Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

Triple 6

Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

Post by Triple 6 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... aw-tickets

The arraignment for a well-known Penticton panhandler has been postponed for two more weeks.

Paul Varga, the lawyer defending Paul Braun said the City of Penticton hasn’t disclosed all the evidence against his client.

“I’d love to deal with the arraignment hearing right now but we don’t have all the information yet. The city’s got a huge file against Mr. Braun and we want all of it.”

Paul Braun has received eight tickets from bylaw officers last year for obstructing a breezeway in Penticton's downtown.

Varga alleged that the city’s bylaw department was writing those tickets against Braun before they actually visited him at the breezeway.

"That’s a bit troubling if that’s actually the case. So I want to see that (evidence) first, before we actually rush Mr. Braun, forcing him to make a plea that he may or may not want to make, before we’ve seen all the evidence against him."

The City of Penticton’s lawyer Troy DeSouza argued there has been substantial time for disclosure of evidence to Braun and his lawyer.

He said documents were provided to Braun directly on November 20th and letters were delivered to his lawyer more than a week ago.

"In our view… certainly all the evidence that is there has been provided to Mr. Varga."

The arraignment will take place on Jan. 25, where Braun is expected to plea either guilty or not guilty for his infractions.

DeSouza said he thinks the City has made it clear what they are asking from Braun.

“It's not about panhandling, it's not about homelessness... We’re not here seeking money, we’re just seeking compliance that’s applied, and applicable, to every person in the community.”

For Varga, however, he feels the City may have waged an unfair battle against his client.

"I've seen him just struggle with life, and right now we've got a situation where the municipal government is spending a whole lot of resources against Mr. Braun, and he has no resources of his own to fight back with."
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Re: Pre-written by law tickets

Post by Triple 6 »

what a waste of court time / costs. How the heck is this man to pay said fines. Ugh. I hate stupid people.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Pre-written by law tickerts

Post by dogspoiler »

If the loser wasn't blocking walkways and annoying people he would not be getting tickets.
Black Dogs Matter
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

dogspoiler wrote:If the loser wasn't blocking walkways and annoying people he would not be getting tickets.

Hummm ... not quite sure how to respond. Ahh let's start by saying ... nahh that'll get me deleted. :cuss: people can be ignorant.
Last edited by southy on Jan 11th, 2018, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

dogspoiler wrote:If the loser wasn't blocking walkways and annoying people he would not be getting tickets.

I'm not downtown everyday, but I've never been annoyed by him, or noticed him blocking walkways.

He has a spot, no denying that, but he's really no harm and if you took a moment to talk with him I think you'd notice he's really quite lucid. Frankly, I don't understand why he's the focus of so much attention. There's certainly more difficult personalities one can encounter on main street. (Main street, any town - in my experience.)

(insert headshake smiley here)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Where is Mr. Braun finding his legal fees? In the photo, he appears to be a senior. If his OAS and CPP is enough to cover the cost of hiring a lawyer, it stands to reason that those pensions could also cover the costs of food and shelter.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Cactusflower wrote:Where is Mr. Braun finding his legal fees? In the photo, he appears to be a senior. If his OAS and CPP is enough to cover the cost of hiring a lawyer, it stands to reason that those pensions could also cover the costs of food and shelter.

My guess is legal aid. If hes homeless he would qualify in seconds.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Where is Mr. Braun finding his legal fees? In the photo, he appears to be a senior. If his OAS and CPP is enough to cover the cost of hiring a lawyer, it stands to reason that those pensions could also cover the costs of food and shelter.

Paul Varga is representing Paul Braun pro bono (no charge).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

It will be interesting to find out if these pre-written tickets actually had Paul's name on them. If they did not, I doubt there is a case. Often times in Summer the Fuzz pre-write tickets that they know are going to be handed out in droves (ie: no bike helmets) to save time when they are on a long weekend blitz. It may not be right but thats how its done sometimes.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Fuzz?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Derogatory term used decades ago.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A really old term. lol

Many moons ago the meter maids used to go around in New Westminster and when they saw a meter ready to expire they would start writing the ticket and put it on the car as the meter expired.
If you got to your car before it expired and drove away they had to explain to their bosses why and they got in trouble for doing it.
I managed that once and loved the look on her face as I drove away.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Anonymous123 wrote:Fuzz?

Sorry, I should have said: "Coppers or Bobbies".
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Anonymous123 wrote:Fuzz?

You've never been picked up by the Fuzz ?
Black Dogs Matter
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

What is more repugnant than anything to me in this whole fiasco is the City of utilizing a lawyer from Victoria to litigate bylaw tickets. What do you suppose that costs? Is there not an articling student at a local law firm that might be able to handle a bylaw ticket????
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”