Buddha of the Board

Chief Louie gets Order of Canada

Post by maryjane48 »

congrats chief
Tony
Übergod

Re: chief louie gets order of canada

Post by Tony »

Well deserved. He's an awesome leader and has brought the OIB to new levels. Congratulations Chief
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Chief Louie gets Order of Canada

Post by fluffy »

Totally agree, an inspirational leader.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
57Rhino

Post by 57Rhino »

Great recognition...congratulations...as a "have" band perhaps the Chief could reach out to "have not" bands and provide some expertise, encouragement, etc.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I wish for a day when "Grand Chief" is followed By Clarence Louie rather than Stewart Phillip.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

I agree, congratulations Chief Louie
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

twobits wrote:I wish for a day when "Grand Chief" is followed By Clarence Louie rather than Stewart Phillip.

Just a corollary thought to that post. I understand why we cannot vote for the Chief or Council of of a FN Band. Same as why FN's cannot vote for Mayor and Council. But when we leap to the Provincial and Federal level of representation, why are FN's permitted to vote, and the rest of us are not when it comes to that level of FN representation? And to be perfectly clear, I AM NOT SUGGESTING FN'S BE STRIPPED OF THEIR VOTES. Personally, I would just like to have the opportunity to vote for the FN candidate I thought best represented my interests at the Provincial and Federal levels.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

twobits wrote:I wish for a day when "Grand Chief" is followed By Clarence Louie rather than Stewart Phillip.

While I completely agree with where you're coming from, I don't think Chief Clarence Louie would accept the position. He has always seemed, to me, to be genuinely focused on helping the people who elected him to grow and prosper, and showing what can be accomplished with a positive and businesslike attitude. It seems to me the Grand Chief position is more suited to someone who enjoys grinding political axes, and it's probably not a comfortable position for someone who's accustomed to getting things done.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

rustled wrote:While I completely agree with where you're coming from, I don't think Chief Clarence Louie would accept the position. He has always seemed, to me, to be genuinely focused on helping the people who elected him to grow and prosper, and showing what can be accomplished with a positive and businesslike attitude. It seems to me the Grand Chief position is more suited to someone who enjoys grinding political axes, and it's probably not a comfortable position for someone who's accustomed to getting things done.

I agree with you. Hence my postulation of "I wish for a day when....." Perhaps it would be better of me to say "I dream of a Day". But would it not be refreshing to have someone more accustomed to getting things done rather than someone with an axe to grind that will never get sharp enough to satisfy him?

Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

twobits wrote:Personally, I would just like to have the opportunity to vote for the FN candidate I thought best represented my interests at the Provincial and Federal levels.

I can understand how you feel compelled to have a say in the FN representative (even I don't get a say, only the elected chiefs do), but that would be the same as those people who own a home in Penticton, but because they don't reside there, they are not given the vote. Or, say someone, such as myself, who uses the City of Penticton services and businesses, but do not get to vote in the election serving my interest.
I congratulate Chief Clarence Louie on his recognition.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote: but that would be the same as those people who own a home in Penticton, but because they don't reside there, they are not given the vote.

Sorry, you are incorrect. If you own a home in Penticton, even you, you are entitled to vote for City Council. That would be only if you did not own or rent another property in the City as you can can only vote once as a resident. Only company owned property does not provide a vote. That is wrong as they too pay taxes, but another topic. Anyone that owns a piece of property in their own personal name is entitled to one vote in a civic election.

Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

My mistake. It's been a while since I looked into voting civically. But in regards to a business owner not being able to vote... that's definitely being denied an integral voice for the best interest of your business. For example, say if BRITCO is the city's largest employer, wouldn't it seem important for the one writing the cheques to have a vote? After all, they contribute the most to the tax base via property tax, business permits (are they taxable by the city?)
Sorry, just thinking about all those people who don't get to vote, but yeah, poor you not being able to vote on a non-governing body that has abso-freakin-lutely nothing to do with you.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dawnland wrote:My mistake. It's been a while since I looked into voting civically. But in regards to a business owner not being able to vote... that's definitely being denied an integral voice for the best interest of your business. For example, say if BRITCO is the city's largest employer, wouldn't it seem important for the one writing the cheques to have a vote? After all, they contribute the most to the tax base via property tax, business permits (are they taxable by the city?)
Sorry, just thinking about all those people who don't get to vote, but yeah, poor you not being able to vote on a non-governing body that has abso-freakin-lutely nothing to do with you.

I read in the Herald today the the City of Penticton "Official Community Plan" needs updating and that it is suggested that a 17 person task force be set up to make recommendations for changes to the plan. Persons would be selected from various areas, (RDOS, School district, business community, development community, industrial community, AND the Penticton Indian Band, plus 11 members at large).

Now nice to include our neighbours to the West of the channel. Sounds like a friendly plan; and one that Chief Louie would definately approve of and yes, I know he isn't the local chief here.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I like Clarence Louie because he tells people to stop reading tabloids.

Clarence Louie says things anyone other than a respected indigenous leader couldn’t get away with.

His advice to young men on his home reserve? “Get a damn job, be a man. It should be embarrassing for you to raise your kids on welfare.”

Looking to succeed in the workplace? “Be punctual. Be on time. Indian time doesn’t cut it.”

Deciding what to read? “Too many times I go into Indian people’s houses, even on my own rez, I see tabloids. Tabloids? That’s what you read? You’re never going to be a leader reading tabloids.

- See more at: http://www.thereminder.ca/news/local-ne ... BdJPM.dpuf
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “South Okanagan”