Okanagan orchardists suspended by Mexico

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Okanagan orchardists suspended by Mexico

Post by mexi cali »

Yes but all things considered, that's not too bad if you have room and board on top. Remember we are talking about two groups of people; one group come from a third world country where what they make here goes along way back home and the other, while living in Canada are not burdened by things like mortgages, or in a lot of cases, rent or other encumbrances that the rest of us have.

So 200 hundred a day can make for a lot of life in either case.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Locals would do it if it paid 200 a day
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

A few things:

According to the Global report, one of the farms is A & M.

The reporter to contact for further information is [email protected]

I recommend reading the following study as a primer for discussion.

It’s only five double column pages in my browser, and it reiterates / reinforces much that’s been posted here and provides clarification and information on other issues that have been posted or haven’t been brought up.

http://canada.metropolis.net/pdfs/Pgs_CITC_mar10_e.pdf

. . . discusses the question of housing for Mexican migrant workers in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia. It argues that living and working conditions for these workers are framed by a lack of citizenship that in practice denies them rights afforded to other workers in Canada

<snip>

Thanks, f/22.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fluffy wrote: don't quote me on this but I had heard that the Quebec government would pay their way from Quebec to BC. It seems that reservoir has dried up, I'm guessing a change of policy in Quebec did away with the travel subsidy (if it even existed).

AeroMexico had charters from Tijuana and Mexico City fly into Kelowna on a regular basis over the last few years.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

"As well, French Canadians are often students who leave before the apple season."

Same 4,000 word study, above. http://canada.metropolis.net/pdfs/Pgs_CITC_mar10_e.pdf

Just 4,000 words. Only half as long as The New Yorker's articles.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

mexi cali wrote:Yes but all things considered, that's not too bad if you have room and board on top. Remember we are talking about two groups of people; one group come from a third world country where what they make here goes along way back home and the other, while living in Canada are not burdened by things like mortgages, or in a lot of cases, rent or other encumbrances that the rest of us have.

So 200 hundred a day can make for a lot of life in either case.

Oooohhhh, Mexi, do you actually think of Mexico as third world?
I guess, in the textbook definition of third world, they technically were, since they officially weren't a communist bloc or NATO nation. But, I suspect you are using a more notional view of them.......while some village life may resemble a real third world country, they certainly aren't, given their overall standard of living and access to modern goods and facilities.

But, you are entirely correct in that these people are really happy coming here and working their butts off. On the large farms that I know really well, the piece workers are making far upwards of the $200 per day.
They literally exceed their entire years income in Mexico in a very short time up here. It works really well for all involved.
You and 71 others Like this post
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

So you are praying for automation . Or what are you trying to say . I'll spread word that picking pays 200 a day . There will be line ups of locals . No need for tfws
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The $200/day figure was a question on my part, not a known fact by any means. Does anyone know just how much an orchard worker can expect to make in a day with some degree of diligence?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

But, you are entirely correct in that these people are really happy coming here and working their butts off. On the large farms that I know really well, the piece workers are making far upwards of the $200 per day.
They literally exceed their entire years income in Mexico in a very short time up here. It works really well for all involved.[/quote]

This is what got me fired up .

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

That figure is not out of line. During cherry season on a reasonable year, the good workers will make far in excess of that.
And yes, that is both true and accurate.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

LANDM wrote:Oooohhhh, Mexi, do you actually think of Mexico as third world?

Latin America for the most part, has a very small middle class. If you're not rich then you are likely in a low-paid job with little hope of advancement. If the money up here is attractive enough to pull these people away from the homes and families then all the power to them. Especially so if it's an income not up to what Canadians would consider "adequate".

Maybe it's time for a thread on income disparity.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

LANDM wrote:That figure is not out of line. During cherry season on a reasonable year, the good workers will make far in excess of that.

So we're talking about a wage in the $20-25/hour range. Respectable even by Canadian standards. Are these people charged for accommodations or is that part of the TFW program?

What is it about orchard work that locals are turning their noses up at then?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

fluffy wrote:
LANDM wrote:That figure is not out of line. During cherry season on a reasonable year, the good workers will make far in excess of that.

So we're talking about a wage in the $20-25/hour range. Respectable even by Canadian standards. Are these people charged for accommodations or is that part of the TFW program?

Beats me!
Societal issues of being a farm Labourer.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

fluffy wrote:

Have a look at the classifieds . Any orchard work adds say 11.60 an hr

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Have a look at the classifieds . Any orchard work adds say 11.60 an hr

Thanks. I'm guessing that a productive orchard worker would opt for a piecework based pay then, if it was available. As for a strict hourly rate, I guess the quality of the job would depend on the quality of the boss. Someone paying me minimum wage who insisted on screaming at me to hurry up all day when I'm already keeping a sustainable pace certainly wouldn't have to put up with me for long, but I guess that's an option that wouldn't be available to a TFW.

Return to “South Okanagan”