Pet's left in Cars

theseeker
Fledgling

Pet's left in Cars

Post by theseeker »

Well, I had an experience today at Cheery Lane Mall, I was waiting in my car as my wife was shopping, listening to music and drinking water as it was hot, when I noticed a Van next to me running and a small dog barking, I suspected the reason it was running was for the air conditioner could run for the dog, I was a little concerned, as well as a lady who was out there having a smoke, well my wife came back from her shopping and banking and said is that dog still in there,well the owner came back as my wife and another lady were leaving a note on the windshield. The owner was upset with are concern and said so and said she was just away for 5 minutes, we were there ourselves 20 minute, anyway we left as I didn't want to get into a screaming match, the owner said check it out the air is on. What do the rest of you think should we have been concerned.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Pet's left in Cars

Post by Bunnyhop »

The vehicle was running with the AC on so it sounds lke the dog was fine. Some dogs just bark when being left in a vehicle, maybe the dog was barking at the people getting close?

It was nice of you to be concerned but unless the dog is in distress, there's nothing to worry about. Not every dog left in a vehicle is in danger.
george~

Post by george~ »

This

13263803_10208120145554936_3330809441080299820_n.jpg
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

george~ wrote:This

13263803_10208120145554936_3330809441080299820_n.jpg

I saw the same sort of sign in an suv at the superstore. Couldn't help but think about no idle zones and laws. And while I am not an eco freak or global warming alarmist, I could not help but think that this kind of behavior is a complete and opulent waste of resources. Why can these animals not just be left at home were the ac is probably already running or just out in the great outdoors with water and a provision of shade. The animal would be happier and better off in both alternate situations rather than confined to a vehicle no matter if even climate controlled. IMO, these people are deserving of Darwin awards and should not be allowed to own a pet.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

because people are a holes that's why
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

Thanks twobit, I was going to bring up the idling of the van to the owner as well,and that she was 20 minutes for sure not 5 as I was there for the 20 minutes, but I didn't want to push it. I have noticed more dogs in the Mall on leash's so I guess it's allowed in the Mall. If I see it again I will speak up.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't trust a vehicle left alone running, windows up with AC to save my dog - so i wouldn't do it.

However if i'm in my truck with or without my dog in 30+ waiting for someone, i'm running it.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Good luck doing this with newer cars, my Mustang has a push button start, the only way to keep that car running is with the fob IN the car, and that also prevents the doors from being locked. Anybody could just jump in and drive off.m

Also idling your car? how dumb do you have to be? pollution and with gas prices the way they are? Bad enough I get 21mpg driving the thing like I'm going to idle away the rest of my gas lol.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I'm of the mind that dogs generally are better left at home, no matter the weather or time of year.

Some people travel with their dogs though, or maybe one of the errands they are running that day includes their dog. Vet appointment, trip to the dog park, etc. Wouldn't leaving their car running with AC on for 10 minutes be a better choice than running the dog home before continuing their errands?

If it was an adult and baby left in a running car with AC on, would we be as judgemental about it?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

JBX wrote:Good luck doing this with newer cars, my Mustang has a push button start, the only way to keep that car running is with the fob IN the car, and that also prevents the doors from being locked. Anybody could just jump in and drive off.m

Also idling your car? how dumb do you have to be? pollution and with gas prices the way they are? Bad enough I get 21mpg driving the thing like I'm going to idle away the rest of my gas lol.

Pretty sure you could leave the car and it will stay running (does on GM and BMW), although not sure on the door locking.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bunnyhop wrote:If it was an adult and baby left in a running car with AC on, would we be as judgemental about it?

Well of course not. That is a responsible adult. The obvious difference however is that you can leave a dog at home by itself in the AC or yard with shade. Leaving a baby at home....not so acceptable.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

You know what? Think I just found my next new business venture.

http://swampy.net/petairconditioner.html

Seriously, common sense would say "gee it's 100 degrees out and buffy the big dog wanna be is slowly pacing around the living room, tongue hanging out, saliva dripping, panting like a former Iron dog finisher and the owner thinks that maybe just maybe buffy would like to go for a car ride. Hell - what are some of these people doing going out in the heat? Don't believe they can handle it let alone drive. And please remember, Buffy sits on your lap with you holding their cute little head out the window for air as you try and drive holding a lit cigarette. But all is good because you have the air conditioner on!! Something tells me there is medication for these types of people is there not?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

theseeker wrote:Thanks twobit, I was going to bring up the idling of the van to the owner as well,and that she was 20 minutes for sure not 5 as I was there for the 20 minutes, but I didn't want to push it. I have noticed more dogs in the Mall on leash's so I guess it's allowed in the Mall. If I see it again I will speak up.

if windows are up completly i would still call police or bylaw or who ever . unfortunatly even police dogs have died in cars
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

What I find disturbing is the fact that we are even having this conversation about Pets in cars during heat spells. Seriously it doesn't matter if the windows are up or partially down - if it's 90 degrees outside the car the pet inside the car is a goner. Break the frigging window then call the police or bylaw. Embarrass the hell out of the owner - but then again if they left the pet in the car I doubt very much if they would have any awareness to understand why one broke their car window to rescue their pet from a sure death experience.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pet owners who leave their pet in the vehicle on hot days, it's impossible to fix stupid. impo the authorities should fine them ($$$) plus minimum 50+ hours of community service i.e cleaning up dog sh :cuss: t
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “South Okanagan”