Judge Throws Louie a Lifeline....

dle
Lord of the Board

Judge Throws Louie a Lifeline....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214637

Interesting. Here's a fellow who was caught internationally smuggling guns. The answers he gave to the Judge in response to certain questions leave a lot of doubt as to his mental and/or level of intelligence. Either of these two things would appear to make it a bad idea for him to be on the streets again - you know, mixing guns with lack of judgment/mental capacity.

This Judge however, didn't just offer Louie a lifeline to avoid a MINIMUM sentence for gun smuggling, he practically crammed the lifeline down the guys throat by begging him to take it! The Judge's judicial due diligence should have been sufficient with him patiently explaining to Louie if he got a lawyer he could put forth a constitutional challenge and possibly get a lesser sentence. Period.

Why would the Judge be wanting to let this guy back out on the streets to possibly/probably bring more guns to town? He should have been doing everything he could to keep the guy in jail for the minimum (at least) sentence.

Notice I did not, until this second, bring up the fact the fellow is native. That is because to me, it is completely irrelevant. Get caught gun smuggling and I don't care if you are pink with purple polka dots and have ancestry going back to the dinosaur age - we are trying to get guns and crime off the streets, not do everything in our power and more to convince the criminals they can beat the charges if they lawyer up!

See, this is where I get mighty *bleep* at our judicial system. Stop putting the bad guys back on the streets - whose side are you on Judges? Don't dare try to say you are impartial and/or fair because that's a crock of beans! You most definitely lean toward the side of the criminal.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Judge Throws Louie a Lifeline....

Post by Jflem1983 »

I feel our gun laws are a bit much. I wish this fella luck with his challenge.
I hope the NRA backs him and sends some good lawyers up from Fairfax Virginia . With local Canadian council as well paid for him by folks with deep pockets.

To suggest he is not too smart is maybe going a bit too far
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Jflem1983 wrote:I feel our gun laws are a bit much. I wish this fella luck with his challenge.
I hope the NRA backs him and sends some good lawyers up from Fairfax Virginia . With local Canadian council as well paid for him by folks with deep pockets.

Wonder what would happen if a non-native tried to smuggle guns across as this person did? Same end result? I highly doubt that. Rules should apply to everyone, equally. Of course if you don't recognize yourself as a Canadian, then don't use our currency, accept Govt. cheques, etc.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I also would like to see some degree of lightening up our gun laws.
I do not believe smuggling is the way to go about it.
This guy is lying through his teeth, if he did not recognize our laws why did he hide the guns under his car ?
Sounds like another no good criminal trying to find a way out of trouble.
Sentence him to the max.
Black Dogs Matter
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Jflem1983 wrote:I feel our gun laws are a bit much. I wish this fella luck with his challenge.

Well, when I questioned his mental capacity, or his level of intelligence, it came from reading this Louie was unfazed, and this jumping into an incoherent ramble of legal jargon when given the chance to speak, and this “I’m trying to help you, sir,” an exasperated Silverman said, when Louie fired back about the lack a treaty and authority of the court.

If he wasn't a bit challenged in some way I am thinking he would have jumped at the chance to try to lessen or negate his sentence instead of trying the Judge's last nerve - just my opinion. Instead, he rambled on like a stuck record - "incoherently" was one descriptor - and after some serious convincing by the Judge decided he'd talk with some of his "lawyer friends", even though "it was against his principals". Lesson one: never look a gift horse in the mouth....

As far as the gun issue is concerned we would be at swords' points :fence: over that one so how about we just agree to disagree on that subject?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dle wrote:

Well, when I questioned his mental capacity, or his level of intelligence, it came from reading this Louie was unfazed, and this jumping into an incoherent ramble of legal jargon when given the chance to speak, and this “I’m trying to help you, sir,” an exasperated Silverman said, when Louie fired back about the lack a treaty and authority of the court.

If he wasn't a bit challenged in some way I am thinking he would have jumped at the chance to try to lessen or negate his sentence instead of trying the Judge's last nerve - just my opinion. Instead, he rambled on like a stuck record - "incoherently" was one descriptor - and after some serious convincing by the Judge decided he'd talk with some of his "lawyer friends", even though "it was against his principals". Lesson one: never look a gift horse in the mouth....

As far as the gun issue is concerned we would be at swords' points :fence: over that one so how about we just agree to disagree on that subject?

Part of me thinks this guy is gaming the system. If he wins a constitutional challenge that could be good going forward for gun rights.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Jflem1983 wrote:Part of me thinks this guy is gaming the system. If he wins a constitutional challenge that could be good going forward for gun rights.

You fool. If he wins, only FN's will be able to carry guns where ever they want....even across International borders. The rest of us will be subject to the reasonable laws that exist. Do you not see that outcome or are you just naive? For the dyslexic, that was naive not native.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

twobits wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Part of me thinks this guy is gaming the system. If he wins a constitutional challenge that could be good going forward for gun rights.

You fool. If he wins, only FN's will be able to carry guns where ever they want....even across International borders. The rest of us will be subject to the reasonable laws that exist. Do you not see that outcome or are you just naive? For the dyslexic, that was naive not native.

I dont think it will be a two tier law. We shall see. I feel the law if challenged and defeated will be the same for all. Pistols for everyone .

dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

1) Two-bits: For the dyslexic, that was naive not native - liked your clever play on words there (I'm probably in some kind of trouble for liking it but I guess I'm going to throw caution to the windsl!)

2) Jflem1983: Pistols for everyone - bad idea.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dle wrote:1) Two-bits: For the dyslexic, that was naive not native - liked your clever play on words there (I'm probably in some kind of trouble for liking it but I guess I'm going to throw caution to the windsl!)

Crooks all got em now. Only ppl who dont are the working poor. Might as well just have everybody pack a gun. Every day there are robberies in Kelowna

dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Jflem1983 wrote:
dle wrote:1) Two-bits: For the dyslexic, that was naive not native - liked your clever play on words there (I'm probably in some kind of trouble for liking it but I guess I'm going to throw caution to the windsl!)

Crooks all got em now. Only ppl who dont are the working poor. Might as well just have everybody pack a gun. Every day there are robberies in Kelowna

I hear that, but my suggestion is for the cops to arrest them (when they find them), charge them, and for the Judges to do THEIR part and put them in the hoosegow when it gets to Court instead of just wasting the cops' time and infuriating us, by letting them go with a warning. I'm tired of that bullpucky. Not enough jails? Build more? Not enough court time? Set up another level so Masters or Justices of the Peace can try these yahoos and lock their sorry arses up. Am I being a meany? Tough noogies. Had my stuff taken too many times, friends hurt badly in home invasions, etc etc to put up with any more of the bs that is loosely (by me) called the Canadian Justice System.

Return to “South Okanagan”