Osoyoos residents buying groceries etc in USA?

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Osoyoos residents buying groceries etc in USA?

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:If someone is constantly crossing border picking up large amounts of similar items, I'd suspect red flags would start flying with Customs pretty quickly

The level of security coming back into Canada is noticeably lower than heading south, but that's understandable given the nature of US politics. I probably get down there maybe six to ten times a year, most of those visits being three or four hours duration, and have a very short list of times I've been delayed in either direction.

Typical questions entering the US:
Occupation?
How do you know each other?
Criminal record?
Do you own this vehicle?
Destination/purpose of your visit?
Time since your last visit?
Will you be leaving anything behind in the US?
Alcohol or firearms in vehicle?
Fresh fruits or vegetables in vehicle?
Cash over $10K in vehicle?

Entering Canada:
What's your favorite colour?
Have a nice day.

It was noted above that more serious shopping is available the further you go into the US, for the same amount of time it would take to drive to the coast (or less) you can be in Wenatchee or Spokane. The US economy is still soft enough that things like room rates make a weekend trip an attractive option. Check sales flyers, the big chains love the long weekends for shopping events, and outlet malls are a booming phenomenon.
Last edited by fluffy on Apr 24th, 2017, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ What I'm talking about number of times per week (buying for others, as mention a poster) as a service, sooner or later they will catch on to it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

That's why there are custom brokers.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:^^^ What I'm talking about number of times per week (buying for others, as mention a poster) as a service, sooner or later they will catch on to it.

You can count on that, as soon as they scan your passport at the border they will have a comprehensive history on you. Multiple trips with third party belongings would put you into the same category as a customs broker and you're not going to get that service for four bucks a pop. The whole idea for the service in Oroville is the use of their US mailing address and they do a brisk business on that basis alone. Border issues are left to the customer.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

south wrote:That's why there are custom brokers.

I can imagine the fees charged
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Really depends on what your are bringing across. This link might help explain ...

http://www.worldwidecustoms.com/SmallPackageService.asp
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

southy wrote:Really depends on what your are bringing across. This link might help explain ...

http://www.worldwidecustoms.com/SmallPackageService.asp

Hermes wrote:Now, there's a business idea: be the middle-man for all the people in Kelowna who have more money than time.

Here is post, that I was commenting on & why Customs would send up red flags if someone was crossing many times a week for groceries.... not sure if the service you mentioned would be willing to go grocery shopping
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

southy wrote:That's why there are custom brokers.

Most if not all are crooks. Their rates would pay gas and motel charges if you go there yourself.

Return to “South Okanagan”