Naramata continues to boom - why?

southy
Lord of the Board

Naramata continues to boom - why?

Post by southy »

So I read on Castanet that Naramata is about to receive another 68 lot subdivision up in the Arawana Road area.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... n-proposed

Naramata is a nice community and has wonderful views but why are people flocking there and sinking loads of money into lots that in mu mind are just lots. Developer making application is from Ontario so not a small player. I wonder if with all of this new construction out there will the Ministry of Transportation try and improve both Arawana Road and the highway between Penticton and Naramata. Drove out there not to long ago .. traffic congestion was insane. Also see where the Naramata Centre has announced plans to sell off a lot of their property down in the village. Very interesting times.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Naramata continues to boom - why?

Post by Glacier »

Taxes are WAYYYYY lower than they are in Penticton. You could save $1000 per year easily... until it incorporates.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Glacier wrote:Taxes are WAYYYYY lower than they are in Penticton. You could save $1000 per year easily... until it incorporates.

Ah yes but think of the cost of fuel per year; most families have two vehicles; drive their kids back and forth many times per week. It adds up; easily more than $1000 extra. Plus very few facilities out there. No thanks.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We are talking 15km. That's nothing, especially with modern cars that get 65 miles to the gallon. When I lived in Kamloops, I was further away from work than that, and I worked in Kamloops.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Glacier wrote:We are talking 15km. That's nothing, especially with modern cars that get 65 miles to the gallon. When I lived in Kamloops, I was further away from work than that, and I worked in Kamloops.

I know lots of folks who live in Naramata; and all of them have two vehicles. One may get decent mileage but the other is usually a big pickup/SUV thats not great on fuel.

Most folks that I've talked to out there don't do it to save money (and they admit that they don't). Its that they enjoy living there, plain and simple.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

A couple of points I believe. Lots can have a view, taxes are lower however Naramata is on septic system, no police, has a paid on call fire dept., not full time/ career, no bloated municipal system, just a bloated RDOS system

Water system is great though...
Lovely quiet place, no pan handlers, no twitching drug addicts, a sense of community.
The road is a problem though. In the summer the wine tourists drive anywhere 10-20 km/hr under the speed limit. The mix of seniors who drive slower and younger that drive a bit quicker can cause irritation on both sides. Please don't tell me to chill, I'm most comfortable, calm, relaxed, chilled when doing at least the speed limit....

As for families driving back and forth, some do move back to Penticton for that reason, same as when older and medical issues dictate a little closer to an ambulance and hospital. 15 KMs as a rule is nothing except when you're the 6th car in a line up doing 40-50 kms/hr watching brake applications at every corner, even up hill corners, and the slightest down hill.... :cuss:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

seewood wrote:A couple of points I believe. Lots can have a view, taxes are lower however Naramata is on septic system, no police, has a paid on call fire dept., not full time/ career, no bloated municipal system, just a bloated RDOS system

Water system is great though...
Lovely quiet place, no pan handlers, no twitching drug addicts, a sense of community.
The road is a problem though. In the summer the wine tourists drive anywhere 10-20 km/hr under the speed limit. The mix of seniors who drive slower and younger that drive a bit quicker can cause irritation on both sides. Please don't tell me to chill, I'm most comfortable, calm, relaxed, chilled when doing at least the speed limit....

As for families driving back and forth, some do move back to Penticton for that reason, same as when older and medical issues dictate a little closer to an ambulance and hospital. 15 KMs as a rule is nothing except when you're the 6th car in a line up doing 40-50 kms/hr watching brake applications at every corner, even up hill corners, and the slightest down hill.... :cuss:

we should move the addicts and safe injection sites there. will affect the least number of people that way
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Is that settlement from the Blackwell fiasco all off the books now or are some tax bills still affected by that?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Blackwell, I understand, was paid off several years ago. Think another couple of years for the new water system though.

As for moving the addicts to safe sites to Naramata....hopefully no zoning for institutions like that.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “South Okanagan”