maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Modular housing coming

Post by maryjane48 »

pentona
Übergod

Re: Modular housing coming

Post by pentona »

This may be needed here but it will be really interesting to see where they decide to put them and if the public will be told ahead of time, unlike what happened up on Juniper Drive. The City says that they want to be involved but will they inform the public or ask for input.

Anyone know where there are lots in town owned by B.C. Housing? Who is paying for this; Provincial or City taxes?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

pentona wrote:Who is paying for this; Provincial or City taxes?

Does it really make any difference which level of Gov't pays. It all comes out of our pockets in the long run!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bsuds wrote:
Does it really make any difference which level of Gov't pays. It all comes out of our pockets in the long run!

Yes it does. And maybe it's time for a little payback. We all paid for the new Port Mann and Alex Frasier bridges and we use those how much?
This is Provincially funded as it should be as a social issue. Municipal or City funding for this sort of thing is outside of local mandate. To get into that sort of funding game is a dangerous and slippery slope that just leads to higher local taxes with no corresponding tax relief from the Province. Locals did not create the problem so why should they be expected to pay for the solution?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So I'm wondering where the partnership between BC Housing and the City comes in. What is the city 's involvement? The story does say the agreement is non-binding, whatever that means. I'm just not sure that the only involvement the city has is signing off on the aesthetics of the design.
Last edited by southy on Dec 19th, 2017, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

southy wrote:So I'm wondering where the partnership between BC Housing and the City comes in. What is the city 's involvement?

City involvement most likely providing land/lots, I could be wrong.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Actually, the story says these buildings will be erected on BC Housing Lands, not city property.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Does anyone by chance know what lands BC Housing owns in and around Penticton? I checked their website but can't find anything that disclosed this.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

southy wrote:Actually, the story says these buildings will be erected on BC Housing Lands, not city property.

City could sell a property they own to BC Housing Lands.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

GordonH wrote:City could sell a property they own to BC Housing Lands.

Very slippery slope there, should that even be a consideration, especially when a Municipal election is looming next November.

I believe B.C. Housing owns the parking lot beside the Lawn Bowling club; however its slated for low income housing next year.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

... if the public will be told ahead of time, unlike what happened up on Juniper Drive. The City says that they want to be involved but will they inform the public or ask for input.

We really need to quit asking the public about anything. Again and again "the public" has demonstrated they are not capable of contributing a thoughtful, qualified response.

Hire or elect professionals that you trust to make these decisions and then give them the tools they needs to succeed.
If they fail do not re-elect them or replace them as the case may be.

But please, let's quit letting every Tom, Dick and Mary weigh in. They are absolutely not qualified.
I'd like to thank God for making me an atheist.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

OllyV wrote:
We really need to quit asking the public about anything. Again and again "the public" has demonstrated they are not capable of contributing a thoughtful, qualified response.

Hire or elect professionals that you trust to make these decisions and then give them the tools they needs to succeed.

But please, let's quit letting every Tom, Dick and Mary weigh in. They are absolutely not qualified.

I completely disagree with your comments. Imagine if the public had not gotten involved regarding Skaha Park. There are a lot of qualified people out there in the public who have valuable input.

Just because someone works at the city or Govt, doesn't mean that they are experts at anything.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

OllyV wrote:Hire or elect professionals that you trust to make these decisions and then give them the tools they needs to succeed.

The problem is that no elected official ever keeps their promises and can never be trusted. Look at all the media that list true stories of them sitting down with wealthy business owners or breaking a promise like canceling site c. If the your average joe didn't weigh in, imagine how much worse it would be.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:So I'm wondering where the partnership between BC Housing and the City comes in. What is the city 's involvement? The story does say the agreement is non-binding, whatever that means. I'm just not sure that the only involvement the city has is signing off on the aesthetics of the design.

You pretty much nailed it right there. But you can be assured that come next November that the current incumbents that choose to run again will try to paint this as a reason to check their box when they actually squat to do with it except except continue with the same demand for Provincial funding that every single council for the last 30 yrs has also done.

And where ever this modular housing apprears.....expect the crime rate in the surrounding area to quadruple just like it has around every social housing project to date in Penticton. The South end of Penticton is under siege now with petty crime and b'n'e's since the Hansel and Gretal and Bel Air Motel conversions to "social housing" operated by BC Housing Authority came into existence.
I hate to sound like an insensitive pryck, but neighborhoods where these housing projects show up suffer huge. South Main from Dawson to the Yorkton Ave area is now a free for all for night time crime. Cars, sheds, and unoccupied homes are being ransacked every night. Yet none of these crimes makes it into the media because why?
Tiffany Gardens, Caravilla Estates, Sandbridge, and the Springs, all have them happening nightly but they don't make the news. Why? Has the theft of computers, Tig welders, power tools yada yada become petty crime not worth reporting and making the public aware of?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Twobits tries to put forth the idea that only poor commit crimes but facts call that false.

Escobar al capone. Ma bouchier. Ect ect were all rich

Return to “South Okanagan”