Non-State border patrols near Osoyoos?

Hermes
Fledgling

Non-State border patrols near Osoyoos?

Post by Hermes »

Arizona has border patrols, like Neighbourhood Watch except to prevent and stop persons crossing illegally (not at border crossing points, without ID and not approved). Does Canada? Problem is, if the RCMP and our Liberal government welcomes illegal crossing into Canada, what is the point? In fact what is the point of having a border? I used to be libertarian, supporting a true free flow of movement internationally, now I have become much more conservative in this matter. What is the opinion of members of this forum? Should private citizens organize? One obstacle I see is the many problems in being armed in Canada. Maybe it could be done unarmed. I do not know.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Non-State border patrols near Osoyoos?

Post by maryjane48 »

Hermes wrote:Arizona has border patrols, like Neighbourhood Watch except to prevent and stop persons crossing illegally (not at border crossing points, without ID and not approved). Does Canada? Problem is, if the RCMP and our Liberal government welcomes illegal crossing into Canada, what is the point? In fact what is the point of having a border? I used to be libertarian, supporting a true free flow of movement internationally, now I have become much more conservative in this matter. What is the opinion of members of this forum? Should private citizens organize? One obstacle I see is the many problems in being armed in Canada. Maybe it could be done unarmed. I do not know.

Um no .if you want that move to texas .
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Hermes wrote:Arizona has border patrols, like Neighbourhood Watch except to prevent and stop persons crossing illegally (not at border crossing points, without ID and not approved). Does Canada? Problem is, if the RCMP and our Liberal government welcomes illegal crossing into Canada, what is the point? In fact what is the point of having a border? I used to be libertarian, supporting a true free flow of movement internationally, now I have become much more conservative in this matter. What is the opinion of members of this forum? Should private citizens organize? One obstacle I see is the many problems in being armed in Canada. Maybe it could be done unarmed. I do not know.

That's a really good question. I know that there have been people caught sneaking over the border near Oroville/Osoyoos. I think the US Border Patrol calls the RCMP, but I'm not sure!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

You could patrol the border and pick up anyone crossing it, and offer to bring them to the nearest open RCMP station to make sure that they are processed more quickly and at the same time it would keep them safe and reduce chance of death. In my opinion, that would be the Canadian solution.

You could also contact CIC to see if you could join up and help with the backlog. Of course that would result in having to go through training, etc.

There are a number of official avenues open to you, but I suspect what you want to do is basically act like a vigilante force, which we could really do without. With these kinds of cases, I would strongly encourage leaving law enforcement to those qualified to do it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We could train Beavers to attack anyone they see crossing without permission.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Trudeau wants the votes. Nothing will be done until we get rid of the little twerp
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

Verum wrote:You could patrol the border and pick up anyone crossing it, and offer to bring them to the nearest open RCMP station to make sure that they are processed more quickly and at the same time it would keep them safe and reduce chance of death. In my opinion, that would be the Canadian solution.

You could also contact CIC to see if you could join up and help with the backlog. Of course that would result in having to go through training, etc.

There are a number of official avenues open to you, but I suspect what you want to do is basically act like a vigilante force, which we could really do without. With these kinds of cases, I would strongly encourage leaving law enforcement to those qualified to do it.

It would indeed be prudent to consult a lawyer and learn what possibilities there are to do such a program legally. My guess is that it is not illegal to physically block a person entering Canada at unauthorized points. How could that be assault? But stranger things have happened in Canada. I am not big on 'let's wait for the government and police to solve every crime problem' approach. Especially since sometimes they are sometimes part of the problem. I see this as primarily a social attitude difference between Canada and USA, differences in popular opinion about the legitimate role of the State.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hermes wrote:
Verum wrote:You could patrol the border and pick up anyone crossing it, and offer to bring them to the nearest open RCMP station to make sure that they are processed more quickly and at the same time it would keep them safe and reduce chance of death. In my opinion, that would be the Canadian solution.

It would indeed be prudent to consult a lawyer and learn what possibilities there are to do such a program legally. My guess is that it is not illegal to physically block a person entering Canada at unauthorized points. How could that be assault? But stranger things have happened in Canada. I am not big on 'let's wait for the government and police to solve every crime problem' approach. Especially since sometimes they are sometimes part of the problem. I see this as primarily a social attitude difference between Canada and USA, differences in popular opinion about the legitimate role of the State.

Deleted by commenter
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

And realistically, where are we going to find a few hundred volunteers to patrol each night. People have been crossing the borders in southern B.C. for decades. How do you think all that great dope from Mexico got into B.C. back in the 60s and 70s.
By the way, the most popular crossings are closer to Bridesville and Midway. So be ready for an hour or two of a commute before you start your nightly patrol.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

I like the sound of this idea - but good luck - it would go against Canadian official insistence on pretending we live in LaLaLand

back in the 80s, because of a series of incidents, some friends organized a volunteer citizen night patrol through City Park Kelowna - so you and i and our daughters could walk through it on a warm summer night without the fear of being molested or harassed by theives, crack heads or drunken fools

It worked great and cost nothing

Not sure who shut 'em down (city or RCMP) but shut down they were.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Is the border near Osoyoos an area of concern for illegal crossings?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

And I think you need to take a trip to Germany and see what that kind of generous policy has resulted in. While I have to commend your humanitarian concerns, you are being naive in thinking that anyone and everyone can bypass a very clear immigration policy by just crossing the border and be put in the same queue with people that actually try to do it legally and properly. There are many hundreds of thousands of people trying to immigrate to Canada. Many of them very skilled and educated. They apply properly.
Most of the people trudging across fields to cross the border are just Donald Trump Haitian refugees and 95% of them are rejected. Why would you want to pick them up and take them to the closest RCMP station to be fed and housed for 6 to 12 months only to be bought a plane ticket back to Haiti at our expense? Would the better thing not be to say to them go back to the US and apply properly rather than give them a ride? They are after all in the US illegally. The reason they are trying to cross into Canada is because they see us a a *bleep* country and they are right. Your position of driving them to the RCMP is counter productive and just encourages more to follow them rather than the message that should flow back to the followers that if you want to get into Canada, apply properly.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

Bunnyhop wrote:Is the border near Osoyoos an area of concern for illegal crossings?

Not close to the border. Too much heat. If you're going to rob a bank, you don't rob the bank next door to the police station, you rob the bank in the middle of nowhere.
Lots on trails across the border north of Chesaw and Molson, bringing you out near Rock Creek and Bridesville.
Of course there are still those who think they can cross right at the border and out-wit the customs types. They are the ones you read about the court reports.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Borders are artificial and archaic. They will become obsolete at some point in the future. Space exploration shows us that. People should be free to adapt and make a life for their family whereever they can.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JLives wrote:Borders are artificial and archaic. They will become obsolete at some point in the future. Space exploration shows us that. People should be free to adapt and make a life for their family whereever they can.

Borders used to provide us with a sense of belonging and a great deal of security. Then came trudeau obama and soros

Return to “South Okanagan”