Slow Speed Chase

onestop67
Guru

Re: Slow Speed Chase

Post by onestop67 »

I haven't watched the video, but regardless of the copper that got aggressive, he's just following his boss.

Cpl. Wriggelsworth, the "voice" of the Penticton RCMP, is always bullying and intimidating people.

I watched him pull over his car to get out and threaten a local businessman that he has a personal issue with. There was no reason for him to do that. The businessman was just standing out front of one of his businesses having a cigarette. He also looked at me and made a comment. I simply replied that I wasn't doing anything and "why are you asking me anything?"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Don't know about the rest of you, but for some reason when I hear about this story, I just keep picturing this ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

WalterWhite wrote:
What_the wrote:Take this in context. I realize it's in Miami, I realize not all police are like this, I realize it's America, I realize different circumstances.

I'm only speaking to the "us vs them" mentality.
If I were an officer, I would be ashamed of my colleagues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63FEamhpA0

Haven't had the time to look into the details of that enough to make an educated comment. I will agree 100% that not every cop is infallible, and there are "bad apples" for lack of a better term in all occupations in all walks of life. Again, not condoning the mentality, but agreeing it exists. I also agree the video above is somewhat out of context. From the looks of things, this wasn't just a quiet peaceful protest, as a full compliment of riot police were deployed and moving on her location. I'm smart enough to know, having witnessed first hand the change in police tactics once an assembly has been declared unlawful and riot police are deployed, it's simply time to leave as ordered - plain and simple - or face the consequences as being presumed hostile. She clearly didn't listen. I am curious to know the outcome of her intended lawsuit against them. The ensuing banter in the debriefing of the incident also doesn't take into account the fact these briefings are also a means of members having a chance to decompress after a very tense situation. "Locker room banter" was a phrase all too often tossed about in the recent run-up to the US elections. I would put this in the same context.

ETA: I did find record of Miami-Dade County paying out approximately a half-million in a settlement for 21 individuals that cited wrongful arrest or detainment.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2007/ ... protesters

I couldn't find anything immediately about her statement about suing also. The settlement was also considered to have the least impact financially on the county, and that police acted appropriately overall, as surmised by their then chief:

Chief Timoney, the mastermind of Miami's multiagency FTAA police effort, minimized the settlement's importance in an interview outside commission chambers.

''Strictly a business decision,'' Timoney said. Miami had a good legal case against the 21 protesters, the chief said, but the expense of drawn-out court battles made settling the preferred option:

Regarding the police response during the FTAA, Timoney said: ``When you have big operations like that it can never be perfect . . . but I think we did as good a job as you could possibly do.''

There's bad cops on every force. There's also bad protesters at pretty much any semi-organized protest. On some rare occasions - the two meet.

Here's my thoughts on this.
I wouldn't be laughing or proud about rubber bulleting a woman in a red blazer, skirt and high heels denouncing totalitarianism with a placard at a protest. More so that it could have taken her eye. The context I was suggesting, was that they were in fact laughing about it.
Those cops did not "serve and protect", they violated the trust between front line enforcement And the public. Which btw is upholding constitutional rights as well, which is law.

The same goes for the hot head "officer". Which imo was just *bleep* off that the senior didn't stop for the flashing lights. Not one thought that the guy might be having a medical episode. I mean, two spike belts, 15 kms?

See what you made me do? I assaulted you because you made me. That's something wife beaters say.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

And thanks for the reasonable debate :130:
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Alexa1994

Post by Alexa1994 »

Yes exactly, this not the way to deal an elderly citizen. :-X
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

At least they didnt Taser him, like the old fellow on Lawrence Ave that didnt exit the car fast enough for them..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

The old guy was lucky the cops got to him before I did. I was in the line-up of cars that were waiting to get to our destination for over half an hour that day. I missed my 7 p.m. appointment, and I'm sure there were others who likely missed a flight at the Penticton Airport, so you can imagine how frustrating it was to sit there and watch as an elderly O.J. Simpson-type stupidly held up miles of traffic between Summerland and Penticton.

I hope the old coot loses his licence over this.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ugh, really? Guy has a "stroke" and you're complaining about missing an appt?
Iget the frustration but upon learning of medical distress?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

What_the wrote:
The same goes for the hot head "officer". Which imo was just *bleep* off that the senior didn't stop for the flashing lights. Not one thought that the guy might be having a medical episode. I mean, two spike belts, 15 kms?

There probably wasn't a thought that he driver had a medical situation, as it wasn't known. What was known was that there was a vehicle, which can be defined as a deadly force weapon if used as such, neglecting to pull over and stop for law enforcement. At 15km, the vehicle was driving dangerously and could have caused an accident or posed a threat to the public.

Though I'm not going to defend that one officer, we also don't have a particularly good view of what his actions were once approaching the vehicle. As should happen, the driver is removed from the vehicle so that he no longer poses a threat to the public, but it's unclear if the third officer struck the driver or assisted the other two in removing him from the vehicle. If the latter is the case, we have to remember that vehicular removals are likely fairly complicated - taking into account the seat belt, and preventing the driver from engaging the vehicle further, as well as officer safety.

Maybe that officer did strike the driver. If he did, we did not have a proper view to determine whether or not it was warranted.

You're usually a fairly logical and considerate poster, but in this case, your apparent disdain for law enforcement (apparently all law enforcement, as you were happy unfairly generalizing earlier in this thread) clouded your otherwise notable judgement and your emotion appeared to take over, fueling a fairly illogical stance on a situation that we don't have much information on otherwise.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

So now the cop haters are starting to make stuff up. Where did you find that story about the old man having a stroke? Do stroke victims drive down a 4-lane highway at 15KMH, laughing hysterically at the cops and the huge line-up of cars behind him?

Guess you missed that part of the story.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

[Quote"free right s"]There probably wasn't a thought that he driver had a medical situation[/quote]
That s my problem here, no thought given.
Like wise, I've appreciated your logical approach to these situations.
I just don't think in this case that enough thought was given by this cop. I know he means well, but he also has a duty to protect every body, since he has a gun on his belt, I expect more.
Last edited by What_the on Jul 8th, 2017, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

lasnomadas wrote:The old guy was lucky the cops got to him before I did. I was in the line-up of cars that were waiting to get to our destination for over half an hour that day. I missed my 7 p.m. appointment, and I'm sure there were others who likely missed a flight at the Penticton Airport, so you can imagine how frustrating it was to sit there and watch as an elderly O.J. Simpson-type stupidly held up miles of traffic between Summerland and Penticton.

I hope the old coot loses his licence over this.

You should have left earlier.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What_the wrote:That s my problem here, no thought given.

Totally agree. The cop in question, along with some of the posters here, are/were operating under the assumption that the driver was some sort of "bad guy" when that fact had not been established. The evidence, slow and erratic driving, could have had any number of causes. The use of physical force in this case was not justified.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

lasnomadas wrote:So now the cop haters are starting to make stuff up. Where did you find that story about the old man having a stroke? Do stroke victims drive down a 4-lane highway at 15KMH, laughing hysterically at the cops and the huge line-up of cars behind him?

Guess you missed that part of the story.

It's why there were quotation marks around the word, but fine, poor choice of word, it had been established that he was in medical distress and no charges will be laid.

And ya, laughing hysterically? Where did you see that. ?

And geez guy, just what exactly would you do to an old guy if you got him first? As if the thinly veiled "threat" wasn't apparent.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I call bull on a lot what is written here.
Yes at 15 Km a vehicle can still be a threat,but keep in mind..if you choose, it could be driven at 4x that speed, and swerving side to side... But it was not.
When Hothead arrived the truck was already boxed in,wasn't going anywhere.. Hothead just double blocked the left side.
I have no reason to assume the officers were not armed, yet he pushed his way between two officers already dealing with the driver.

That is what I saw on the video.. Not sure what it looked like to the rest of you ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “South Okanagan”