Neighbours kill rehab centre

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Neighbours kill rehab centre

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:As a recovering alcoholic, can you not understand or appreciate that the worst place for you to be in would be next to a bar or close to somewhere where someone can easily bring you liquor?

If merely being close to a source of alcohol was a risk for me I wouldn’t have made it through a month let alone 25 years. You’re clutching at straws to support an argument that is without merit. You don’t beat addiction by hiding any more than you can cure society’s problems by pushing them out of sight.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:You’re clutching at straws to support an argument that is without merit. You don’t beat addiction by hiding any more than you can cure society’s problems by pushing them out of sight.

Come on Fluffy, you sir are trying to create a win/lose scenario with regard to this topic. The point I am seeing being missed in this and I do believe both Twobits and XT are correct in what they are saying is simply that those home owners in any given setting where a rehab, treatment, addiction centre, whatever label you want to put on it will be established should be given the same respect you are advocating with your reworked Gandhi quote regarding societies view on the marginalized and underprivileged or in this case the addicted. No you do not beat addiction by hiding, yet this is what is happening. This facility and it's residents are being hidden from society. And as you say above, you can't cure society's problems by pushing them out of sight ... well again, that's exactly what is happening here isn't it? I was going to say that I am trying to respect your sobriety, yet, I struggle with your statement about how long you have been sober and how your experience gives you a different outlook than the usual nimby crowd. Matter of fact, I find this statement to be quite condescending. You might be surprised at just how many people support this project if they had access to what is really going on. Other people have intelligence,awareness and insight and are sensitive to the issues and people involved. Please don't try and position that only those in the recovery process understand, because that is simply not true.

I honestly feel Michelle Jansen should be more open about her plans, let the community in, don't shut them out. A real tough way to garner support for a very worthwhile cause. I do not see anyone demeaning or stigmatizing those with addiction issues, what I do see is honest everyday folks trying to find out what is really going on in their neighborhood. This is wrong? I think not.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think that's some wishful thinking on your part southy. Twobit's attitude is not uncommon. It is typical in the belief that these facilities bring crime and open drug use with them, a belief that is unsupported by anything more than a couple of anecdotes. That is my point. You talk of respect for neighbours, I expect you mean in public consultation before setting up a new facility, but I maintain that prejudice is so rampant where drug addiction is concerned that any attempt at openness just invites a landslide of opposition that is based in fear, fear with highly questionable relevance.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Insert key into mind - turn and open wide!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Let me give another example. If a children's daycare wishes to open in a residential neighbourhood, they must go public and have a hearing on it; only fair. What if its in a mainly Senior's neighbourhood? Do you think the seniors would be mostly in favor of it? Likely not (would ruin their peace and serenity) but it MAY pass; hard to say. Having 6 or more young children in a house/yard next door may be as harmless as the druggies trying to get rehab help. According to one or two people on here, they are not a threat at all. So why should a daycare require public input before opening and a drug rehab centre does not?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I think that a neighbourhood daycare can be every bit as disruptive as a drug rehab center. Public hearing required and so should be for the rehab place as well. I would likely vote for the rehab place but possibly not on the daycare. Definite lack of Transparency here which may backfire on the owner.

One on Winnipeg St perfect example of how it was done correctly; open and transparent and it was accepted by most.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

As a victim of a drug addicted criminal I have a different take. Also from being a victim of a drunk driver. The "stigma" that I put upon these people are a direct result of their actions, not mine. They cost me money and grief.
And no, never been the victim of daycare children thieving my property. But what if the place was a treatment center for a person with a disease, as the apologists like to call it, of the mind where the crime was child rape? I guess we shouldn't put a "stigma" on those people either as it's not their fault and any treatment center could be built right beside you. We wouldn't want a closed mind now would we.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

And those who brought this trouble on to you were attending a residential treatment program?

Too many people fail to make a distinction between practicing addicts and those seeking treatment for their addiction.

Return to “South Okanagan”