Volunteering

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Volunteering

Post by southy »

And all three rely on community volunteer support. And I think this is where the problem is. Volunteer burnout. I see Peachfest is facing a similar situation with regard to volunteers. So again burnout and perhaps a different age demo who have just gotten to that older age where volunteering just takes to much out of them. I could be wrong, however, I don't think the younger demo ... say 15+ is as active or care. So how do these events continue.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:And all three rely on community volunteer support. And I think this is where the problem is. Volunteer burnout. I see Peachfest is facing a similar situation with regard to volunteers. So again burnout and perhaps a different age demo who have just gotten to that older age where volunteering just takes to much out of them. I could be wrong, however, I don't think the younger demo ... say 15+ is as active or care. So how do these events continue.

You may be correct, Southy. Volunteer burnout, plus the older generation (who make up a lot of those volunteers) are dying off and perhaps the younger crowd is not interested or doesn't have the time (busy trying to scrape out a living). I recall the Square Dance Jamboree that used to be held here every year; not even sure if its still active or not. When they were having trouble getting enough folks interested in participating, I asked one of the organizers why they didn't start catering to the younger generation who SHOULD eventually be taking over. What I meant was "play some newer country music that could still be danced to that they might enjoy more". I got a scowl and a "never", answer. And, thus it likely will die unless folks are willing to change, slightly.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Although participating in the Challenge on Sunday, I still received an email request to volunteer. They need traffic marshals. Not a pleasant place to volunteer, the bylaw and RCMP I believe should be managing traffic. No shortage of abuse to those without the ability to retaliate.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

If the lack of volunteers for Challenge this weekend and the ITU Multisports event in August is any indication, a lot of people are getting sick and tired of these events that basically take over the highways and roads we all rely on. If Granfondo and Challenge aren't annoying enough as one day events, we've got the ITU event that will be 9 days long. Good luck getting anywhere near downtown during that time.

Return to “South Okanagan”