Slow Speed Chase

FreeRights
Guru

Re: Slow Speed Chase

Post by FreeRights »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I call bull on a lot what is written here.
Yes at 15 Km a vehicle can still be a threat,but keep in mind..if you choose, it could be driven at 4x that speed, and swerving side to side... But it was not.
When Hothead arrived the truck was already boxed in,wasn't going anywhere.. Hothead just double blocked the left side.
I have no reason to assume the officers were not armed, yet he pushed his way between two officers already dealing with the driver.

That is what I saw on the video.. Not sure what it looked like to the rest of you ?

Even a vehicle that is moving 15km an hour can still kill someone or cause an accident. Combine that with a vehicle that clearly refused to, or didn't, stop upon request by police, any amount of variables can be at play here.

The truck was boxed in, but the driver still had possession of the truck. He could have hit the gas and dragged two cops with him. Until the driver is no longer in control of the vehicle, it still acts as a threat.

I'm not sure if you've ever had to remove a person from the driver's seat of a vehicle, but it's a challenging thing to do when you take into consideration the seat belt, preventing the driver from engaging the vehicle again, and removing the driver safely. We do see the third police officer entering the situation quickly. We do not know why or what he did. Were the other two officers having a difficult time removing the driver? Were there complications that were eased by the use of the third officer? Or did he just run over and punch the driver? The only real, factual criticism that we can put on the third cop is that he moved "too quickly." Or something, because there wasn't much else that we could actually see at that angle. There was no mention of whether injuries occurred to the driver upon the removal from the vehicle or not.

Jumping to conclusions and assuming that something did or didn't happen is pointless.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

You are also jumping to conclusions. Like he could have dragged off two officers !
(At this point we do not know if the key was pulled )
Just a WAG here, but I doubt a truck with deflated tires could push the vehicles ahead or behind them...very far...if at all.
Maybe you know the last Officer on the scene, or maybe its You... But that was behavior we do not see all the time... Thankfully..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:You are also jumping to conclusions. Like he could have dragged off two officers !
Just a WAG here, but I doubt a truck with deflated tires could push the vehicles ahead or behind them...very far...if at all.
Maybe you know the last Officer on the scene, or maybe its You... But that was behavior we do not see all the time... Thankfully..

That's exactly my point. We don't know any of that. We don't know if a car with deflated tires could go far. We don't know the status of the key. That is why I'm unprepared to jump to a conclusion whether the third officer acted professionally or not, yet you've already taken a side.
Alexa1994

Post by Alexa1994 »

FreeRights wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:You are also jumping to conclusions. Like he could have dragged off two officers !

That's exactly my point. We don't know any of that. We don't know if a car with deflated tires could go far. We don't know the status of the key. That is why I'm unprepared to jump to a conclusion whether the third officer acted professionally or not, yet you've already taken a side.

Well said!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Of course it could go far, but it also has no traction, and cant push or climb.... Or are you doubting that too.
So what are You saying? You can think of a reason for the last officer to act like that,, I cant...... Except for..lost their temper..
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

FreeRights wrote:

For someone who's acquainted with law enforcement, and with due respect, you've seen this behaviour, I've seen it, I've experienced it. These cops are out there.
I honestly feel even though you want to give the benefit of the doubt, I really think deep down you know this was inappropriate.
There's no doubt in my mind that he had chase tunnel vision and was angry that his/colleagues commands weren't obeyed.
It's my take on this and even though believe it or not I don't hate cops, I just hate bone head cops that don't have any business being an officer.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Of course we've all seen the bone head mentality, but I've been an advocate on here for making rational, logical decisions based on fact, not an emotional response that's rooted in what one thinks happened.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

FreeRights wrote:Of course we've all seen the bone head mentality, but I've been an advocate on here for making rational, logical decisions based on fact, not an emotional response that's rooted in what one thinks happened.

That's the whole point here, the officer in question was obviously acting on his emotions and not an objective assessment of the situation.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

fluffy wrote:That's the whole point here, the officer in question was obviously acting on his emotions and not an objective assessment of the situation.

Was he obviously acting on emotions? Though I'm not saying that he definitively wasn't, unless you had a different video angle I don't know how you would be able to deduce your suggestion.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Honestly now, was there anything at all in his actions and/or body language that even hinted at thoughtful objectivity? Was there even time in his agenda for a rational assessment of the situation? No. He was angry and looking to vent it on the "perp".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Completely different method used by the first two officers vs the last one..
Are you really suggesting both methods are correct ?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Police are trained to make split second assessments of situations and respond accordingly. My thoughts are that those here, myself included, are grossly unqualified to judge the entirety of a situation based on nothing more than a video at a poor angle and an apparent body language assessment.

That said, if you like to prejudge people based on little to no information, that's totally fine as well.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

(Duplicate post removed)
Last edited by fluffy on Jul 11th, 2017, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

FreeRights wrote:Police are trained to make split second assessments of situations and respond accordingly. My thoughts are that those here, myself included, are grossly unqualified to judge the entirety of a situation based on nothing more than a video at a poor angle and an apparent body language assessment.

That said, if you like to prejudge people based on little to no information, that's totally fine as well.

A couple of things you might want to consider...first, as 60-YEARS brought up, why were the first two officers on the scene not sharing the thirds officer's "assessment" that the situation demanded rough physical treatment, and doesn't it appear that he had made said "assessment" before actually coming face to face with the driver?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no cop-hater, but in this case it sure looks like the guy was out of control. In any event, there's certainly a stronger case against his actions than there is in favour.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

FreeRights wrote:Of course we've all seen the bone head mentality, but I've been an advocate on here for making rational, logical decisions based on fact, not an emotional response that's rooted in what one thinks happened.

Of course you're right in many ways, I find my self devils advocate in many threads.
But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, this behaviour gets people injured or killed. I don't want to
Bring up citations, we both know they aren't warranted.

I was a hothead earlier in this thread, your contributions have leveled me somewhat, but I can't help and feel that from what I've witnessed, experienced, this is becoming the norm.

Acceptable to any one that doesn't understand that police are bound by both the criminal code and the charter of rights, afforded to all Canadians; the virtue of our principles of democracy and freedom.

Until one has had their rights violated, in favour of closing a file in one's "best interests", berated or hauled out of a vehicle for conceivably having a medical issue... (who the *bleep* rolls over two spike strips and had multiple cruisers following at 15 kph without being "out to lunch"?. Not a "criminal", that's for sure),
They just don't get it.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.

Return to “South Okanagan”