Sure has been quiet at city hall!!

southy
Lord of the Board

Sure has been quiet at city hall!!

Post by southy »

Sure been quiet what’s up at city hall. Only thing we hear is mayor Jak saying Trio not getting a liquor license is old news. He should know. Saw Tarik Sayeed with John Horgan today … wonder if his honesty and transparency will follow him into an NDP elected position? I think not. Do the other councillors at city hall actually speak? Haven’t heard a word from the likes of Martin, Sentes,, Konanz, Watt, the kid (what’s his name) and even Mayor Jak is extremely quiet these days. Seems Mr. Weeber the CAO has become the official spokesperson for city hall. Would appear Communications Officer Mark Parker is doing his job. Let us see how this all plays out? Gee where’s James Miller when we need a little excitement and some breaking news. Speaking of being quiet … where’s Twobits these days, he usually has a lot of good background information with regard to City Hall to share. Oh well it is April and folks are thinking about spring. Enjoy the long weekend all. But hey .. remember if you do hear of anything exciting happening over at city hall please do share it because something tells me that things simply can’t be running that smoothly. Just my opinion though  :D .
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Sure has been quiet at city hall!!

Post by southy »

Now I understand why they are trying to muzzle councillors [icon_lol2.gif]
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/life/arti ... 7e032.html

I suppose when you know you won't be re-elected you can get away with saying anything ....
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I agree with Councillor Sentes's comments. Sometimes these whiners who will take any opportunity to complain even when no legitimate reason to complain exists just need to be slapped down.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Now I understand why they are trying to muzzle councillors [icon_lol2.gif]
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/life/arti ... 7e032.html

I suppose when you know you won't be re-elected you can get away with saying anything ....

I thought Mrs. Sentes "high and mighty" attitude was disgusting. She likely has no intention of running for council next year, because you just don't put people down in that manner if you are trying to keep the senior population on your side. She may know a fair bit about politics but her arrogance is uncalled for.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:I agree with Councillor Sentes's comments. Sometimes these whiners who will take any opportunity to complain even when no legitimate reason to complain exists just need to be slapped down.

The POINT of the matter is that there was no need for the arrogance that was attached to her comment. Every taxpayer is entitled to their opinion. For her to say what she did was totally inappropriate and could have been handled in a more sensitive manner considering that this person was probably a senior. Besides even though Harry has done well in the wine industry this does not give him God status. The comment was wrong plain and simple.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well I'm going to reserve further comment until I've had a chance to view the video of the meeting. I would no more trust Mr. Miller to deliver an unbiased report on council than I would expect any level of objectivity from any of the career council badgers here.

The part about that article that stood out for me was that Mr. Pohl was talking about problems that do not exist yet, and may never come to pass, and that there are already bylaws in place to deal with them should they arise. Did he expect the license to be denied for reasons that are only a remote possibility? That perhaps Mr. McWaters would care about his neighbours?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/city/mayor-council/council-meetings/2017/tuesday-april-18th-evening.html

The relevant section is near the twelve minute mark on the video for the evening meeting.

There is no issue with Councillor Sentes's behavior here. I did, however, find Mr. Pohl's efforts to hinder the project based on "what-ifs" a textbook example of NIMBYism.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

She could have handled it a lot better. And speaking of arrogance at around the 21:06 minute mark do you notice Mr. Weeber give a wink to I assume Councillor Sentes .. now that's bad knowing he had a camera on him. But hey .. just another night at city hall.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well, one could also say that it speaks rather well for council that you have to dig so deep for something to criticize. :)
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

No Fluff - no digging needed pretty obvious. Just doing my job as career council badger as you so eloquently put it. [icon_lol2.gif] Again I stress THE POINT of the matter that there simply is no need for the arrogance displayed by this group.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I disagree. I saw no arrogance in either Ms. Sentes's language or inflection.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:...career council badger as you so eloquently put it.

Hehe, actually a little auto-correct booboo that I missed. But eloquent works for me if it works for you. :)
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I really like how she said it. I hope there was some attitude behind how she said it. I for one do not believe in the "you represent all citizens" BS that some think the Councillors must have. They represent what's best for the Majority of the citizens or in worst case scenario what's best for them regardless of their naivety or ignorance.
NIMBY's are too well represented in this city and their voices are much louder than they should be. I really just want to tell them to shut the @#$# up most times. They have messed up agendas that are sooooo myopic as to be laughable, and not in a good way.
Over and over I here, mostly elderly, bitching and complaining about everything. Maybe because they don't like change or can't handle change or are just scared. I do not care about their opinions and love the fact this business is going ahead. More business more business more business. Shout it from the highest mountain. Drown out those that would have us stagnate forever.
Enough of the Grumpy Old Men and Women. Enough.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think Ms. Sentes nailed it with her reference to the owner of the business, Harry McWaters. The suggestion that he was going to run the business in an irresponsible or disrespectful manner was insulting.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

southy wrote:
The POINT of the matter is that there was no need for the arrogance that was attached to her comment. Every taxpayer is entitled to their opinion. For her to say what she did was totally inappropriate and could have been handled in a more sensitive manner considering that this person was probably a senior. Besides even though Harry has done well in the wine industry this does not give him God status. The comment was wrong plain and simple.

I watched the video. Not sure I would use the word Arrogant to describe J. Sentes' comments. More like Hoyty-Toyty and stuffy. Never liked her attitude; I think that she feels that she is above most of society. I doubt that her name will be on the ballot next fall.

Return to “South Okanagan”