Second Road North

Tony
Übergod

Re: Second Road North

Post by Tony »

pentona wrote:
nihiriju wrote:The 201 route with a few modifications seems like it would be the easiest, and as you mention the road is already in pretty good condition. This would also have a great benefit of bypassing a lot of the Kelowna traffic if anyone is heading further north.

I believe that the 201 was used by a lot of folks needing to get to Kelowna when that slide by Peachland happened. Its a natural choice; could even modify the South end to more gently enter Highway 97 near Ok Falls and have the Carmi access as a feeder route to and from Penticton. Anything is possible.

It makes more sense to bring it down to Penticton rather than feed the traffic through the Falls, but either way won't be happening anytime soon.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There was talk in the past of a Peachland bypass, above the populated areas. It was to branch off the current highway before the hill down to Antlers Beach but I'm not sure where the northern end was to be, perhaps joining the Coq. Taking those newer lights by the Peachland IGA out of the mix would sure help, especially with summer traffic.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote:There was talk in the past of a Peachland bypass, above the populated areas. It was to branch off the current highway before the hill down to Antlers Beach but I'm not sure where the northern end was to be, perhaps joining the Coq. Taking those newer lights by the Peachland IGA out of the mix would sure help, especially with summer traffic.

Of course the businesses at Peachland Centre would fight to keep that light. Turning left in or out without light could be a nightmare.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:Of course the businesses at Peachland Centre would fight to keep that light. Turning left in or out without light could be a nightmare.

True, but it is a bottleneck. I've seen traffic backed right up Drought Hill on a number of occasions. That in itself is a good case for a bypass.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Of course the businesses at Peachland Centre would fight to keep that light. Turning left in or out without light could be a nightmare.

fluffy wrote:True, but it is a bottleneck. I've seen traffic backed right up Drought Hill on a number of occasions. That in itself is a good case for a bypass.

It would suck for those who use tennis court, depend on the water table. Underpass would remove traffic backups.

Added: actually underpasses at most of the lights (that have the space) on west side would create better traffic flow.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

pentona wrote:I believe that the 201 was used by a lot of folks needing to get to Kelowna when that slide by Peachland happened. Its a natural choice; could even modify the South end to more gently enter Highway 97 near Ok Falls and have the Carmi access as a feeder route to and from Penticton. Anything is possible.

I took it several times when 97 was closed from the slide. Faster than going to Osoyoos Hwy 3 to Hwy 33 to Kelowna. I was doing it in a 2 wheel drive car, even in the snow. No problems.
nihiriju

Post by nihiriju »

onestop67 wrote:
I took it several times when 97 was closed from the slide. Faster than going to Osoyoos Hwy 3 to Hwy 33 to Kelowna. I was doing it in a 2 wheel drive car, even in the snow. No problems.

Maybe ill have to try that method to Big White soon!
Having access to Big White for Penticton would be a huge econmic booster and help bolster a more vibrante community with year round recreational potential.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

nihiriju wrote:
Maybe ill have to try that method to Big White soon!
Having access to Big White for Penticton would be a huge econmic booster and help bolster a more vibrante community with year round recreational potential.

You won't save any time that way cuz the road gets pretty sketchy past the 50k marker. And it is not always plowed as timely as the hwy......depends on logging activity. Besides that, why not support the local hills? Apex has a better vertical and Baldy has the best snow. And neither has chronic fog issues like Big White Out. The handle is justly earned.
Have skiied and rode sleds in the S OK for 40 yrs and the only reason to go to big white is better restaurants at the end of the day and that is not my objective.
If Kelowna folk were smart, they would drive south to us. More time on boards or ski's than lineups, better runs, and better snow.
Big White is just a real estate development like a housing development around a mediocre golf course.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

The 201 is a great road.... the issue is Hwy 33 to Kelowna once you get off the 201. When the highway was closed I used the 201 3 times a week. It was way quicker to get to 33, but it took another 45 minutes to get into Kelowna some days because of the truck traffic on 33 and no where to pass them.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

fluffy wrote:The idea of an east side Penticton/Kelowna corridor comes up now and then but never seems to go anywhere.

Could it be that the powers that be feel too many businesses would get by passed? And easily?

I've often wondered the same thing, why not a better road up and over the mountain for emergency purposes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

twobits wrote:Apex has a better vertical and Baldy has the best snow. And neither has chronic fog issues like Big White Out. The handle is justly earned.

Love it. Used to live at Apex and the dozen times I have ventured to Big White Out, yeup, could never see the top of the hill. Silver Star was nick-named Silver Bore...

The 201 could be upgraded but if has not been graded, vehicles suspension can take a beating. Access from Penticton up an upgraded Carmi Rd would be doable, but obviously not important to the ones that pay the bills, definitely not the current temp. government.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

So I see some on this thread want a new road so they can leave Penticton to spend money at another location and say this is good for business. Who's business? Not anyone here. So no problem, build the road to the other businesses. Make them pay for it as it benefits them at the expense of businesses here. If your favorite ski hill is Big White that's great for them. Make BW pay for your ease of access to their hill.
More spoiled people wanting everything paid for without any concept of the enormous costs that it would entail. I wonder what kind of debt these people are running? Maybe they're lifestyle is spend today and worry about paying off.....never.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That raises a couple of interesting points. Personally I think efficient movement of traffic should be the big priority here, both with commuter traffic year-round, and tourist traffic during the summer months. Encouraging local shopping has less to do with how hard it is to get north (or south) and more to do both with the local demographic and to a lesser degree, the increased selection available in larger centres. And with our significant retirement population, the issue is less about price and selection and more about the "adventure" of a little road trip because they have time on their hands.

We've got some great local outlets, I'm not about to leave town for stuff I can buy locally, the price of gas these days quickly cancels out any savings that might be realized at the big box stores up the highway. But I don't mind the "road trip" aspect.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'm not exactly sure were, but I do believe I read about it in here.
https://www.amazon.ca/According-Bill-Ti ... B00309FSGE
Of a road that locals were working on, of their own accord, starting at what is now the South
Parking Area to OK Mtn. Park, above Naramata with an intended link to
what is now the Southern point of Lakeshore rd., South Kelowna.

This was interrupted by WW2, and then foregone with the Park designation post war.

I have been on, what I believe to be, sections of this road 25+ yrs ago.

Just a little History to add to the mix.

I bought, and had signed, my copy right from the man himself.
(it is on loan to my kidlet at present)

Highly recommended.

Trouble with alternative routes is the high elevations, they are maintenance nightmares.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

dirtybiker wrote:
Trouble with alternative routes is the high elevations, they are maintenance nightmares.

And the ones that are paying for 201 plowing are the timber tenure rights holders....not the province. Just wait 5 more years when weyerhauser has finished creaming off everything they have up there and see how the road is maintained. They are harvesting 40 yr old second gen pecker poles right now and will be finished in not too many years. Not speculating here either. Know a senior forester that works for them that shakes his head at what he is being asked to plan out for cuts and is just glad he is retiring in 4 yrs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”