Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

Re: Its official city has no war on the homeless!

Postby southy » Feb 2nd, 2018, 11:02 pm

Something wrong with social justice?
southy
Übergod

Liked in: 533 posts

Re: Its official city has no war on the homeless!

Postby twobits » Feb 3rd, 2018, 7:31 pm

southy wrote:Something wrong with social justice?

Nothing wrong with social justice southy. What is wrong is people like Varga making it a media circus event. All one need's to ask is could Varga have represented him pro bono without the self serving media play? Could he not have said to Paul...."I will defend your bylaw tickets in court". Why did he have to do a sit in and inflame the situation in the media if it were not for self interest?
Varga is pretty much an ambulance chaser southy.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 2643 posts

City Blasts Panhandler

Postby fz6adventure » May 4th, 2018, 6:15 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... panhandler

Seriously? How does one derive that a fellow sitting on a sidewalk means that there is a grave risk to safety that would justify sending a person to jail for sitting on a sidewalk?

A little heavy handed by the City!
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Liked in: 456 posts

Re: City Blasts Panhandler

Postby vegas1500 » May 4th, 2018, 6:45 am

I agree its not a grave risk but sure wouldnt want him out front or near my business for 4 days, let alone 4 years.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1329 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » May 4th, 2018, 6:45 am

Honestly. 88 bucks. He should pay it and shut up. Dont break the law if you dont want a fine. From what i gather. This guy had a job . A union job i believe. Then decided he was too good to work. So in the doorway of some one elses business he begs. Well i dont think it is unreasonable to ask him to move along ? If the situation were different. Maybe my opinion would change. As i understand this though the City of Penticton has bent over forwards backwards and to both sides for this guy. He on the other hand hasnt budged an inch.

Im curious to know if there isnt maybe some health issues at play ?

Also. To the safety aspect. Its negligable at best. I do see a sliver of an argument that hes blocking a fire escape . Other than that ya right.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2156 posts

Postby Fancy » May 4th, 2018, 6:45 am

Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 5770 posts

Postby rustled » May 4th, 2018, 8:57 am

I agree with this:
“If the city cannot establish control of its downtown sidewalks around a simple 10 metre breezeway, we will not be successful in addressing other more serious issues,” city lawyer Troy De Souza said in a statement.

How many people ignoring bylaws does it take before we have a significant problem?

Does Varga expect the city to wait until there are, say, four panhandlers to a block, or until the city staff is dealing with, say, ten complaints per day, before they act? Would he then be claiming there was "precedent" to allow panhandling wherever and whenever, since the city had failed to enforce their own bylaws, and defend the panhandlers' rights to break the bylaw on that basis?

I'm not surprised he is "gobsmacked" the city released this information. It certainly does his client no good for the general public to understand just how far the city went to keep this out of court, while his client persisted in breaking the bylaw.

IMO, Varga does himself, and the rest of us, quite a disservice here.

6 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 5533 posts

Re: Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

Postby common_sense_guy » May 5th, 2018, 12:52 pm

A lawyer is supposed to look out for his client's best interest. If the lawyer actually is he will inform his client to pay the $88 fine to be done with it. If he doesn't he is just a media *bleep* looking for attention and not doing what's best for his client
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

Jflem1983 likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 108 posts

Postby RupertBear » May 6th, 2018, 9:41 am

The longer this goes on, the more I am convinced that Varga is in this for Varga and no one else.

2 people like this post.
RupertBear
Fledgling

Liked in: 341 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » May 6th, 2018, 10:39 am

If the guy was smart hed go camp at a starbucks. They pay good for stuff like this .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2156 posts

Postby CTF » May 7th, 2018, 12:33 pm

I full support the City on this one. There are locations where one can legally panhandle and this individual refuses to occupy them instead insisting on a location that is against the City by-law. What next can I go and park in a non-parking zone simply because I feel entitled to park there? A City needs to be able to enforce it's bylaws otherwise they become meaningless.
CTF
Fledgling

Liked in: 29 posts

Postby soupy » May 7th, 2018, 1:24 pm

CTF wrote:I full support the City on this one. There are locations where one can legally panhandle and this individual refuses to occupy them instead insisting on a location that is against the City by-law. What next can I go and park in a non-parking zone simply because I feel entitled to park there? A City needs to be able to enforce it's bylaws otherwise they become meaningless.

100% agree. Very sad if it does go all the way to the Courts for this issue. But if it does, i sure hope they maintain the max fines and follow through with jail-time if he cannot pay.
soupy

Liked in: 78 posts

Postby twobits » May 7th, 2018, 7:15 pm

And I say too bad the City can't send the whole bill......from tickets, to bylaw staff time and wages, City staff time and wages, and lawyer time and wages where it belongs. Mr Varga.
This is not a pro bono case for a valid social justice cause. Mr Varga is no different IMO than a face masked anarchist throwing rocks thru the windows of establishment. Instead of a mask, Mr Varga hides behind a law degree and thinks that makes his anarchism OK. Pure Narcissist.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 2643 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan