Shame on Them

twobits
Guru

Re: Shame on Them

Post by twobits »

maryjane48 wrote:I know how it works . Im talking about the person who started this thread and his posse .they brag about how rich they are . But my point stands .the spca doesnt have to offer anything.

You're right, they don't have to offer anything. But is it not curious that a vet clinic operated by the SPCA charges so much more for spay/neuter than private clinics when their mantra, and correctly so, promotes spay/neuter. Common sense tells me if they want people to spay/neuter their pets, they would do so at the very least at a cost comparable to that available in private vet clinics to provide revenue to operate their facility. If I could get the job done at the SPCA clinic for the same price, I would do so in knowing that I am supporting the SPCA and the cost of subsidized procedures for those that can't pay the full pull of real costs.
They want me to pay two to three times the cost.....then I go elsewhere and their revenue takes a hit and no one gets a subsidy.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

maryjane48 wrote:Again its not spca fault that folks get pets then expect cheap services .im not rich and i saved get my cat fixed . Anyhoo where i live the spca has it set up at bottle depost to give you emptys to spca
Pentictan should look into that .

And judging from your posts, you should have one heck of a credit balance in empty's at your local SPCA for your spay/neuter needs.
Here in Penticton, we have an SPCA operating a high end clinic complete with potentially a CT scanner the previous Vet owner advertised. For lord's sake, humans wait months for a CT scan. They have no business being involved in that kind of business, or it's operating costs, that would take 4 to 5 thousand beer bottles to pay for a spay/neuter.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Paid 500 or so to spay each of mine. Wish i knew i could have paid a lot less.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Jflem1983 wrote:Paid 500 or so to spay each of mine. Wish i knew i could have paid a lot less.

Live and learn and price shop just like you do for a new TV. Too many just assume any professional service will cost the same. That goes from Vet to Dentist.

Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Anonymous123 wrote:At first I thought that my vision was failing, so I had my significant other double check for me. It's true and shame on the SPCA in Penticton. I was under the assumption that the facility they use was donated to the SPCA by a retiring veterinarian. This is a "non-profit" society that urges everyone to spay/neuter your pet. What a joke!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/214902/Pricey-to-own-Penticton-pets

I don't think the facility was "donated" to them by the previous vet, as he is now practicing somewhere in Texas. Pretty sure he had to leave town. His practice wasn't that outstanding. I know a few people that had gone to him and ended up in court in a long line of people. Having said that, the BCSPCA, I thought had taken the facility over to offer services to the SPCA and to people who were adopting for the first time. We have an excellent Vet in Penticton, and aren't looking to change though.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

We recently had our dog euthanized at the SPCA clinic. All I can say is they were more professional than some of the other vet offices I've been in and that was just my initial inquiry. The day of, each and every staff member showed genuine empathy towards my situation. The young vet was amazing and helped me through a very difficult time. Cost was not even an issue. And by no means did I think it was out of line. Nothing but positives for this facility it's staff.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

In the larger picture, isn't their some potential for damage to the SPCA's reputation here? For an organization that depends on community support and (I assume)) government grants shouldn't the optics of purchasing a high end property and charging rates far above the market norm be some concern? twobits touched on this, and I agree that it's a concern.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

oneh2obabe wrote:
onestop67 wrote:Exactly. SPCA is a non profit meant to take care of abused and abandoned animals. It's not a place to take your personally owned animals. If you can't afford to take care of your pet, then don't have one. If vet #1 wants $400 to spay and vet #2 wants $80, go to vet #2...

The program offered by certain shelters doesn't include them spaying/neutering - it offers a discount to low-income individuals who may need some help in making sure their pets are healthy and don't contribute to the over population problem.

Adopted a 4-month old pup from the Penticton SPCA 11 years ago and took him to my vet for neutering. Total cost with blood work, pain meds, 1st shots and check-up was just under $400.00. When I signed the adoption papers the shelter offered me a $50 voucher to help defray the cost of the check-up but I told them to keep it - didn't need it.

Got a couple of 3-month old kittens from a friend in Vernon and took them to the vet for their 1st shots, check-up and spaying. Total cost for both was just under $850.

Are my pets worth the money spent? Damn straight they are!

Not sure why you are quoting me. I know everything you have said. My point was that if you own a pet, or adopt a pet, why would you think that you can then take it to the SPCA for free care?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Have never taken any of my pets to the SPCA for free care. When I've adopted from the SPCA or rescued a dog/cat from an abusive/absent owner, the 1st call when I get home is to my vet for a checkup, shots if needed and a spay/neuter if required.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “South Okanagan”