Developer: Get on with it.

lasnomadas
Übergod

Developer: Get on with it.

Post by lasnomadas »

Concerned citizen: Lark, you may be able to get away with your bullying tactics in Surrey, but you won't get away with it in Summerland. I've heard more than enough of your b.s. Get out of town.
seewood
Guru

Re: Developer: Get on with it.

Post by seewood »

Right idea, lousy location. Hope the council does not capitulate and let this go through as it stands.
Offer some other locations... If Lark does not bite, then oh well...let them move on.
If council lets it go ahead, that can set a precedent where Summerland is not listening to it's citizens, much like Penticton, and I suspect council will be told to move on next election.
Cancel it or don't let it move forward at that location, I suspect lark will blather on that Summerland is not open for business...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Don't know why Lark is getting its panties in a bunch...the Waterperson said last summer that this was "a done deal"
1800 or 2400 signatures against the project, depending on what figure you choose...means nothing? Seriously?
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

At last count, it was over 2,600 signatures. I suggested a referendum, but Waterman apparently said right from the get-go that there would be NO referendum. Lark has been spinning some fantastic yarns to Summerlanders over the past several months. They keep changing the number of units, the number of underground parking levels, etc. Also, it was originally slated to be a senior's condo complex, and now they've introduced townhouses, plus they say they have an alternate water source so they won't be screwing up the aquifer that the Trout Hatchery depends on.......not true.

This developer is bad news. Look at some of its history in South Surrey. And if you're able, please come to the meeting at the District Office on Monday @7 p.m. It should be a hoot.

Oh, and BTW, Lark made it known to council right at the beginning of this fiasco that they weren't interested in any other property. If the Banks Crescent proposal didn't get approved, they would NOT be building their complex anywhere else in Summerland. As far as I'm concerned, that was when Waterman and co. should have just said "No". It's the wrong location, period.....end of story.
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

Talk about the dog having its tail wagged and being told when to!! The Mayor and his Council have let this go on for far too long and are making statements of support for the project,when there hasn't even been a public hearing ,to which they are supposed to go into with an open mind to receive the public comments. There is nothing wrong with the project,it is just simply in the WRONG LOCATION!! Irregardless of the fact that the unit numbers keep changing upward,now over 400, common sense and planning principles don't allow a development with this density to occur in an urban area of a community on top of a water supply to an already well established business,which was established in its location simply because of the natural water supply to feed it!!
The Mayor and his Council are so desperate to have something economically happen in Summerland during their term that they are simply grasping at the first thing that has come along in quite sometime. They are an agriculturally based,no development Council and have no idea what they are getting themselves into,nor do they care.On top of that,the staff advice is coming from inexperienced people that don't even live in Summerland,so have no skin in the game at all!!
This kind of situation would not occur in Summerland,if once and for all there was a community plan done that would provide for the future reasonable growth in the community. This isn't the Council to spearhead such a plan!!
Summerland has missed out on many economic opportunities over the years and this is just another one that may or may not proceed!!
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Link?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Link to what?
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

To the story you're referring. It was early, did I miss it? If so, apologise, I just have no idea to what you're writing about.

Eta-ok, something about a developer.but in context?
,Clueless.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

If Lark pulls the project and puts it elsewhere there should be a 5-6% increase in Municipal taxes to offset the loss.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

What_the wrote:To the story you're referring. It was early, did I miss it? If so, apologise, I just have no idea to what you're writing about.

Eta-ok, something about a developer.but in context?
,Clueless.

Seriously... what the heck are you talking about in this forum????
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Are you afraid of progress Summerland. I hope the council approves it and all you NIMBYS can shut up and accept it. The hatchery should have no say in the matter.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

westbankkid wrote:The hatchery should have no say in the matter.

The fishies have a lot of say as to what is built and where. They rule.. Except with the issue of open pen salmon farms...( another thread for that)
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

westbankkid wrote:Are you afraid of progress Summerland. I hope the council approves it and all you NIMBYS can shut up and accept it. The hatchery should have no say in the matter.

I'll give ya a strong second on that. The nimby fabrication on this is only trumped by the ALR land swap. Nothing will ever happen in Summerland except being a bedroom community to Penticton. They can all say goodbye to their schools and commercial district.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

twobits wrote:
westbankkid wrote:Are you afraid of progress Summerland. I hope the council approves it and all you NIMBYS can shut up and accept it. The hatchery should have no say in the matter.

I'll give ya a strong second on that. The nimby fabrication on this is only trumped by the ALR land swap. Nothing will ever happen in Summerland except being a bedroom community to Penticton. They can all say goodbye to their schools and commercial district.

westbankkid you don't even live in Summerland so of course you don't care what happens here.

Summerland will continue being a bedroom community to Penticton, even if Lark builds this or not. Seniors having nothing to do with keeping a school open and I don't believe they will spend much money in downtown Summerland, other than a few cups of coffee!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Chimera wrote:Seniors having nothing to do with keeping a school open and I don't believe they will spend much money in downtown Summerland, other than a few cups of coffee!

Unfortunately, that is about all they can buy in Summerland. I think you have to go to Penticton to buy socks for example.
Car repair in Summerland and groceries as well can be purchased. There are about 4 second hand stores that endlessly recycle other peoples stuff.

I wonder why the principals are so closed minded to another area that would be more suitable?

Return to “South Okanagan”