Modular housing coming

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Modular housing coming

Post by Drip_Torch »

southy wrote:Olly - it's your perception that everyone is taking away, maybe, just maybe you are wrong and what you see as being taken away is actually adding something positive.

Statistics Canada says the value of building permits issued by municipalities fell in March for the second consecutive month, due in large part to a drop in plans for apartment buildings, particularly in B.C. and Ontario.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... s-fall-5.8

Penticton is experiencing a major building boom recently, with the South Okanagan hotel business following suit.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ss-booming

Penticton is in the the midst of a building boom that doesn’t show any signs of slowing down.
Mid-year data released by the City of Penticton this week shows building permit applications up 35 per cent, with inspections up 38 per cent over the same time last year.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... m-underway

:smt045
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Yup....pretty clear that everything is going to hades in a hand basket here cuz we didn't get a water slide in Skaha Park.

The only thing that is going to go to suffer here in the next 4 yrs is the rental availability which is already at less than a 1%. With the new NDP gov't rules, no one in their right mind is going to build rental accommodation. That's how brain dead the NDP are. Create rules that discourage rental property investment in an already near zero vacancy market and pay to build modular housing for people living on the street. They can't even connect the dots that people are living on the street because of the lack of affordable housing and they have just made rules that will lessen the supply of rental accomodation.
Taking away the loophole of leases creating a new term with new conditions was reasonable. Eliminating market values and conditions to apply for something more than the 4% max was stupid and only a knee jerk reaction to Vancouver real estate prices. But that should really not be too surprising seeing as that is the voter market they cater to in order to get into power. Free bridge rides and contolled rent in the lower mainland gets to control the other 97% of BC's land mass and it's residents.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Laurane

Post by Laurane »

I completely disagree with your comments. Imagine if the public had not gotten involved regarding Skaha Park

That was the problem..... a bunch of uninformed, almost hysterical people protesting against a business which would have been good for the Skaha end of the city.

Not going to rehash it, but the biggest and best companies in the world actually bring in EXPERTS to make their company do even better. Same goes for cities and small business.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Laurane wrote:Not going to rehash it, but the biggest and best companies in the world actually bring in EXPERTS to make their company do even better. Same goes for cities and small business.

What experts were brought in? Last I heard the principals behind the proposed water slide pumped out septic tanks and porta potties and built boat docks. Was this incorrect? Who were the EXPERTS brought in?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:And where ever this modular housing apprears.....expect the crime rate in the surrounding area to quadruple just like it has around every social housing project to date in Penticton. The South end of Penticton is under siege now with petty crime and b'n'e's since the Hansel and Gretal and Bel Air Motel conversions to "social housing" operated by BC Housing Authority came into existence.
I hate to sound like an insensitive pryck, but neighborhoods where these housing projects show up suffer huge. South Main from Dawson to the Yorkton Ave area is now a free for all for night time crime. Cars, sheds, and unoccupied homes are being ransacked every night. Yet none of these crimes makes it into the media because why?
Tiffany Gardens, Caravilla Estates, Sandbridge, and the Springs, all have them happening nightly but they don't make the news. Why? Has the theft of computers, Tig welders, power tools yada yada become petty crime not worth reporting and making the public aware of?

Looks like most of council either doesn't like the location or are finally listening to the people who are against this project at that location. (all except Sentes; that could hurt her big time in the Polls next election).

ETA: the "safe injection" part of the proposal is what really irked me. There should be no tolerance for any drug useage onsite, period.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... d#comments
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Yes, it was very surprising that drugs would be tolerated on the project. Might have been a good part of the reason that council rejected the proposal and if so, good for them. Sentes is "off the Island" and her ship has quite a leaky hull; may not make the Mainland. :up:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Damn .. I know there's a life jacket around here somewhere. Oh well .. Maybe she can swim ...Not [icon_lol2.gif]
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Damn .. I know there's a life jacket around here somewhere. Oh well .. Maybe she can swim ...Not [icon_lol2.gif]

While any councillor is entitled to vote as they see fit, it was obvious that most people in the audience and the rest of council did not approve of the present location. I do not often see Ms. Sentes acting as a team player, nor one who listens to the electorate; that was clearly obvious in this situation. She won't be getting my X on the ballet this Fall. I would approve of the proposal in a more rural setting (near bus route) and if there was no drugs allowed on the premises.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Update today and not a bad location in my opinion; close to the Soup Kitchen and not close to any schools. Hopefully it won't add to the present downtown problems; should move a few people off the streets at least:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231892
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Hopefully this does alleviate some of the problems and assist 62 people back on their feet.

Regardless of location there will be people opposed

Return to “South Okanagan”