Recycling Bins

TBroad

Recycling Bins

Post by TBroad »

The city has not taken my recycling bin for the past two weeks now. I got a notice saying "not a city of Penticton bin". This is ridiculous! My bin is the exact same as everyone else's except there's no "city of Penticton" logo spray painted along the side. Isn't the purpose of recycling to recycle? But instead, the city is expecting me to toss out a perfectly good bin and buy one of theirs...seems like a money-grab Penticton. Stupid.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: RECYCLING BINS

Post by Even Steven »

By purchasing the bin you contribute towards the cost of the program.

If you don't purchase the bin but use your own, you make everyone else to pay for you.

Don't confuse recycling with being a cheap-o.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There are cameras recording the bin contents being emptied into the truck. The bins have RFID chips in them so that if the recording indicates that a homeowner has made their own rules about recycling, they can be contacted and corrected accordingly.

It sounds like you have made your own rules about sourcing your recycling bin; therefore, you are telling the city that you can look after it yourself.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Even Steven wrote:By purchasing the bin you contribute towards the cost of the program.

If you don't purchase the bin but use your own, you make everyone else to pay for you.

Don't confuse recycling with being a cheap-o.

We don't even have to purchase them. The City gave each household one a few months ago, free.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
TBroad

Post by TBroad »

fair enough...good answers! :)
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

TBroad wrote:fair enough...good answers! :)

If you wouldn't mind, could you please let us know if they'll provide a free one now, after the "roll-out" ended? I couldn't find that on their website, but I fully admit I didn't spend a lot of time looking. During the roll-out, they charged if you wanted a larger garbage can but I think the larger recycling bin was free (which kind of flies in the face of "reduce", but that's a topic for another thread).

Basically, I wondered if our cart goes missing or is damaged, what the cost would be to replace it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Recycling Bins

Post by kgcayenne »

City of WK replaces 'missing' bins free of charge.

We bought a house that we didn't move into for a few weeks. In the meantime, we wanted to get some pruning and other yardwork done, but our yard waste bin went missing. I called the City of WK to report the missing bin, and they told me that they would bring us a new bin free of charge if it didn't reappear after pick-up. Sure enough, with the house being 'vacant' for several months beforehand, the neighbour had been using the bin.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

kgcayenne wrote:There are cameras recording the bin contents being emptied into the truck. The bins have RFID chips in them so that if the recording indicates that a homeowner has made their own rules about recycling, they can be contacted and corrected accordingly.

It sounds like you have made your own rules about sourcing your recycling bin; therefore, you are telling the city that you can look after it yourself.

Maybe in West Kelowna but not down in Penticton. Better get your facts correct. No cameras or RFID chips; big brother may be watching Kelowna folks but not here; perhaps someday.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Recycling Bins

Post by kgcayenne »

Ohh, okay. Here I thought it was implemented all over upon the privatization of waste collection in the regional district. I suppose RDOS isn't quite there yet.

Return to “South Okanagan”