverty of such depth, to the point of homelessness and freezing to death on the streets is allowed to exist in our civil society. Perhaps those animals curling up around that man have kept him alive through this weather. Those pets are doing more for him than any of us are.

The obvious difference is that the "human" has some control over his circumstance, the animals in his possession do not. If he was truly compassionate about these three pets, he should recognize that both they and himself would be better off if they were adopted, if even temporarily, until his circumstances however caused were changed and improved.
Even the SPCA would not allow this person to adopt even one cat. And for pretty obvious reasons I think. Further to that, the SPCA can seize any animal that is not provided proper food, water and shelter on a regular and continual basis. Please tell me how a homeless person provides shelter that meets the SPCA definition??
This is not a comment on caring for the animals more than the man. It is a comment on the lunacy of a homeless person having three pets when even employed and housed people know what it takes to maintain one, never mind three pets, with proper food and vet care. Giving the man a fish for the day will only perpetuate both his meager circumstance and that of the animals.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

twobits wrote: Further to that, the SPCA can seize any animal that is not provided proper food, water and shelter on a regular and continual basis. Please tell me how a homeless person provides shelter that meets the SPCA definition??
This is not a comment on caring for the animals more than the man. It is a comment on the lunacy of a homeless person having three pets when even employed and housed people know what it takes to maintain one, never mind three pets, with proper food and vet care. Giving the man a fish for the day will only perpetuate both his meager circumstance and that of the animals.

My comment is on the sad fact that we recognize that it isn't right to fail to provide proper food, water and shelter to animals, and have agencies such as the SPCA to enforce this, but we do not have means in place to ensure these necessities are provided to all people. Maybe it should be mandated by municipal law that there are enough homeless shelters to accommodate men, women and families in every city. Just as it is against the law to fail to provide the necessities for health and happiness for an animal, it should be against the law to fail to provide adequate necessities for all people within the city limits. And that should include people with the sorts of struggles that homeless people may have, such as drug addiction and mental illness. It's ironic that you mention the lunacy of a homeless person having pets.... lunacy indeed, is often the cause of homelessness, and we fail to address it adequately as a society.
Becoming righteous about caring for the animal properly while adding to the sorrow of the homeless man is truly disturbing.

Return to “South Okanagan”