No camping at Skaha bluffs? Really?

mamabee

No camping at Skaha bluffs? Really?

Post by mamabee »

So....we wanted to travel to Penticton with our kids, meet some friends from Vancouver with kids and spend maybe 3 days rock-climbing. But....there is no campground near there?!?!??!? At least that's what it seems.

I found some RV park near town and then, what looks like a small campsite called Wright's beach. Neither of these seem like a good option with kids ranging from 5-12. One seems to be right by the highway and the RV park is not our thing since we are just tenting.

I'm a little miffed. Is there really no camping near the bluffs? Or...where do people camp?
onestop67
Guru

Re: No camping at Skaha bluffs? Really?

Post by onestop67 »

Off Topic.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on May 11th, 2017, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

This is the closest campground to Skaha Bluffs. It would be a great location for kids, right across the road from the beach.

http://www.lakeskahatentandtrailerpark.com/
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mamabee wrote:So....we wanted to travel to Penticton with our kids, meet some friends from Vancouver with kids and spend maybe 3 days rock-climbing. But....there is no campground near there?!?!??!? At least that's what it seems.

I found some RV park near town and then, what looks like a small campsite called Wright's beach. Neither of these seem like a good option with kids ranging from 5-12. One seems to be right by the highway and the RV park is not our thing since we are just tenting.

I'm a little miffed. Is there really no camping near the bluffs? Or...where do people camp?

Or do you mean that you are "miffed" that you can't bush camp for free at site? Lordy, with 3 campsites within a three minute drive of the bluffs....all on the lake.....one would think one would be pleased with the options for kids 5-12???
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
mamabee

Post by mamabee »

Well, it is still strange that there is no camping RIGHT at the bluffs. It would be a mecca for climbers. Opportunity lost for Penticton.

Sorry, but RV sites with giant monstrosities are not what we consider camping. And with kids, it sure is nice to be able to walk, play and enjoy nature instead of drive places and be right in town. I guess I'm talking to the wrong crowd here.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mamabee wrote:I guess I'm talking to the wrong crowd here.

There are more than it's fair share of "Negative Nelly's" on Castanet.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Wrights is right on the water, has a pool and see lots of people tenting there all the time
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

The bluffs are actually a provincial park so the city has no say in whether there is camping or not.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... ahaBluffs/

You wouldn't be the only tenters in the campground I posted earlier. Same with Wright's Beach, lots of tents there too. And campgrounds don't typically place the tents in amongst the "monstrosities" so you shouldn't be bothered by them at all. (Do I detect a bit of reverse snobbery here - lol?)
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mamabee wrote:Well, it is still strange that there is no camping RIGHT at the bluffs. It would be a mecca for climbers. Opportunity lost for Penticton.

Sorry, but RV sites with giant monstrosities are not what we consider camping. And with kids, it sure is nice to be able to walk, play and enjoy nature instead of drive places and be right in town. I guess I'm talking to the wrong crowd here.

You were given choices on campgrounds that have great amenities and tent camping within 3 minutes of the bluffs. You liked a post for a bush camping area 20 km away. You think it would be nice to be somewhere and enjoy nature and walk and be right in town. You don't expect much do you?
I guess it is an opportunity lost for Penticton for your type of tourist. I can't imagine how many dollars the local economy is losing by not meeting your needs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

mamabee wrote:Well, it is still strange that there is no camping RIGHT at the bluffs. It would be a mecca for climbers. Opportunity lost for Penticton.

By the way, the bluffs are already a mecca for climbers. The parking lot is often jam packed full, even without camping.

Its not so much that you are talking to the wrong crowd here, but you are talking to people that live here and are familiar with the amenities and tourist season.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bubalouie wrote:Wrights is right on the water, has a pool and see lots of people tenting there all the time

And the KVR trail runs right thru it so they could hike or bike right along the lake thru nature for 12 miles to OK Falls if they desired. Get bored of that.....a few hundred yards up the road connects to the Channel Walkway and bike path for another five mile hike/ride along the water right to Okanagan Lake. Seems like a mecca spot for kids to me??
Another poster mentioned no lack of negative nellies. I think the only negative nellie here is the OP that can't bush camp where ever they choose.

Return to “South Okanagan”