Penticton Pool

Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Re: Penticton Pool

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I said why, I use the pool, in fact, I need the pool (not just use).

Holy cow I've been very transparent about what I'm asking and why. I'm irritated (full stop). I hope that somewhere some builder/designer is not only paying for their mistakes, but paying for loss of revenue and a penalty to the city who only has one pool. I am not in the industry, I am just a lady who likes the pool.

I have no skin in this game other than I use the pool, I like the pool, I appreciate the pool, I get irritated that there seems to be a lot of problems with it. I waited for over a year with no pool when it was being built and my quality of life is less without it.

That's all, it's really not a nefarious thing here, I'm simply bummed.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So these closures happen everywhere ... https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204770
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Now I'm wondering if you're being a little evasive!

I have acknowledged with my "like" that I guess the 3 week shutdown another poster mentioned on this thread was typical. I "get that", I "understand that" and I think it seems pretty excessive for a brand new pool to require that much maintenance, but I don't know Jack about commercial buildings, so I accept this.

But what about all the things that seem to have gone wrong with the tiles, and then the pipes, and then a leak of ____? It seems to have some parts not operational quite a bit for a brand new build.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I gave you phone numbers - simply call them. Not trying to be difficult ... actually trying to help you. Call city hall they are the ones who can answer your questions - not sure about your resistance that's all. Good luck and happy swimming.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

No bad blood. Truth be told, I flipping hate the phone! I talk and talk and talk all year, I try to not talk for 6 weeks every summer.

Crazy right, I know. I just really hate the phone,
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

The city foot the bill for the tile replacement, because in 2011 when the pool was reno'd they decided to install the larger 12x24 deck tiles that unfortunately were not provided adequate footing for users. The larger tiles were costing the city $79,000 annually to maintain anti slip coating, acid etching, and power washing. So the cost to replace all the tiles in the summer, when the pool has the least amount of use, was recouped in 3 years in maintenance savings. As for the leaking pipes, none of that cost was paid for by the city. Stuart Olson Dominion Construction, the contractor that completed the 2011 project fixed the drain leak issues at their own cost, even though it was suspected that the minor earth quake in June 2015 may have caused it. They also did the repair work on their own dime for the hot tub leak. As for pool maintenance... 3 weeks may seem like a long time, but take in to account equipment checks/replacement/repair, power washing, inspection, grout resealing, antislip coating, engineering inspection of: waterslide, diving boards, ropes, and climbing apparatus, then stabilizing the water for use.

Return to “South Okanagan”