Neighbours kill rehab centre

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Neighbours kill rehab centre

Post by XT225 »

the truth wrote:

she wanted to see herself on tv, she got what she wanted ,just another self serving do gooder

The folks who now run the newly opened Discovery House, a Men's drug rehab facility at 633 Winnipeg Street were on TV last night talking about their opening and they also took time to say how Ms. Jansen could have much better results by approaching the neighbours, as they did for their operation. In their case, the openness and transparency worked. Of course Ms. Jansen still would have needed to do the necessary Provincial Standards upgrades. The Winnipeg Street house was already heavily modified/upgraded years ago when it was designed as a type of senior's or group home, I believe.

ETA: Ms. Jansen was quoted as saying that the neigbhours on Juniper never approached her....well...she never did approach them, either.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Looks like its happening again. NOT notifying the neighbours and opening on March 1st. Poor way of communicating. Has nothing to do with NIMBY but rather its the right thing to do (notify the neighbours).

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218966
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

XT225 wrote:Looks like its happening again. NOT notifying the neighbours and opening on March 1st. Poor way of communicating. Has nothing to do with NIMBY but rather its the right thing to do (notify the neighbours).

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218966

no rules were broken quit your bitching mr nimby
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

she's working closely with the town's planners to have the property zoned.
Is the property being rezoned?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fancy wrote:

Sounds like she is gonna make some money
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Fancy wrote:

Apparently it may not require rezoning. It would be the prudent thing to do, however, to at least notify the immediate neighbourhood. Some might actually support it. This has nothing to do with NIMBY syndrome (to the other poster who felt that I am one of those types; definintely am not).
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I understand it may not require rezoning but am wondering if it's possible it IS being rezoned. Hard to confirm one way or the other when the address won't be given until after the fact.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Fancy wrote:I understand it may not require rezoning but am wondering if it's possible it IS being rezoned. Hard to confirm one way or the other when the address won't be given until after the fact.

I think that if it was being rezoned, it is required to be made Public. This one seems to be flying in under the radar. Provincial rules may over rule city ones; however I would think a rezoning is a rezoning, period. The right thing to do is inform the public, period.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

There is a nice big house right across the street from us that sold a few months ago.

I sure hope it was sold to this rehabilitation organization, I think it will show my young children about self-preservation and that seeking help is admirable and brave.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:There is a nice big house right across the street from us that sold a few months ago.

I sure hope it was sold to this rehabilitation organization, I think it will show my young children about self-preservation and that seeking help is admirable and brave.

I believe you think that because you are a kind hearted soul and prefer to see the good in all people despite their flaws. As you and your husband are both trained teachers, it has to be a natural trait for you.
But I have to also wonder how you might feel if one of your young children, which you have disclosed to having, were to step on a needle discarded on the street in front of your house? Relapse rates for people in these homes is well documented as well as sneaking out of the facility for a fix.
Is that really something that should be in a close proximity neighbourhood or should these places be a little more confined to areas that are a little less populated without the risk of dealer hookups outside the premise across the street from you?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:There is a nice big house right across the street from us that sold a few months ago.

According to recent articles in the media, the rehab centre is "Leasing" a residence from an un-named person. Location not disclosed. Pretty poor practices if you ask me. I would think that unless this is a residence that has previously been a group home or multi-family residence of some type, that it would require major changes to the interior to meet code. Building permits taken out, etc and this would take time. This one sounds like a rush job; lets hope that they got all the proper permits and did their homework. The city may claim that they don't have to disclose the location but it would certainly help to bolster their past lack of transparency reputation, if they did so. (it IS an Election year, ya know) Even the owner of the one at 633 Winnipeg said that most of the neighbours were IN favor of his facility when he went public on it and suggested that this lady might consider doing the same, I believe.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hiding stuff will never help them
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

From what I understand as long as they keep their “patients” to six or less, no special zoning or licensing is required.

The fear and stigma that follows addiction and mental health issues around is reason enough to keep neighbours out of the decision making loop. Actual disturbances can be dealt with individually through appropriate channels.

A measure of the level of social maturity a society has attained can be found in how they treat their marginalized and underprivileged.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:From what I understand as long as they keep their “patients” to six or less, no special zoning or licensing is required.

The fear and stigma that follows addiction and mental health issues around is reason enough to keep neighbours out of the decision making loop. Actual disturbances can be dealt with individually through appropriate channels.

A measure of the level of social maturity a society has attained can be found in how they treat their marginalized and underprivileged.

Question for you fluff. Is there a rehab house within 200 ft of where you reside? I know someone that has one four houses down and across the street in a very well populated and mid to higher end neighbourhood. In other words, not a drug neighborhood. Do you think the one or two needles they find in the area every week on the street and sidewalks are from their neighbours or the rehab house? BTW, there were never any needles prior to the rehab home and they have lived there for 20 plus yrs. So go ahead and preach levels of social maturity. Check back here when one of these social experiments moves into the house next to yours.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”