City sues

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: City sues

Post by fluffy »

Obviously there is much dispute on just where the law sits on this. The question here would be just what grounds the City is using to sue Mr. Laurio. Did he have a business license? Nope. Was he repeatedly warned to cease operation? Yup. Did he comply? Nope.

Open defiance of a city order on a repeated basis should not be condoned.
Last edited by fluffy on Apr 27th, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

More costly and unnecessary lawsuits paid for by John Q. Taxpayer. I said it before and will say it again:
The city could have stopped him long ago. There are ways. Shut the power and water off to the building; he would have moved on rather quickly. I think the city should just back off now and let him go on his way; why waste more taxpayer dollars on law suits.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:I think the city should just back off now and let him go on his way; why waste more taxpayer dollars on law suits.

Well I'm sure that if Mr. Laurio actually keeps his word and stays shut down as he claims then the lawsuit will go away, but to date that hasn't been his style.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

southy wrote:Yup here I go again taking a shot at those in the big white building on Main. Read this story today:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#195431

I'm sure someone can put some clarity on this situation for me. So the city has decided to sue this business, The question I have is why?? Sales of marijuana is going to be legalized within a year and JT said today the Lib's have a plan for those charged now that will remove said charges from their record. So why is our city spending valuable time and money (oops think I read they are going after the business owner for legal fees) to proceed with this. I don't get it. There are bigger issues happening and coming our way, yet, city folk find it necessary to bring this issue to light. Wait a sec ... isn't this exactly the same ploy that goof to the south is using. Unbelievable. And yes, you got it right I do not like this mayor, council and the rest of their ilk in upper management. Just my opinion though.

You state it in your own post, I quote -"Sales of marijuana is going to be legalized within a year." It is not legal at this time.

Not until it is legislated should any municipal Government condone the unlawful activities of anyone. Why do people not realize that it is not legal at this time?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ken7 .. I suspect you have missed reading Twobits post below. This thread isn't just about the legality of weed, we all know it is illegal. It is about how the city of Penticton is handling or not handling the licensing situation with regard to marijuana dispensaries. Twobits nails it and I really don't think there is much more to discuss.

twobits wrote:Sorry fluff, but you have been confused like most folks. While you are correct in saying that the dispensing of medical marijuana is not illegal, it is also a fact that the two weed stores that have been granted business licenses to store front retail weed are not doing so legally. They are not approved medical marijuana suppliers under current Federal Regulation. In all of Canada, there are only 26 businesses that are allowed to legally do so and all or them are producers that supply Health Canada approved product that comes with strict requirements of a doctors supervision. There are many requirements placed on both the patient and the prescribing physician to obtain legal weed. One of which is a patient doctor relationship of at least one year. That in itself takes care of the 5 min consult with a physician that is sympathetic and writes a script. That script would not allow the patient to order from one of the 26 approved suppliers.

So knowing this now.......do you think the City really got some good legal advice before cherry picking two retailers to grant licenses or do you think they granted licenses to two businesses to sell a product illegally? And on top of that, granted licenses to only two to sell illegal product when all seven applicants met all City requirements drafted as to location, age, etc?

The only undeniable truth here is that the City in some half baked effort created a bylaw for the licensing permission to conduct an illegal activity and it is morally reprehensible for the City to waste tax dollars go after a man that is only pointing out the absolute hypocrisy of the City's own rules even if he is an idiot. If the City was looking for legal advice, they should have hired the lawyer the City of Abbottsford used.

Return to “South Okanagan”