City sues

southy
Lord of the Board

City sues

Post by southy »

Yup here I go again taking a shot at those in the big white building on Main. Read this story today:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#195431

I'm sure someone can put some clarity on this situation for me. So the city has decided to sue this business, The question I have is why?? Sales of marijuana is going to be legalized within a year and JT said today the Lib's have a plan for those charged now that will remove said charges from their record. So why is our city spending valuable time and money (oops think I read they are going after the business owner for legal fees) to proceed with this. I don't get it. There are bigger issues happening and coming our way, yet, city folk find it necessary to bring this issue to light. Wait a sec ... isn't this exactly the same ploy that goof to the south is using. Unbelievable. And yes, you got it right I do not like this mayor, council and the rest of their ilk in upper management. Just my opinion though.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: City sues

Post by fluffy »

A cursory peek into Jukko Laurio's history with the City and the Justice system will quickly show you that he has pretty much brought this on himself.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Because, Southy, selling marijuana is illegal, and they are operating without a business license. It's irrelevant that it will be legal in the next 18-24 months. Right now, it's illegal.

Would you take exception to me opening a crack house? It's illegal as well.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Tony wrote:Because, Southy, selling marijuana is illegal, and they are operating without a business license. It's irrelevant that it will be legal in the next 18-24 months. Right now, it's illegal.

Would you take exception to me opening a crack house? It's illegal as well.

Well Tony you see the reason I question is that my glasses see plenty of grey while it would appear yours see a lot of black and white. Just sayin'!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:A cursory peek into Jukko Laurio's history with the City and the Justice system will quickly show you that he has pretty much brought this on himself.

Fluffy I believe we could say the exact same thing about the city. In my opinion they dropped the ball on this issue entirely.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Fluffy I believe we could say the exact same thing about the city. In my opinion they dropped the ball on this issue entirely.

I disagree. This is a tangle of legalities and small town politics that can be looked at a hundred different ways. Your bias against council has skewed your viewpoint here, you seem to be missing the point that Mr. Laurio has openly defied council and RCMP directives consistently for years. If anyone ever deserved a slap-down, it is he.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And it would appear that the other two pot shops that the city so freely gave licenses to were told by the rcmp to stop doing business. So where does the city and it's licensing really play a part in all of this. If these businesses are operating illegally how can the city give said business a business license. The grey areas Fluff!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:And it would appear that the other two pot shops that the city so freely gave licenses to were told by the rcmp to stop doing business. So where does the city and it's licensing really play a part in all of this. If these businesses are operating illegally how can the city give said business a business license. The grey areas Fluff!

Excellent point, Southy. The city was negligent in granting any business licenses to pot shops, when selling, even possessing the stuff is still Illegal in Canada. Its surprising that when the RCMP finally stepped in, that they didn't fine the city for their part in this. They (city) are just as responsible. Now, we face more law suits and cost to taxpayers. Great!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:And it would appear that the other two pot shops that the city so freely gave licenses to were told by the rcmp to stop doing business. So where does the city and it's licensing really play a part in all of this. If these businesses are operating illegally how can the city give said business a business license. The grey areas Fluff!

Personally I'm not looking much further than the fact that Mr. Laurio is openly defying the city's authority with his continued operation. I'm not about to be convinced that this move by the city was unwarranted or undeserved. The ongoing waffling at the federal level is not justification to allow this man to continue to flaunt his penchant for making up his own rules.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I can agree somewhat on the federal issue, however, I still ask the question as to why the city in knowing that possessing and/or selling marijuana is illegal that they found it in their wisdom to go ahead and grant business licenses. What was their rational??
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:I can agree somewhat on the federal issue, however, I still ask the question as to why the city in knowing that possessing and/or selling marijuana is illegal that they found it in their wisdom to go ahead and grant business licenses. What was their rational??

Again, excellent point Southy. Hard to defend the actions of the city on that one. Would be like someone setting up and selling fire crackers in a store here. Good luck.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:I can agree somewhat on the federal issue, however, I still ask the question as to why the city in knowing that possessing and/or selling marijuana is illegal that they found it in their wisdom to go ahead and grant business licenses. What was their rational??

Was there not a lot of legal consultation on the part of the City before granting the dispensaries licenses in the beginning? Let's not forget that the dispensing of medicinal marijauna is not illegal, the issue arose out of the looseness of the system, or lack of a system, to ensure that there was a legitimate medical condition that justified marijuana use. Did they not reconsider that position in light of situations that arose in other cities where the "business" of dealing pot was booming? As far as I can see, given the pending legalization of recreational use, the City did their due diligence.

I think what happened was that the lack of regulatory agencies led to businesses licensed to deal in medicinal marijuana were pretty much free to grant medical purposes permits on their own. As soon as this became a widespread practice to the point where all you had to do to get "medical" marijuana was invent a "medical" need, then cities and municipalities everywhere started clamping down. I think the City of Penticton did their best to stay ahead of a rapidly changing game.
Last edited by fluffy on Apr 26th, 2017, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

How?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Also did the city not know that there were no regulatory agencies? If they did then why would they grant business licenses to these other businesses?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Have you considered that, given the fact that the sale of medicinal marijuana is not illegal, that it may have been thin legal ice to refuse to grant a business license for that purpose?

Return to “South Okanagan”