Shame on Them

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Shame on Them

Post by Anonymous123 »

At first I thought that my vision was failing, so I had my significant other double check for me. It's true and shame on the SPCA in Penticton. I was under the assumption that the facility they use was donated to the SPCA by a retiring veterinarian. This is a "non-profit" society that urges everyone to spay/neuter your pet. What a joke!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/214902/Pricey-to-own-Penticton-pets
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Shame on Them

Post by oneh2obabe »

Certain BCSPCA facilities offer a low-income spay/neuter program. Just checked the web site and lo and behold, Penticton isn't on the list. Went with a friend to the Kelowna office where she filled out the forms then back to pick up the certificates once she was approved. If I remember correctly she was told your income had to be $30-32K or less. When she picked up the certificates she also received a list of vets in the area who are part of the program. She took the cats to the vet and it cost her $42.50 each to have them neutered. The vet returns the certificate to the SPCA and gets reimbursed the full amount less the certificate amount.

https://spca.bc.ca/programs-services/co ... -programs/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Anonymous123 wrote:At first I thought that my vision was failing, so I had my significant other double check for me. It's true and shame on the SPCA in Penticton. I was under the assumption that the facility they use was donated to the SPCA by a retiring veterinarian. This is a "non-profit" society that urges everyone to spay/neuter your pet. What a joke!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/214902/Pricey-to-own-Penticton-pets

This shocked me as well. The first thought that came to my mind was the need to pay for the fancy Adobe Style Vet clinic they bought at the corner of Main and Duncan. Seems to me to be a bit of largess for a non profit that has been begging for donations. They then want to charge 400 to 600 for a spay or neuter when it is offered for 25% of that at vet offices in Kelowna????? Something smells like dog crap here to me.

Also notice Penticton's absence in this link to subsidized services.

And then this line from that link...
Communities: Not on this list? No longer have funds available for this purpose? Contact [email protected] to have your organization or program added or removed.

Could funds no longer be available cuz our local SPCA bought a 1.5 million dollar vet clinic and have to pay for it now? Even if it were donated, the operating costs of such a facility would be enormous and I would suggest way beyond the mandate of a non profit society.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

It isnt up to any bcspca,to supply cheap neutering or spaying .is therexreally that many self absorbded folks in that town ? Sounds like bunch of kardashians wanting something for free
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

maryjane48 wrote:It isnt up to any bcspca,to supply cheap neutering or spaying .is therexreally that many self absorbded folks in that town ? Sounds like bunch of kardashians wanting something for free

Actually everyone in Penticton is saving up to get you a spellchecker.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

maryjane48 wrote:It isnt up to any bcspca,to supply cheap neutering or spaying .is therexreally that many self absorbded folks in that town ? Sounds like bunch of kardashians wanting something for free

What part of low-income program don't you understand? The program isn't offered to every "self-absorbed folks in that town". It's offered to individuals or families who aren't rolling in dough and know it's better to have their pets spayed or neutered rather than adding to the pet over population problem.

My friend had to supply a copy of her tax assessment when she filled out the application form. And don't worry about showing the complete assessment - you blank out everything except your name and total income.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I know how it works . Im talking about the person who started this thread and his posse .they brag about how rich they are . But my point stands .the spca doesnt have to offer anything. But looking after the animals they have and investigating animal abuse .

Maybe the rich folk there should step up and donate more
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/community/spca-takes-ownership-of-penticton-vet-clinic/

“This is a community hospital they (SPCA) are taking over. It’s not about professionals cashing in, it’s about serving the community. It’s not a cash cow, it’s a service and I feel very strong about that.”............

Under terms of the agreement the hospital will retain existing staff and offer the same services to the public, including boarding of animals.

There are additional plans in the future to expand spaying/neuter services as well as providing badly needed after-hours coverage at the hospital.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

maryjane48 wrote:I know how it works . Im talking about the person who started this thread and his posse .they brag about how rich they are . But my point stands .the spca doesnt have to offer anything. But looking after the animals they have and investigating animal abuse .

There are 4 kittens (2 female, 2 male) on their website which will have to be spayed/neutered before adoption. The average litter size is 4-6 kittens which means if the 2 female kittens aren't fixed there is the possibility of 8-12 kittens born and surrendered to the local shelter.

By offering the spay/neuter program the shelters saves BIG BUCKS by not having tons of kittens born and surrendered for them to shelter, feed, socialize and spay/neuter. Let's assume it costs the Penticton SPCA $150 to spay/neuter the female kittens, the cost would be $300. If those cats were owned by folks who couldn't afford to spay/neuter and allowed the cats to breed resulting in 8-12 kittens which are surrendered, the cost to the shelter increases to $1,200 for 8 kittens and $1,800 for 12.

Pretty sure the $900 - $1,500 saved would be put to good use by the shelter for food, medical issues, investigations and so on.

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Again its not spca fault that folks get pets then expect cheap services .im not rich and i saved get my cat fixed . Anyhoo where i live the spca has it set up at bottle depost to give you emptys to spca
Pentictan should look into that .
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

maryjane48 wrote:I know how it works . Im talking about the person who started this thread and his posse .they brag about how rich they are . But my point stands .the spca doesnt have to offer anything. But looking after the animals they have and investigating animal abuse .

I started this thread, I don't have a "posse" and have never once "bragged" about how rich I am. I'm not, believe me. Early on I took a vow of poverty and chose to stay in the Okanagan.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Cool never met a buddest monk before .but my point is thus. Trying to drag the spca through the mud. Wont solve your issue.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Certain BCSPCA facilities offer a low-income spay/neuter program. Went with a friend to the Kelowna office where she filled out the forms then back to pick up the certificates once she was approved. If I remember correctly she was told your income had to be $30-32K or less. She took the cats to the vet and it cost her $42.50 each to have them neutered. The vet returns the certificate to the SPCA and gets reimbursed the full amount less the certificate amount.

Exactly. SPCA is a non profit meant to take care of abused and abandoned animals. It's not a place to take your personally owned animals. If you can't afford to take care of your pet, then don't have one. If vet #1 wants $400 to spay and vet #2 wants $80, go to vet #2...
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

This is not about being subsidized. It's about charging more than other vets for the same service. This is a Society that promotes spaying and neutering pets, yet charges more than other facilities.

This morning, the Penticton SPCA quoted $414 as the average cost to spay a cat at their facility, and depending on the weight of the animal, around $586 for a mid-sized dog.

Neutering costs are slightly less, as it is a less invasive surgery.

The facility says its prices reflect the cost of anaesthetic and man hours.

Kelowna's Alpine Pet Hospital's prices, however, are less than half that, at roughly $120 to spay a cat and $175 for an average-sized dog.

Penticton's Anderson Veterinary Clinic averages $280 to spay a cat and $312-360 to spay a dog, still significantly more than Kelowna for the same procedure.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

onestop67 wrote:Exactly. SPCA is a non profit meant to take care of abused and abandoned animals. It's not a place to take your personally owned animals. If you can't afford to take care of your p-mt, then don't have one. If vet #1 wants $400 to spay and vet #2 wants $80, go to vet #2...

The program offered by certain shelters doesn't include them spaying/neutering - it offers a discount to low-income individuals who may need some help in making sure their pets are healthy and don't contribute to the over population problem.

Adopted a 4-month old pup from the Penticton SPCA 11 years ago and took him to my vet for neutering. Total cost with blood work, pain meds, 1st shots and check-up was just under $400.00. When I signed the adoption papers the shelter offered me a $50 voucher to help defray the cost of the check-up but I told them to keep it - didn't need it.

Got a couple of 3-month old kittens from a friend in Vernon and took them to the vet for their 1st shots, check-up and spaying. Total cost for both was just under $850.

Are my pets worth the money spent? Damn straight they are!

Return to “South Okanagan”