49895
46694

Mayor receives dead rats

Mayor receives dead rats

Postby ferri » Nov 24th, 2017, 2:09 pm

“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 42981
Likes: 13343 posts
Liked in: 8188 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby bob vernon » Nov 24th, 2017, 3:32 pm

As always, municipal politics in the Okanagan is all about zoning and land use. It's always a battle over developers getting the zoning, water lines, sewer lines, and roads for their land and just who pays for it. And the bitterness when the changes get shoved through. There's just so much money at stake.

maryjane48 likes this post.
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1880
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 957 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:37 am

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby Treblehook » Nov 24th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Summerland too, has a few individuals who lack even a modicum of class...well they have at least one. Depositing dead rats in the driveway of the Mayor is not only disgusting and immature, but shows that the individual doing so has no respect for his neighbors or his community. If everyone in Summerland was functioning at this same low level, the individual depositing the dead rodents could look forward to a old time *bleep* whooping when found out.

0gopogo likes this post.
User avatar
Treblehook
Übergod
 
Posts: 1787
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 1064 posts
Joined: Jan 17th, 2011, 1:10 am

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby old boy » Nov 24th, 2017, 4:42 pm

While I certainly don't condone this kind of type of actions,Summerland certainly has no lack of childish, imature people when it comes to politics,including some who sit around the Council table at the present time. In my recollection of protests and actions against a Council there has never been anything like the,DISREPECT, low actions and insults towards the Council of Mayor Perrino ,when the "STOP the SWAP"movement was in action at all the public meetings,etc. Peter took no action to quell his supporters of those malicious actions, now he is finding out just what it is really like to be in public office in Summerland and having to make some really hard decisions,which he has brought upon himself!!!

yaky likes this post.
old boy
Fledgling
 
Posts: 126
Likes: 454 posts
Liked in: 176 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby my5cents » Nov 24th, 2017, 5:01 pm

old boy wrote:While I certainly don't condone this kind of type of actions,Summerland certainly has no lack of childish, imature people when it comes to politics,including some who sit around the Council table at the present time. In my recollection of protests and actions against a Council there has never been anything like the,DISREPECT, low actions and insults towards the Council of Mayor Perrino ,when the "STOP the SWAP"movement was in action at all the public meetings,etc. Peter took no action to quell his supporters of those malicious actions, now he is finding out just what it is really like to be in public office in Summerland and having to make some really hard decisions,which he has brought upon himself!!!

There are ways to voice your disapproval, justifying this type of act, as "he has brought upon himself" is NOT the way.

If identified, criminal charges against this individual would be VERY appropriate.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Anonymous123 likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3261
Likes: 626 posts
Liked in: 915 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby twobits » Nov 24th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Has anyone actually even considered that this "rat" message may have squat to do with with current media highlights and just some resident that is fed up with the rat problem in Summerland?
Seems to me, just a few months ago, we had a thread here on Castanet about the rat problem in some parts or Summerland.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

5 people like this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6030
Likes: 514 posts
Liked in: 2309 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 24th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Id like to see this area have a rat patrol like in alberta. Lets be rat free. Then no one will have rats on their driveway.
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2944
Likes: 4851 posts
Liked in: 1655 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby fluffy » Nov 25th, 2017, 11:18 am

old boy wrote:While I certainly don't condone this kind of type of actions,Summerland certainly has no lack of childish, imature people when it comes to politics,including some who sit around the Council table at the present time. In my recollection of protests and actions against a Council there has never been anything like the,DISREPECT, low actions and insults towards the Council of Mayor Perrino ,when the "STOP the SWAP"movement was in action at all the public meetings,etc. Peter took no action to quell his supporters of those malicious actions, now he is finding out just what it is really like to be in public office in Summerland and having to make some really hard decisions,which he has brought upon himself!!!


We watched the same thing in Penticton with the "Save Skaha Park" crowd. No respect for public process or even the basics of social acceptability. Fight as dirty as you like, the end result is all that matters. When you get right down to it this goes on in all levels of Canadian political interaction, albeit the higher you go the more sophisticated the tactics. I can't condone this kind of behavior from anyone, but as you say, Mr. Waterman turned a blind eye to it when he and his were under-represented on council.
It surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18869
Likes: 202 posts
Liked in: 3493 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 4:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby 0gopogo » Nov 25th, 2017, 6:19 pm

:-X
Insane to think some immature jackass did this. The current council in Summerland is nothing to sneeze at and has gone against the mayor. Likely one of them did this.
0gopogo
Fledgling
 
Posts: 124
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 83 posts
Joined: Jul 17th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby twobits » Nov 25th, 2017, 7:26 pm

fluffy wrote:
We watched the same thing in Penticton with the "Save Skaha Park" crowd. No respect for public process or even the basics of social acceptability. Fight as dirty as you like, the end result is all that matters. When you get right down to it this goes on in all levels of Canadian political interaction, albeit the higher you go the more sophisticated the tactics. I can't condone this kind of behavior from anyone, but as you say, Mr. Waterman turned a blind eye to it when he and his were under-represented on council.


I don't recall any dead rats being dropped in Jak's driveway? I think you are all off base in this message to Waterman. If Waterman discovered severed horse heads a la the "godfather", one might read in some sort of threat. Dead rats? Nah, they are about the rat issue, not the Banks development or compost at the landfill site.
To try tie the events together is no better than some of the sensationalized tactics the save the park fanatics with their sensationalized outcomes of all park lands being open to commercialization.
And what is more dangerous to public process? The people that refuse to listen to the facts as they are, or people that fabricate facts to support their opposition? The first are just ignorant. The second are more dangerous because they feed the ignorant. And together, they hijack public opinion and essentially the democratic process.
And as much as I think Waterman is a waste of human skin, I have to give him kudo's for having the stones to say that a topic should be revisited to hear all of the facts before it is voted on. The facts might not change the outcome, but in our society they should be heard by all....and that includes the voters that will vote in the next election who have been denied the entire factual argument because some Councillors "have already made up their mind despite any further information". Imo, that is irresponsible leadership and smacks of dictatorship.
Last edited by twobits on Nov 25th, 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Anonymous123 likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6030
Likes: 514 posts
Liked in: 2309 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby Fancy » Nov 25th, 2017, 7:32 pm

my5cents wrote:If identified, criminal charges against this individual would be VERY appropriate.

And what might those be?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43946
Likes: 1030 posts
Liked in: 5230 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby GordonH » Nov 25th, 2017, 7:37 pm

I suspect the mayor is thinking that lump of coal is looking pretty good, compared to what he received as an early gift. lol

Fancy likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18764
Likes: 1932 posts
Liked in: 6156 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby Jflem1983 » Nov 26th, 2017, 8:11 am

How else is a person supposed to let the mayor know about a rat problem ?

I live in kelowna. I have made more than a few calls to the city regarding rats. Never seem to get anywhere. Just told im a horrible person for suggesting the city do something.

Penticton tried and failed i was told.

Well penticton failed. Shut er down then. Lets all just live with rats ? Ayfkm?

Every council member in every city in the okanagan ought to be payimg attention to this issue
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2944
Likes: 4851 posts
Liked in: 1655 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby fluffy » Nov 26th, 2017, 8:22 am

twobits wrote:I don't recall any dead rats being dropped in Jak's driveway? I think you are all off base in this message to Waterman. If Waterman discovered severed horse heads a la the "godfather", one might read in some sort of threat. Dead rats? Nah, they are about the rat issue, not the Banks development or compost at the landfill site.
To try tie the events together is no better than some of the sensationalized tactics the save the park fanatics with their sensationalized outcomes of all park lands being open to commercialization.
And what is more dangerous to public process? The people that refuse to listen to the facts as they are, or people that fabricate facts to support their opposition? The first are just ignorant. The second are more dangerous because they feed the ignorant. And together, they hijack public opinion and essentially the democratic process.
And as much as I think Waterman is a waste of human skin, I have to give him kudo's for having the stones to say that a topic should be revisited to hear all of the facts before it is voted on. The facts might not change the outcome, but in our society they should be heard by all....and that includes the voters that will vote in the next election who have been denied the entire factual argument because some Councillors "have already made up their mind despite any further information". Imo, that is irresponsible leadership and smacks of dictatorship.


You sound like you're all over the map on this, are you actually condoning this kind of action?
It surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18869
Likes: 202 posts
Liked in: 3493 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 4:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Mayor receives dead rats

Postby twobits » Nov 26th, 2017, 5:30 pm

fluffy wrote:You sound like you're all over the map on this, are you actually condoning this kind of action?


All over the map how? All I said was that I thought the dead rats dropped on Waterman's doorstep were a message about a rat problem. I don't believe there is a tie in to other current civic issues like some posters here are suggesting.
I then suggested that some were trying to hijack the rat message and make it something it wasn't.....like the Bank's development. That IMO, is just fake news that the gullible eat up.
And for the record, no I do not condone the dumping of dead rats on the Mayor's, or anyone else's doorstep. Poor choice of action from an obviously frustrated property owner that has become desperate for some action.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Merry likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6030
Likes: 514 posts
Liked in: 2309 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Next

Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests