Summerland landfill takes on more sewage?

twobits
Guru

Re: Summerland landfill takes on more sewage?

Post by twobits »

It seems obvious that since no one wants a compost facility near them we should all revert to general landfill disposal or just throw it in the gutter as in times past and wait for the next plague.
I truly am befuddled by Summerland residents. No matter what is proposed, be it fruit processing plant, golf course housing development, residential development with an ALR land swap, or a retirement complex that creates a hundred plus good paying jobs......there are always citizens vying for the position to be the last person to turn off the lights in the community's viability as a stand alone community.
It is exactly why I divested all property interest in Summerland as did numerous people I know. Good luck to you all.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote: Encourage backyard composting of food waste?

Ya, great plan. Rats in each and every neighborhood. The proliferation of rats in recent years is no coincidence to the promotion of City supplied plastic backyard composters. There certainly wasn't a lot of forethought that went into that brainiac plan. We now spend more money on rat control than landfill costs of putting the material there.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I'd be willing to bet that 2bits doesn't live in Summerland. If he did he'd better understand the temperament of the town in regards to some of the things he mentions. Learn the issues and the facts before you go off like an authority. Further, how much $$ is actually being spent on rat control, and where did you get your information? My cat caught and ate (I watched) over 25 rats last summer and it cost me cat food and worm pills. No rats this summer. Thanks, cat.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

RandyDandy wrote:I'd be willing to bet that 2bits doesn't live in Summerland. If he did he'd better understand the temperament of the town in regards to some of the things he mentions. Learn the issues and the facts before you go off like an authority. Further, how much $$ is actually being spent on rat control, and where did you get your information? My cat caught and ate (I watched) over 25 rats last summer and it cost me cat food and worm pills. No rats this summer. Thanks, cat.

Ya don't need any kind of degree to know that backyard composting attracts vermin fer krist sake. And if ya read my post again, you would see that I was responding to backyard composting......not what is causing the infestation in your specific area of Summerland.

RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I actually did read your post again and you actually did refer to a number of things NOT having to do with backyard composting....so what is it exactly to which you are referring? Dried fruit? Waterman and Bennest were behind that as I recall.
Banks crescent? 424 luxury condos in a silt hole, 15% being "assisted living" and ruining the fish hatchery? And you have a problem with Summerlanders sticking up for Summerland? Waterman's "stop the swap" mantra has come back to bite him.
Marijim

Post by Marijim »

There is development and then there is development that is for profit for all with detrimental consequences that will be relevant after the fact; such as banks development and the placement of sewage, not compost like some people like to think, above our source of drinking water. Get with the program and educate yourselves. Why Summerland to take of sludge of other towns?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... t-landfill

I wonder if this will effect the increased sewage?
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

JagXKR wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/205406/Large-fire-at-landfill

I wonder if this will effect the increased sewage?

Gives new meaning to the term P@#$ on it doesn't it? :biggrin:
supert160

Post by supert160 »

summerland has two assets up there that we all need and use. Both of them generate revenue for the municipality.

One is an abundance of water, the other is a place to dispose of garbage. The value of the water supply is threatened by the landfill. Adding a composting facility is not going to increase the threat to our water supply. It will help summerland generate another cash stream.

I believe the more important study we should engage in is where do we move our water storage pond to. Obviously just above the elevation of the dump. Regardless of what happens with south okanagan solid waste, Summerland's water is at risk forever because of the location relative to the dump. We need to mitigate that risk.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

supert160 wrote:summerland has two assets up there that we all need and use. Both of them generate revenue for the municipality.

One is an abundance of water

Summerland has an abundance of water? My recollection is severe water restrictions before any other South Okanagan Community. Can you elaborate on your assessment of abundance?

totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

supert160 wrote:summerland has two assets up there that we all need and use. Both of them generate revenue for the municipality.

One is an abundance of water, the other is a place to dispose of garbage. The value of the water supply is threatened by the landfill. Adding a composting facility is not going to increase the threat to our water supply. It will help summerland generate another cash stream.

I believe the more important study we should engage in is where do we move our water storage pond to. Obviously just above the elevation of the dump. Regardless of what happens with south okanagan solid waste, Summerland's water is at risk forever because of the location relative to the dump. We need to mitigate that risk.

Adding a composting facility does increase the threat to our water supply. Firstly, our water reservoir is only protected on the south east side due to the mounding effect of water pressure outward from our reservoir. This pressure is maintained by the addition of water from Trout Creek. Summerland's current composting and biosolids are dealt with on the south east side. On the north and north west side, there is no mounding effect. If any addition of water to the soil or leachate occurs and migrates from the proposed location of the compost facility into that area, it could potentially enter the reservoir via that route. Even In-Vessel compost facilities have the potential for leaking and rain water run-off from the curing process (outside) or storage of finished products (outside). Since bio-solids are proposed, all of the pharmaceuticals, hormones and other contaminates that remain after composting, become a serious bio-hazard to our water reservoir.

As far as revenue stream, the only proposed revenue from this facility will be the lease payment from the RDOS. That is yet to be negotiated and considering the upgrades and maintenance that will be necessary for Prairie Valley Rd, I sincerely doubt there will be much left over.
Last edited by totoramona on Oct 22nd, 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

twobits wrote:Summerland has an abundance of water? My recollection is severe water restrictions before any other South Okanagan Community. Can you elaborate on your assessment of abundance?

Summerland increased it's water storage capacity by doubling the volume of Thirsk Lake. We no longer have problems like we did before.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote:
Summerland increased it's water storage capacity by doubling the volume of Thirsk Lake. We no longer have problems like we did before.

Thank you. I had forgotten that.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Now here is a novel idea to help with all that sewage. Plus, if the RDOS partnered with an construction company money could be made and environment saved.

Here is link: https://www.springwise.com/used-toilet- ... 6S,25TJS,1

Return to “South Okanagan”