Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Pre-written by law tickets

Post by southy »

Probably is, however, city hall really doesn't want to lose another court case I'm sure. Yet ya know ... something tells me they might not win this one either. I wonder just how much that Victoria sharp shooter is charging? Also wonder who was involved in the meeting that decided to hire this lawyer? I would assume The Weeb, Mayor Jak, council, legal advisor? Would be interesting to find out.

On a side note, can you imagine for a moment working within the confines of city hall and having the opportunity to be part of these happenings on a daily basis? One cannot buy that kind of experience. [icon_lol2.gif]
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

twobits wrote:What is more repugnant than anything to me in this whole fiasco is the City of utilizing a lawyer from Victoria to litigate bylaw tickets. What do you suppose that costs? Is there not an articling student at a local law firm that might be able to handle a bylaw ticket????

Isn't it amazing the trouble and expense incurred by a derelict bum blocking a walkway ? Turn a hose on him and be done with it.
Black Dogs Matter
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

What I find interesting doggie is that you seem to have a real problem with the homeless. I've seen it in some of your other posts. Curious .. What's the deal with that?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I didn't use the term homeless anywhere nor do I think it is relevant. This fellow has collected 8 tickets for the same offence in one year, now the city has to pay their lawyer to go to court because this non productive lawbreaker will not follow the same rules as everyone else.
Last edited by dogspoiler on Jan 14th, 2018, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dogs Matter
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dogspoiler wrote:I did use the term homeless anywhere nor do I think it is relevant. This fellow has collected 8 tickets for the same offence in one year, now the city has to pay their lawyer to go to court because this non productive lawbreaker will not follow the same rules as everyone else.

Meh. At least 2 thirds of the problem is that the city is enforcing a law it can not hold. I do not agree with thos transient but i know the city will lose in court. So what does a person do.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

% 100 percent is caused by this fellow breaking the law. If he had not broken the law there would not have been tickets issued or lawyers involved.
Black Dogs Matter
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

All I see is a complete waste of resources on all sides. The City should be spanked for engaging a 350hr lawyer from Victoria to litigate bylaw ticket enforcement, the squatter should get off the notion of his right to loiter wherever he wants when he wants given that he is already a gov't funded dependant and should maybe appreciate what he already gets for nothing no matter how inadequate it is or he thinks it is for the effort he puts out in solving his own dependency issues....which BTW, would be funded by the taxpayer if he chose to pursue them. Instead he parks his *bleep* in the same spot day after day despite being respectfully told that there have been countless complaints about his presence by the very local businesses that actually do pay taxes and have some rights as well. Mr Braun hasn't paid a nickel in taxes in years yet somehow his right to occupy whatever spot he wants to claim as his right supersedes the right of the adjacent property owners?? And then walks in Mr Varga stoking this guys notion that he has a right to flout the laws and he will do it for free. I have to believe that Mr Varga has coucilled his pro bono client to remain at the same spot but to not to actively or obviously panhandle so the argument can be made that it is not a panhandling or loitering bylaw breach, but rather an attempt to prevent free association under constitutional rights. A position I see as being consistent with his apparent left leaning views. Mr Varga's wasted resources in pro bono time would be better spent on his client directly for his needs instead of encouraging him to remain on his perch which will do nothing to improve his clients outcome in life except to enable Paul to stay and one day in the not too distant future, probably get loaded into a body bag from this spot.
I would hope that Mr Varga would also then step up and pay for a funeral for Paul "pro bono".
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Yup
Black Dogs Matter
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I dont really understand why Mr Varga hasn’t offered Mr Braun a seat beside the doorway to HIS place of business. Maybe set out a nice chair, and a heater, and maybe even bring out a sandwich at lunch time. Or would that just encourage loitering?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Bunnyhop wrote:I dont really understand why Mr Varga hasn’t offered Mr Braun a seat beside the doorway to HIS place of business. Maybe set out a nice chair, and a heater, and maybe even bring out a sandwich at lunch time. Or would that just encourage loitering?

Speaking of loitering and I'll probably get banished for this one, but can anyone tell me if a certain religious sect that usually has two individuals complete with book stand out in front of the TD Bank in the 300 block on a daily basis has a license to do this? Have they ever been told by City Bylaw to move on? I actually find them more annoying than Paul. Yet this is ok?

And really Bunnyhop, if the city hadn't singled out Paul and did a downtown sweep of people they seem to think are problematic we wouldn't be having this conversation. And the city in all likelihood wouldn't be spending money with a Victoria lawyer.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:
Bunnyhop wrote:I dont really understand why Mr Varga hasn’t offered Mr Braun a seat beside the doorway to HIS place of business. Maybe set out a nice chair, and a heater, and maybe even bring out a sandwich at lunch time. Or would that just encourage loitering?

Speaking of loitering and I'll probably get banished for this one, but can anyone tell me if a certain religious sect that usually has two individuals complete with book stand out in front of the TD Bank in the 300 block on a daily basis has a license to do this? Have they ever been told by City Bylaw to move on? I actually find them more annoying than Paul. Yet this is ok?

And really Bunnyhop, if the city hadn't singled out Paul and did a downtown sweep of people they seem to think are problematic we wouldn't be having this conversation. And the city in all likelihood wouldn't be spending money with a Victoria lawyer.

I have never found Mr. Braun to be annoying; no threat at all, not like some of the riff-raff that you see in other parts of the city. I would agree re the religious sect; they often stand on the lakeshore walkway as well, trying to peddle their beliefs. Whenever they come to my door, I tell them that they must have a business license or I won't talk to them; that drives them nuts and they go away. Perhaps Bylaw should be approaching these folks and moving them along.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:Speaking of loitering and I'll probably get banished for this one, but can anyone tell me if a certain religious sect that usually has two individuals complete with book stand out in front of the TD Bank in the 300 block on a daily basis has a license to do this?

Do they need a licence if they're not impeding or bothering anyone?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Well Fancy, I suppose the same could be said about Paul. Is he impeding or bothering anyone? Answer? NO!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:Well Fancy, I suppose the same could be said about Paul. Is he impeding or bothering anyone? Answer? NO!!

Apparently the answer is yes if he is panhandling and bylaws are complaint driven so I would suspect there have been complaints.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Fancy wrote:Apparently the answer is yes if he is panhandling and bylaws are complaint driven so I would suspect there have been complaints.

Perhaps Paul should hold up a religious brochure; that should apparently protect him from Bylaw prosecutions. Bylaw wouldn't dare touch freedom of religious rights. There could be a bylaw, however against loitering and if so, it should be applicable to everyone.

Return to “South Okanagan”