Pay Parking by Smart Phone

twobits
Guru

Re: Pay Parking by Smart Phone

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote:Your suggestion of using coins for the max, then remotely paying for another max amount of time might be able to get a vehicle double the max, but the question becomes "how much effort do you put out to circumvent it?" when you could just find a long-term parking spot somewhere else ...

Not talking about the alternative to long term parking. BTW, where is that considering Valley First is looking to buy the old 7/11 site for their staff parking. Am talking about abuse of day parking. Residents east of Main St right up to Government are now being forced to pay for resident parking passes to park on the street in front of their own homes from the anticipated pressure from lack of parking downtown. What's right about that?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote:Not talking about the alternative to long term parking. BTW, where is that considering Valley First is looking to buy the old 7/11 site for their staff parking. Am talking about abuse of day parking. Residents east of Main St right up to Government are now being forced to pay for resident parking passes to park on the street in front of their own homes from the anticipated pressure from lack of parking downtown. What's right about that?

I've been paying to park in front of my house for years ... every year I hand over another $30+ at City Hall and they give me a sticker for my car ... any parking on the street does not belong to me and that's that ... I didn't build it, the City sweeps it (when I'm not parked there) ... why does anyone think they have more right to the street than anyone else?

I see my street fill up whenever there is an event downtown because of parking pressure and cheapskates ... they go away eventually ... first come first serve ...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote:I've been paying to park in front of my house for years ... every year I hand over another $30+ at City Hall and they give me a sticker for my car ... any parking on the street does not belong to me and that's that ... I didn't build it, the City sweeps it (when I'm not parked there) ... why does anyone think they have more right to the street than anyone else?

I see my street fill up whenever there is an event downtown because of parking pressure and cheapskates ... they go away eventually ... first come first serve ...

I agree with you in principle that the streets are owned by everyone. However, these resident parking passes were created to solve the problem of residents not being able to find parking near their own homes because of reasons extraneous to the established neighborhood itself. The intro of pay parking at the hospital, and the SOEC come to mind. Many of the homes in these areas were also built in an era when it was typical to not have garage or carport. Many do not even have a driveway period.
And now, the residents east of Downtown face paying for parking that we both agree belongs to everyone because the City has reduced available parking and introduced pay parking. They create a problem for these residents and then turn around and charge them money as a solution.
Also evident from your post is that the resident passes do not work. In your own words...."I see my street fill up whenever there is an event downtown because of parking pressure and cheapskates ... they go away eventually ... first come first serve". Quite obviously there is no enforcement or respect for resident permit parking areas as per your own observations shared here. Have you never questioned yourself as to why you are paying the City your 30 bucks every year for a useless sticker?
But hey, thanks for your little extra tax contribution. You fill a cpl of potholes every yr yourself for the rest of us.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote:Also evident from your post is that the resident passes do not work. In your own words...."I see my street fill up whenever there is an event downtown because of parking pressure and cheapskates ... they go away eventually ... first come first serve". Quite obviously there is no enforcement or respect for resident permit parking areas as per your own observations shared here. Have you never questioned yourself as to why you are paying the City your 30 bucks every year for a useless sticker?
But hey, thanks for your little extra tax contribution. You fill a cpl of potholes every yr yourself for the rest of us.

Actually there is enforcement, have dealt with a couple of situations before the City changed to stickers and just had mirror hangers ... that's why I see the interlopers disappear ... and why the residents on the street don't have an issue ...

The resident passes create a priority for the people who live there versus those who are visiting ... it's not an entitlement, it's a pain everyone has to deal with as we ignore our addiction to cars ...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote:it's not an entitlement, it's a pain everyone has to deal with as we ignore our addiction to cars ...

Addiction to cars? When there is actually a viable alternative like public transit that can clear 2500 to 5000 thousand people or more than 12 taxis and people still drive I will buy into your addiction premise. Until then, there are few options to driving.
You are perhaps lucky that you live close enough to walk as evidenced from people that are willing to park on your street and walk to the venue. Sounds a little like preaching to the choir to me. Much like living across the street from the bar and wondering why people don't visit the establishment as much as you can.

spooker

Post by spooker »

twobits wrote:
Addiction to cars? When there is actually a viable alternative like public transit that can clear 2500 to 5000 thousand people or more than 12 taxis and people still drive I will buy into your addiction premise. Until then, there are few options to driving.
You are perhaps lucky that you live close enough to walk as evidenced from people that are willing to park on your street and walk to the venue. Sounds a little like preaching to the choir to me. Much like living across the street from the bar and wondering why people don't visit the establishment as much as you can.

It's not luck that I live as close to things as I do ... it was a conscious choice ... and yes, just like people who buy in West Kelowna and yet spend all their time in Kelowna yet complain about their commute, I just shake my head ...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

spooker wrote:[
It's not luck that I live as close to things as I do ... it was a conscious choice ... and yes, just like people who buy in West Kelowna and yet spend all their time in Kelowna yet complain about their commute, I just shake my head ...

To each his own I suppose. I shake my head at the thought of compartmentalized housing and densities so high that you know when your neighbor has a bowel movement or a snoring problem. Also don't think it is a particularly good place to raise kids.
And my parking is free of fee's and City permits.

Return to “South Okanagan”