Speaking of parking!

southy
Lord of the Board

Speaking of parking!

Post by southy »

Unfortunately I can't find the stories that ran in local papers about a contractor who wanted to park his work trailer on street at construction sites. In these stories mr. Weeber said no you can't without a permit. Costly permit. Where I'm going with this is I drive down Industrial daily .. Have you seen the number of vehicles parked on the street behind the hospital across from the hospital parking lot? Some vehicles are actually hanging out into the traffic lane. Then if you turn left on Camrose same story. I assume these vehicles belong to hospital employees who don't want to pay for parking in their new employee lot. Where is the city on this one? Who do I sue when I hit one of those vehicles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Speaking of parking!

Post by Bsuds »

If they are not parked legally then complain to Bylaw enforcement.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Bsuds wrote:If they are not parked legally then complain to Bylaw enforcement.

You are missing my point - COP says one thing but allows another. I'm speaking of the contractor who couldn't leave his trailer parked on the street while working without jumping through 101 hoops. And I really don't believe the area I'm speaking of is ok for legal parking, especially when they are parked right up to a stop sign so it becomes difficult to see around the corner. There is a brand new parking lot right beside both of these streets - but I guess some choose free over paying. Wait a sec .. could that happen down on Lakeside where the new meters are? I mean lets encourage everyone to park a couple blocks away in residential areas because there it is free.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

southy wrote:Unfortunately I can't find the stories that ran in local papers about a contractor who wanted to park his work trailer on street at construction sites. In these stories mr. Weeber said no you can't without a permit. Costly permit. Where I'm going with this is I drive down Industrial daily .. Have you seen the number of vehicles parked on the street behind the hospital across from the hospital parking lot? Some vehicles are actually hanging out into the traffic lane. Then if you turn left on Camrose same story. I assume these vehicles belong to hospital employees who don't want to pay for parking in their new employee lot. Where is the city on this one? Who do I sue when I hit one of those vehicles?

I recall that story as well, though can't recall the date. I've heard re the Hospital, that some staff do not like the gravel parking lot where the old Drive-In was, as they made the spaces really tight and people are getting their cars dinged up, so many just park on Industrial.

Re Lakeshore, I honestly cannot see the city going ahead this year with paid parking from the Peach to Power Street, it will/would cost them dearly come next Election. I would like to see two or maybe three hour limits imposed on Lakeshore though, as some downtown workers are parking there all day.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

The incident was Gartner's Bobcat Service leaving an equipment trailer unattached to a vehicle on a public road easement. It is illegal to park any trailer....utility to semi....on a public road easement if it is not attached to an insured tow vehicle.
Someone complained about Gartner's trailer and he got ticketed. These sort of infractions are only followed up on a complaint basis. In other words, bylaw officers will ignore them unless they are complaint driven unless there is a directive to look for a specific infraction. And that is always revenue driven such as parking infractions where to revenue to cost to enforce is low. That means metered parking and parking lots. Driving thru the industrial area looking for infractions does not cover fuel and wages.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

twobits wrote:Driving thru the industrial area looking for infractions does not cover fuel and wages.

Bylaw enforcement doesn't seem to exist outside of the downtown core.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Just hang in there Bunny ... I'm sure the city will find ways to expand meters and paid parking. I'm also curious if there is anyone out there who has had to obtain a parking permit for the front of their home. How does this work or does it? Do you have to pay for it? What if someone else parks in your designated spot ... What recourse do you have?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bunnyhop wrote:
Bylaw enforcement doesn't seem to exist outside of the downtown core.

It does exist, but it is complaint driven except for parking meters and paid parking lots owned by the City. There are enough bylaw infractions in town to keep ten bylaw officers busy full time and it would be a really good revenue source for the City as well. There are fines in place for unkept properties, fence heights, snow removal of sidewalks, RV parking past the front set back of the house, home business signage, temporary business signage reader boards, watering on the wrong day, not picking up dog poop, dogs on beach, unlicensed dogs, uninsured vehicle storage past limits on residential property........I could go on for two pages.
The thing is, we have a system of bylaw enforcement that is complaint driven in response. It is a "live and let live" attitude unless it is bothering someone enough to complain. Most Cities and local Gov'ts follow this process. It's pretty much a topic of discussion on it's own but should bylaws be enforced for all infractions....almost a police state of required compliance, or should it be complaint driven?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”