National Park

Tony
Übergod

National Park

Post by Tony »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -announced

Did anyone hear what the announcement was?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: National Park

Post by Bsuds »

The announcement was it's going to be announced today.

Politicians don't get up this early, you will have to wait a bit.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Apparently I didn't have coffee this morning.....

I was off by a day. Thanks BSuds....
:biggrin:
:bethecoffee:
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Seriously? This was the big news? They're going to talk about it again?

Go NDP.... show us your... nope... I have nothing. What a waste.

Nat'l park talks rebooting
Colin Dacre - Oct 27, 2017 / 10:39 am | Story: 210153
Photo: Colton Davies
Catherine McKenna in Osoyoos - Oct. 27

The federal, provincial governments and local First Nations announced Friday a recommitment to creating a national park reserve in the South Okanagan.

Minister responsible for Parks Canada Catherine McKenna was in Osoyoos for the announcement.

"A new national park reserve in the South Okanagan would protect one of Canada's iconic natural and cultural landscapes and provide opportunities to share this inspiring place with Canadians and visitors from around the world," said McKenna. "By renewing our commitment to work together to establish a national park reserve in the South Okanagan, we can conserve this incredible landscape for future generations.”

She was joined by B.C. Minister of Environment, George Heyman. The NDP’s campaign platform included a promise of a national park in the region.

The park will be a partnership with three southern communities of the Syilx/Okanagan Nation. Discussion between all the groups will also consider the continuation of ranching and recreational activities in the region.

Many ranchers and recreational users of the area have been staunchly opposed to the park, including local MLA Linda Larson.

Chief Clarence Louie of the Osoyoos Indian Band says they are looking forward to the talks, “in light of the new advancements that have been made toward a new relationship based on recognition of rights, respect, cooperation, and partnership, which promotes a lasting reconciliation.”

The previous B.C. Liberal government made a nearly identical announcement in the run up to the provincial election in January.

Castanet News has a reporter at the announcement in Osoyoos and will update this story.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Tony wrote:Seriously? This was the big news? They're going to talk about it again?

Go NDP.... show us your... nope... I have nothing. What a waste.

Not sure why the Province (NDP) is involved. This is a Federal matter. Time that the province backed off. Its definately something that should be done via Referendum before any decision is made. Both sides have strong opinions on it.

Personally, I don't want it; would restrict too much activity. Not everyone is capable of hiking up a 6000 ft mountain to enjoy the area, plus the Mount Kobau area is riddled with roads/trails, clearcuts now. Not what one would expect of a Pristine wilderness National Park. We already have the Cathedral Park not far away for flower lovers and tree huggers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This is dumb and unnecessary. Much of the land is already provincial park, and the rest is mostly range land for cattle. None of it is the so called "Osoyoos Desert". It serves absolutely no purpose, and I hope it never happens. If they need to preserve more land (which I would like to see), set aside more land for provincial and regional parks in the valley bottom instead of adding ordinary mountain top forest found all over southern BC to Vaseux Provincial Park, and changing it to a national park.

It's not the cattle range lands up on top of the mountains that is under stress from development, but rather the land among the heavily populated valley bottom that needs protection. It's far easier to create smaller regional parks in these sensitive areas than a national one, so go that route.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Glacier wrote:This is dumb and unnecessary. Much of the land is already provincial park, and the rest is mostly range land for cattle. None of it is the so called "Osoyoos Desert". It serves absolutely no purpose, and I hope it never happens. If they need to preserve more land (which I would like to see), set aside more land for provincial and regional parks in the valley bottom instead of adding ordinary mountain top forest found all over southern BC to Vaseux Provincial Park, and changing it to a national park.

It's not the cattle range lands up on top of the mountains that is under stress from development, but rather the land among the heavily populated valley bottom that needs protection. It's far easier to create smaller regional parks in these sensitive areas than a national one, so go that route.

Well said, Glacier; well said! :up:

I think what a lot of these tree hugger types don't realize, is that if its made into a National Park, the restrictions placed upon road travel would be huge. A lot of these people are older and hiking a trail up to the top of a mountain, instead of driving up is not something that everyone can do. It just isn't the area for it at all.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Unfortunately, "National Park" designation has such a sweet and positive ring to it that the majority of supporters of such a ridiculous notion for this area are about as smart as the average voter.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Do National Parks not receive more funding from the Federal level?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Dizzy1 wrote:Do National Parks not receive more funding from the Federal level?

To do what? This is natural range land that a lot of ranchers make their living on. It's available for public to go to, hunt, fish, hike etc. What are they going to do if it's turned into a park? The ranchers involved will lose their range land, which means they won't be able to run their cattle, which means they will be out of business, which means there will be less BC beef hitting the market.....

It's stupid and it's purely Political why they are revisiting. The NO side needs to get really vocal about now.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tony wrote:
To do what?

I don’t know - ‘twas but a question.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Likely, the feds will be all for it, however the current National parks are underfunded so what exactly is going to be the scope, degree of access to the public and of course enforcement if the area is now closed to people that have been using the land as is for years ?
Perhaps all this has been documented .
Personally, if some want it protected from development, I'd be thinking there are ways to do it without disturbing the current stakeholders using the area to earn an income, Ranchers, HNZ Helicopters for example.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
blyon

Post by blyon »

smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

Unfortunately, "National Park" designation has such a sweet and positive ring to it that the majority of supporters of such a ridiculous notion for this area are about as smart as the average voter.

As George Carlin said, think about how smart/dumb the average person is then realize that half them are dumber
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Politicians realized a few years ago that "green policy' would get them votes. They don't actually have to accomplish anything. They just have to appear to be doing something green. Message to the politicians. Leave us alone. Keep your National Park and look after the ones you already have.

Many different groups use these areas and hopefully will be able to continue for many years to come. Hikers in expensive SUVs with their bags of granola have no more right to use the land than anyone else.

Return to “South Okanagan”