47395

Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby dle » Aug 5th, 2017, 6:29 am

More proof this City has serious prioritizing issues - close part of the lake in a heartbeat so no one can watch the snowbirds from their boat, but close part of the lake so the firefighting planes can scoop, or to protect the foreshore in flooding - not a chance :135: !

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203542
dle
Board Meister
 
Posts: 364
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 354 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby WalterWhite » Aug 5th, 2017, 6:38 am

Huh? Which city? This is in Penticton. It's standard practice for an area of water the Snowbirds are performing over to be strictly off limits during their show, ever since the crash in Toronto I believe. Areas used for water pick up by aircraft during a fire are also off limits, and are often patrolled by the police water services.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1159
Likes: 901 posts
Liked in: 1242 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby seewood » Aug 5th, 2017, 7:03 am

dle wrote:More proof this City has serious prioritizing issues - close part of the lake in a heartbeat so no one can watch the snowbirds from their boat, but close part of the lake so the firefighting planes can scoop, or to protect the foreshore in flooding - not a chance !


This has happened ever since the display has taken place over the water. Lots of room with great visibility just outside the "line" Show is what, 1/2 hour or so? then the lake is open again, not a big deal for safety reasons.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Board Meister
 
Posts: 405
Likes: 390 posts
Liked in: 375 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby Fancy » Aug 5th, 2017, 7:10 am

dle wrote:More proof this City has serious prioritizing issues - close part of the lake in a heartbeat so no one can watch the snowbirds from their boat, but close part of the lake so the firefighting planes can scoop, or to protect the foreshore in flooding - not a chance :135: !

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203542

You'd rather not have the Snowbirds perform?
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43029
Likes: 933 posts
Liked in: 4833 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby dle » Aug 5th, 2017, 7:21 am

thought I had posted this reply but something went awry so here goes again:

sorry, my bad, I didn't read it properly and so didn't note the show was in Penticton.

However, and I will do better and try and make myself clear this time, my point was and is that when suggesting the lake be closed here in Kelowna, for safety reasons, during parts of the crucial fire-fighting efforts and the very critical flood days, we were told nope, could only be closed by the Feds.

So, how is it that it can be closed, for safety reasons, for the Snowbirds show? Did the Feds close it? Nope don't think so...
dle
Board Meister
 
Posts: 364
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 354 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby GordonH » Aug 5th, 2017, 7:36 am

dle wrote:thought I had posted this reply but something went awry so here goes again:

sorry, my bad, I didn't read it properly and so didn't note the show was in Penticton.

However, and I will do better and try and make myself clear this time, my point was and is that when suggesting the lake be closed here in Kelowna, for safety reasons, during parts of the crucial fire-fighting efforts and the very critical flood days, we were told nope, could only be closed by the Feds.

So, how is it that it can be closed, for safety reasons, for the Snowbirds show? Did the Feds close it? Nope don't think so...

Since Snowbirds are connected to the Canadian Armed Forces, so that makes them Fed's. Standard for them any time there show is over water.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18123
Likes: 1784 posts
Liked in: 5606 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby dle » Aug 5th, 2017, 8:35 am

GordonH wrote:
dle wrote:thought I had posted this reply but something went awry so here goes again:

sorry, my bad, I didn't read it properly and so didn't note the show was in Penticton.

However, and I will do better and try and make myself clear this time, my point was and is that when suggesting the lake be closed here in Kelowna, for safety reasons, during parts of the crucial fire-fighting efforts and the very critical flood days, we were told nope, could only be closed by the Feds.

So, how is it that it can be closed, for safety reasons, for the Snowbirds show? Did the Feds close it? Nope don't think so...

Since Snowbirds are connected to the Canadian Armed Forces, so that makes them Fed's. Standard for them any time there show is over water.


ok, fair enough, and I know I'm being a bit like a dog with a bone here, but I gotta chew it once more and say I guess what I'm asking is why is the safety of the pilots flying the Fire Boss bombers not given the same regard as the safety of the pilots flying the Snowbirds? I think the fire pilots are hired by the Provincial government, could be wrong, but in any event, Provincial or local government should be able to offer them the same safety measures I would hope. And there are a ton of eggheads on the lake trying to get close to take pics while they are trying to scoop! At least the Snowbirds are staying in the air....
dle
Board Meister
 
Posts: 364
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 354 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby Bsuds » Aug 5th, 2017, 8:57 am

Should just have an A10 Warthog clear a path for the planes before they scoop.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40908
Likes: 7068 posts
Liked in: 8901 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby dle » Aug 5th, 2017, 9:20 am

WalterWhite wrote:Huh? Which city? This is in Penticton. It's standard practice for an area of water the Snowbirds are performing over to be strictly off limits during their show, ever since the crash in Toronto I believe. Areas used for water pick up by aircraft during a fire are also off limits, and are often patrolled by the police water services.


It might be that it is supposed to be off limits but every year we hear the plea for boaters to stay away from the bombers so they can do their job so I'm guessing a few bubblebrains are slipping through....

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
dle
Board Meister
 
Posts: 364
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 354 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby canuck500 » Aug 5th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I imagine the same types that try and access the lake while air tankers are working are also the same types that will try and access the lake while the snowbirds are flying.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
canuck500
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 333 posts
Liked in: 34 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby JagXKR » Aug 7th, 2017, 11:45 am

This all may become moot if the smoke does not clear out. No show if the visibility remains this poor.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 624
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 424 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby JagXKR » Aug 7th, 2017, 11:55 am

BTW the first 3 just arrived. They will be here until Thursday then off to Abottsford. Even if they don't do the show. I want to see the F-18 as it's colour scheme is bright red.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 624
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 424 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby Nooby » Aug 7th, 2017, 11:59 am

Question - if it is a go - any suggestions for a good vantage point? Don't want to go down to the lake, too crowded. I know there's a great view from Munson Mountain but parking is so limited there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Nooby
Fledgling
 
Posts: 126
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby JagXKR » Aug 7th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Nooby wrote:Question - if it is a go - any suggestions for a good vantage point? Don't want to go down to the lake, too crowded. I know there's a great view from Munson Mountain but parking is so limited there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.


Although the lake or the parks may be too crowded for you the show always has a center where crossovers etc happen. That is usually near the Peach. So when you see the planes coming at each other and then pass by each other that point is usually at the show center. There are some low flyovers in formation that come straight from the north that head directly also to show center. Kinda cool watching a formation fly right at you and over top your head at a low level. You can "feel" them.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 624
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 424 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Closing part of lake for Snowbirds

Postby Nooby » Aug 7th, 2017, 12:49 pm

JagXKR wrote:
Nooby wrote:Question - if it is a go - any suggestions for a good vantage point? Don't want to go down to the lake, too crowded. I know there's a great view from Munson Mountain but parking is so limited there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.


Although the lake or the parks may be too crowded for you the show always has a center where crossovers etc happen. That is usually near the Peach. So when you see the planes coming at each other and then pass by each other that point is usually at the show center. There are some low flyovers in formation that come straight from the north that head directly also to show center. Kinda cool watching a formation fly right at you and over top your head at a low level. You can "feel" them.


Thanks - that does sound pretty cool. Might just have to suck it up and put up with the crowds, won't kill us to do so. :130:
Nooby
Fledgling
 
Posts: 126
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Next

Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests