So this is Christmas

southy
Lord of the Board

So this is Christmas

Post by southy »

A couple years back Naramata Centre was having problems with CUPE workers. Seems to me the final word from the Centre was they were closing forever and the sky was falling. Yet I read the following story
today https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... ream-home/ and go ... soooo they're not closing, never had any intention of closing, it was all part of scripted plan. Gosh darn those folks are good. First get rid of the CUPE employees, cry wolf, then move on. Oh wait, remember that house that was rented out to a struggling mother of two? Made for such a feel good story for the Centre ... well guess what folks, that feel good story has now turned into a feel bad for mother and two kids story. The Centre apparently needs that house for the paid staff they have coming in for the summer. My oh my how things can change when you are big organization like the United Church of Canada. As John Lennon so beautifully said ..... And so this is christmas for weak and for strong the rich and the poor ones the world is so wrong. Shame on you Naramata Centre.
seewood
Guru

Re: So this is Christmas

Post by seewood »

Naramata Center now relies for the most part on voluntary labour to keep the grounds looking somewhat presentable. Several notices a year for "clean-up" parties. Some staff do mow the lawns on occasion.
They are also seriously looking at selling off a portion of the lots they own in the village. Think it was half the area is for sale. Has to be re-zoned for any development other than institutional I believe.
A marked decrease in customers spelled the demise of the place under the old model at about the same time as installing a large outdoor timber frame kitchen/picnic area and building new accommodations.
Think they also put up a couple of refugee families for a while as well.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

seewood wrote:Naramata Center now relies for the most part on voluntary labour to keep the grounds looking somewhat presentable. Several notices a year for "clean-up" parties. Some staff do mow the lawns on occasion.
They are also seriously looking at selling off a portion of the lots they own in the village. Think it was half the area is for sale. Has to be re-zoned for any development other than institutional I believe.
A marked decrease in customers spelled the demise of the place under the old model at about the same time as installing a large outdoor timber frame kitchen/picnic area and building new accommodations.
Think they also put up a couple of refugee families for a while as well.

I noticed on their website that they are now hiring staff including a Centre Manager. Hummm ... wonder what's up with that?
Perhaps its to handle that marked decrease in customers.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

southy wrote: noticed on their website that they are now hiring staff including a Centre Manager. Hummm ... wonder what's up with that?Perhaps its to handle that marked decrease in customers.

I think they like filling the office desks with management and borrow money from the United Church to pay for their wages.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It is their house, so they can choose not to renew the lease. Not at all great for the family that rents it, but they have had four years of stable housing because Naramata Centre opted to rent it to them in the first place.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

..... and the rest of the story reads????
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Piecemaker wrote:It is their house, so they can choose not to renew the lease. Not at all great for the family that rents it, but they have had four years of stable housing because Naramata Centre opted to rent it to them in the first place.

I dunno but the way I read the new NDP legislation is the end of a fixed term lease tenancy is no longer a valid reason for eviction and it just converts to a month to month tenancy. As long as she pays her rent on time, does not damage the property yada yada, they can't kick her out now. All they can do is raise her rent 4% per annum. Maybe somebody should let this lady know?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I believe the article said they wanted the house to use for their staff, which was its purpose when the centre was up and running a few years ago.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Piecemaker wrote:I believe the article said they wanted the house to use for their staff, which was its purpose when the centre was up and running a few years ago.

And this is why I say where is the rest of the story????? Naramata Centre to my knowledge has plenty of accommodation space. Houses, cottages, rooms, etc. etc. Yet for some reason only those drinking the same colored kool aid know why they want this woman out. My opinion based on what I have read from previous threads about his place, is these people (those involved in the Naramata Centre will go to any length to get what they want - ruthless they are in the name of religion) Shameful, utterly shameful. Also I wonder if those staff they are seeking to hire will be asked to pay rent or if they will be given the house as part of their income. If it's the later you can bet your sweet *bleep* that Revenue Canada will want their share. Also Piecemaker, I should add I don't believe Naramata Centre was up and running a few years ago because they were in full bore - let's get CUPE out of here mode. There was that strike ... remember. I recall reading that they played fair in that situation too!! NOT!!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Piecemaker wrote:I believe the article said they wanted the house to use for their staff, which was its purpose when the centre was up and running a few years ago.

But then they chose to create a lease for residential tenancy. Now they should be bound by that definition and subject to current laws.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Twobits - I wonder if their non-profit classification through the United Church changes anything. They seem to play that card at every chance.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I agree with twobits and Southy.

Also, why would a Church based organization kick out a family really in need. Who says the staff have to live in Naramata? They would likely make more money than the family who is in there now. Nobody ever said that Churches have a heart though; guess its optional.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

twobits wrote:I dunno but the way I read the new NDP legislation is the end of a fixed term lease tenancy is no longer a valid reason for eviction and it just converts to a month to month tenancy. As long as she pays her rent on time, does not damage the property yada yada, they can't kick her out now. All they can do is raise her rent 4% per annum. Maybe somebody should let this lady know?

The new legislation was created to stop landlords from raising rent more than allowed amount after end of lease. Renters were being told either sign new lease and agree to rent hike or move. This family is not being asked to leave for that reason. The story doesn't say why the Centre is not wanting to renew their lease with that family.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And of course being the great Christian organization they are - they won't!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

The news story doesn't say why the centre is not renewing the lease.
Let's consider that the centre wants to use the house for legitimate purposes as part of the centre's future operation. Would it have been better for them to leave it empty the past four years and have no one living there that now needs to move, or for a family to have a reasonably priced rental home for four years and now need to move?

Return to “South Okanagan”