Performing Arts Center

twobits
Guru

Performing Arts Center

Post by twobits »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... y-of-SOPAC

Sorry, but I cannot understand why after so many years we are still flogging this dead horse. While I value performing arts, it seems quite obvious from the lack of support and funding to get the Pen Mar project to fruition, that there is just not the appetite, funding or support for a 30 to 50 million dollar Performing Arts Center in this community.
I would think it should be abundantly clear already to Jake Kimerberly and friends that taxpayers have different priorities.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Re: Performing Arts Center

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/212171/Council-weary-of-SOPAC

Sorry, but I cannot understand why after so many years we are still flogging this dead horse. While I value performing arts, it seems quite obvious from the lack of support and funding to get the Pen Mar project to fruition, that there is just not the appetite, funding or support for a 30 to 50 million dollar Performing Arts Center in this community.
I would think it should be abundantly clear already to Jake Kimerberly and friends that taxpayers have different priorities.

I completely agree with you on this. I believe (it was a while ago) that the city gave this group 5 years to come up with the funding and then they could keep the lot. That's long since passed and they likely had an extension. However if this group thinks for one minute that the City will give tax dollars to build it, they have another thing coming. Won't happen in a million years.

I am all for a decent sized performing Arts building but how many will be built before its big enough? The Clelland was a mistake as was too small and now cannot be added onto. Pen High was about right size but needed major work and is now gone. Shatford is ok but not big enough. Then there is the old Pen Mar; another mistake.

This group needs to get with the program and organize and raise funds from wherever they can but don't ask to use municipal tax dollars for any part of it, other than the ground that it might sit on.

Return to “South Okanagan”