Neighbours kill rehab centre

ferri
Forum Administrator

Neighbours kill rehab centre

Post by ferri »

Plans to open a rehab centre at a Penticton home on Juniper Drive on Dec. 16 have fallen through.

Three neighbours of the home are reportedly closing a deal to purchase the home for $1.8M on Wednesday, negating the plan that Michelle Jansen had for it as a six-bed rehab facility.

The home is gated but shares a common driveway with two other residences.

Neighbours Jesse and Ashley Duncan, who are one of three involved in the purchase, said they were largely concerned about the safety for children.

"It's not a great situation... we didn't buy it as an investment," Jesse said.

More here: https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... hab-centre
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Neighbours kill rehab centre

Post by maryjane48 »

Fools,
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Great job by the neighbors to purchase the property. Great job!
Horrible location for a rehab center, horrible.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

JagXKR wrote:Great job by the neighbors to purchase the property. Great job!

City claims that they don't have to disclose the useage; (Provincial Rule, which is likely true); however I bet the Mayor and every member of council would not want it next door to THEM! Good job by the neighbours.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe a better location would be somewhere close to hospital or in that general area. Of course residents of that area will also be unhappy.
Funny how people say if only there was more rehab, just NIMBY.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JagXKR wrote:Great job by the neighbors to purchase the property. Great job!

ya think
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 13th, 2017, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 13th, 2017, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:Maybe a better location would be somewhere close to hospital or in that general area. Of course residents of that area will also be unhappy.

vegas1500 wrote:*removed*

*removed*

It is comments like the above that make me really wonder about the society we live in. Alcohol and drug addiction has been around forever. Yet, unless an individual or family is personally effected - recovery is a joke to most. With regard to this story, something tells me there is more to it than is being reported. And that's fine, let it be. But what bothers me most is the ignorance of those individuals who are so quick to make jokes about those addicted. Those who are trying to get their lives together and move forward out of a very dark hole. Those who really just want a chance at life. We need rehab facilities. These people need rehab facilities. Instead of bashing and joking about it why not give some serious thought to what might make a great location for a rehab center in Penticton and or the south Okanagan. I don't believe isolating these individuals is right either - likely their entire life has been spent isolating with either alcohol or drugs or both. Most are not mean people. Their intent is not to hurt. Their intent God willing is to find sobriety and a life that offers hope. I for one would like to help find a solution.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Maybe a better location would be somewhere close to hospital or in that general area. Of course residents of that area will also be unhappy.
Funny how people say if only there was more rehab, just NIMBY.[/quote]

It is comments like the above that make me really wonder about the society we live in. Alcohol and drug addiction has been around forever. Yet, unless an individual or family is personally effected - recovery is a joke to most. With regard to this story, something tells me there is more to it than is being reported. And that's fine, let it be. But what bothers me most is the ignorance of those individuals who are so quick to make jokes about those addicted. Those who are trying to get their lives together and move forward out of a very dark hole. Those who really just want a chance at life. We need rehab facilities. These people need rehab facilities. Instead of bashing and joking about it why not give some serious thought to what might make a great location for a rehab center in Penticton and or the south Okanagan. I don't believe isolating these individuals is right either - likely their entire life has been spent isolating with either alcohol or drugs or both. Most are not mean people. Their intent is not to hurt. Their intent God willing is to find sobriety and a life that offers hope. I for one would like to help find a solution.[/quote]

South, my post had no jokes in it. I do feel if someone owns a million dollar plus home in a residential neighborhood a rehab center would drop the value of their property and make resale next to impossible. Ask yourself, if you were buying your dream home, regardless of price, would you buy it next to a rehab center. If you say yes, you’re lying. I do believe these places are needed, but not in resedential areas....
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sorry Southy but what I read here is a mortgage tax deduction on the purchase of a 1.5 million dollar home to provide bedrooms for 6 people. More clearly, a real estate investment paid for by taxpayers.
I think there are more appropriate places that are not a very clear abuse of tax dollars.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

twobits wrote:Sorry Southy but what I read here is a mortgage tax deduction on the purchase of a 1.5 million dollar home to provide bedrooms for 6 people. More clearly, a real estate investment paid for by taxpayers.
I think there are more appropriate places that are not a very clear abuse of tax dollars.

Twobits, I think you and others are missing my point. It wasn't about the house so much as the ignorant rants by certain posters relating to those dealing with alcohol and drug addiction. If you reread my post you will see I say there is more to the story about the house than is being reported. Again, my beef is with those individuals who seem to think it's ok to poke fun at a very, very serious problem within out society. Obviously there are better locations, perhaps instead of wasting energy tossing jokes around these individuals might want to think about where those locations might be. I also went on to say I for one do not believe the location needs to be isolated for reasons said. Again, my post was not about the house but about how we view addiction and resolve.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have to wonder what risk the naysayers see coming from a facility such as this in their neighbourhood? With only six beds it's safe to assume this would be a fairly exclusive operation serving those with deep pockets, not your run-of-the-mill crack-head rehab.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

southy wrote:It is comments like the above that make me really wonder about the society we live in. Alcohol and drug addiction has been around forever. Yet, unless an individual or family is personally effected - recovery is a joke to most. With regard to this story, something tells me there is more to it than is being reported. And that's fine, let it be. But what bothers me most is the ignorance of those individuals who are so quick to make jokes about those addicted. Those who are trying to get their lives together and move forward out of a very dark hole. Those who really just want a chance at life. We need rehab facilities. These people need rehab facilities. Instead of bashing and joking about it why not give some serious thought to what might make a great location for a rehab center in Penticton and or the south Okanagan. I don't believe isolating these individuals is right either - likely their entire life has been spent isolating with either alcohol or drugs or both. Most are not mean people. Their intent is not to hurt. Their intent God willing is to find sobriety and a life that offers hope. I for one would like to help find a solution.

Okay I get my joking comment (not a serious comment) about the post vegas1500 made.
You added this post below into your slam about a joking post, why is this added. Please clarify
GordonH wrote:Maybe a better location would be somewhere close to hospital or in that general area. Of course residents of that area will also be unhappy.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That caught my eye too, why would a location closer to a hospital be preferable?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “South Okanagan”