New hotel in Oliver

twobits
Guru

Re: New hotel in Oliver

Post by twobits »

Cactusflower wrote:I don't think you know the definition of the word "development". This hotel does not qualify. The land was developed many years ago and was home to another business, an RV Park. Then someone came along, bought the RV Park and decided to get rid of all the RVs and build a hotel on the property. A 'development' is when someone buys raw land and decides to build something on it.

And I don't think you know the definition of development either. A RV park is being developed into a Hotel that can be utilized year round and provide jobs year round. Someone is putting down millions of dollars to do it too.
But you don't like the design of their choice so you poo poo it and say it does not qualify. Please enlighten all of us Castanet readers on your building design credentials as well as the last time you have invested any money beyond the groceries you put into your own mouth to create any employment in Oliver? I am willing to bet the two nickels you have to rub together have been spent on something for yourself rather than create economy and jobs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

All of this just because of a breezeway alteration?

The developer of a new Coast hotel being built in Oliver wants to stray from the original plan for the entrance canopy in front of the building, but they may not be granted permission from the town's council members.

Mundi Hotels proposed to alter the timber-frame canopy to a steel-frame canopy, which would require council members to amend part the town centre development permit.

AND it still will not change the completion or development approval. The hotel is almost finished already, it's just a matter of mascara and what shade of lipstick.

Hovanes noted the holdup to make a decision won't impact the hotel's construction deadline, which is slated to open late in the spring.

Capture.JPG

Wood frame.

OR

Capture2.JPG

Steel frame.

I like the wood one better. But who really cares what my opinion is?
Bring back the LIKE button.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

alanjh595 wrote:I the wood one better.

So do I. The steel one has all the personality of a carport. I wonder if it’s a money thing? I think steel comes quite a bit cheaper than heavy timber.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

fluffy wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:I the wood one better.

So do I. The steel one has all the personality of a carport. I wonder if it’s a money thing? I think steel comes quite a bit cheaper than heavy timber.

Probably, also easier to maintain.
Bring back the LIKE button.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Plus the fact that the change is coming so late in the job, after most of the numbers are in, is somewhat suspect as well.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dirtbiker

Post by dirtbiker »

Looks like once they added up the total costs once again they realized they will have too much capital into the project, and thought they could change an approved design to save money. The wood design looks so much better than the proposed steel design.

Return to “South Okanagan”