Slow Speed Chase

Darkre
Board Meister

Re: Slow Speed Chase

Post by Darkre »

I’ve watched the video multiple times and to everyone that is complaining about this arrest please carefully review the video again in full screen if possible. Please note that the video immediately cuts to the final arrest and we cannot see the any of the moments leading up to that point.

- At the 9 second mark you can see the 1st officer on the left attempt to pull the driver from the vehicle, not once but twice.
- The driver is obviously resisting being removed from the vehicle. We do not know how long the driver had refused to get out of, or how long he had resisted being removed from, the truck as the video does not show events prior to this point.
- The 3rd officer, seeing the suspect resisting squeezes between the police vehicle and the officer, placing his hand on the officer to push him to the side so he does not knock him forward and off balance in to the suspect. Again we have no idea how long the driver was resisting due to the video only beginning seconds before this point.
- The 1st officer maintains his grip on the suspect throughout, you can see this by the jerky movements as the suspect goes down.
- If the driver was not resisting the 1st officer would have let go of him or never grabbed him in the first place.

Now please place yourself in all of the officers’ shoes. Their knowledge of the drivers situation and intent was completely unknown.

What they did know:
- The driver refused to stop despite multiple officers following him.
- They had a driver that refused to stop despite the fact that he was driving on rims due to spike strips.
- Reports indicate that the suspect was laughing hysterically. This could indicate a medical or mental issue, or possibly alcohol or drug use.
- The suspect could use the truck as a weapon unless he was removed from the vehicle

What they didn’t know:
- Did the suspect have a gun, knife or other weapon? Hell, he could have had a bomb.
- Did the suspect have used syringes in the vehicle that could be used as a weapon?
- Was the suspect a threat to them or any innocent bystanders?

The age of the individual should have had no bearing on the actions of the officers in this situation. Being 65 does not mean that the driver did not have a weapon. Being 65 does not mean that the driver did not have to stop for the police. Being 65 does not mean that the driver can resist being removed from the vehicle or arrested. How would you all be reacting if the driver had gotten out of the truck with a gun and shot a few officers and innocent bystanders?

What we have is a video that looks bad due to poor editing or unfortunate recording. The 30 seconds leading up to that point could tell a very different story.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Please provide the video link you are watching. I didn't see any editing.however, if its as you say, I'll recant and apologize for my remarks
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Darkre wrote:. How would you all be reacting if the driver had gotten out of the truck with a gun and shot a few officers and innocent bystanders?

How would you feel if a hot head cop let loose with rounds that hit innocent bystanders? Like has happened?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

What_the wrote:Please provide the video link you are watching. I didn't see any editing.however, if its as you say, I'll recant and apologize for my remarks

It's the video posted in the very first post in this topic. The raw video on castanet shows the exact same timings as well.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Then the same video I watched. In light of free rights posts, I'll concede I don't know all the facts. I just know cops to best of my experiences and knowledge.

I stand my by my thoughts.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

What_the wrote:
Darkre wrote:. How would you all be reacting if the driver had gotten out of the truck with a gun and shot a few officers and innocent bystanders?

How would you feel if a hot head cop let loose with rounds that hit innocent bystanders? Like has happened?

I'd feel pretty bad. However, the odds of being shot by a civilian are far higher than by being shot by an officer. A lot more people are shot and/or murdered by civilians than by law enforcement officers. In the US, 45,678 people were injured or killed in 2016 shootings. Officers shot or killed 1905 or just over 4% of the number of people civilians shot. In fact there were more accidental injuries/deaths by gun shot (2200) in 2016 than there were officer shootings.
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls

In Canada there were 18 law enforcement shootings in 2016. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-shooting-officer-involved-canada-statistics-2016-1.3866486

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find innocent vs in the line of duty shooting statistics for the Law enforcement shootings. If I find those I'll post them.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

What_the wrote:Then the same video I watched. In light of free rights posts, I'll concede I don't know all the facts. I just know cops to best of my experiences and knowledge.

I stand my by my thoughts.

Re-watch the video. Rewind it and watch it again. I jumped to that 9 second mark probably 20 times to try to see what happened.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I like you Darkre. Straight up you acknowledged my point.
You'll forgive me for not accessing and countering your facts right now. I may have a quim or two in another thread, but it'd e too late to "dig"

5 am comes quick.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ill have another look at vid.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Anybody else having trouble accessing the video? I get a commercial then a black screen, but the counter appears to be operating normally.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

What_the wrote:Ive got him pegged as a testosterone filled crap for brains with a small penis that's over compensating just out for the thrill of the chase.
Any one with an ounce of common sense professionalism would have taken their cue from the relaxed demeanor of his colleagues.

He would have known what was going on over the scanner.

Ive got no time or admiration for chumps like him.
He gives real peace officers a bad rep.

and calling an rcmp officer a pig says everything i need to know about you now on a personal level.thank you for showing your true colors
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

WalterWhite wrote:Woohoo! Another chance for the armchair experts to microscopically pick every detail of every action apart from a predetermined viewpoint. Pigs? Using that single term alone negates anything of substance related to your further comments. We know nothing else of the story, let alone the actual situation, and what is known is largely blocked by a vehicle from view. Slow moving chase or not, he was removed from his vehicle and restrained. Up to that point he's considered armed and dangerous - "senior" or not.

exactly
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Dizzy1 wrote:If the old guy would have stopped like he was supposed to then the cop wouldn't have to prove to everyone that he's the Alpha Male in the pack.

See, its easy to be an apologist - just blame the cops actions on everyone else's actions and voila :up: :130:

yup that's what many do on here
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

So are the first two cops in trouble for not doing it right ? :135:

A speed jack under the rear end, would immobilize it in 20 seconds if its 2wd...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “South Okanagan”