Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Its official city has no war on the homeless!

Post by southy »

Something wrong with social justice?
twobits
Guru

Re: Its official city has no war on the homeless!

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Something wrong with social justice?

Nothing wrong with social justice southy. What is wrong is people like Varga making it a media circus event. All one need's to ask is could Varga have represented him pro bono without the self serving media play? Could he not have said to Paul...."I will defend your bylaw tickets in court". Why did he have to do a sit in and inflame the situation in the media if it were not for self interest?
Varga is pretty much an ambulance chaser southy.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

City Blasts Panhandler

Post by fz6adventure »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... panhandler

Seriously? How does one derive that a fellow sitting on a sidewalk means that there is a grave risk to safety that would justify sending a person to jail for sitting on a sidewalk?

A little heavy handed by the City!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: City Blasts Panhandler

Post by vegas1500 »

I agree its not a grave risk but sure wouldnt want him out front or near my business for 4 days, let alone 4 years.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Honestly. 88 bucks. He should pay it and shut up. Dont break the law if you dont want a fine. From what i gather. This guy had a job . A union job i believe. Then decided he was too good to work. So in the doorway of some one elses business he begs. Well i dont think it is unreasonable to ask him to move along ? If the situation were different. Maybe my opinion would change. As i understand this though the City of Penticton has bent over forwards backwards and to both sides for this guy. He on the other hand hasnt budged an inch.

Im curious to know if there isnt maybe some health issues at play ?

Also. To the safety aspect. Its negligable at best. I do see a sliver of an argument that hes blocking a fire escape . Other than that ya right.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I agree with this:
“If the city cannot establish control of its downtown sidewalks around a simple 10 metre breezeway, we will not be successful in addressing other more serious issues,” city lawyer Troy De Souza said in a statement.

How many people ignoring bylaws does it take before we have a significant problem?

Does Varga expect the city to wait until there are, say, four panhandlers to a block, or until the city staff is dealing with, say, ten complaints per day, before they act? Would he then be claiming there was "precedent" to allow panhandling wherever and whenever, since the city had failed to enforce their own bylaws, and defend the panhandlers' rights to break the bylaw on that basis?

I'm not surprised he is "gobsmacked" the city released this information. It certainly does his client no good for the general public to understand just how far the city went to keep this out of court, while his client persisted in breaking the bylaw.

IMO, Varga does himself, and the rest of us, quite a disservice here.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Pre-written by law tickets/Paul Varga

Post by common_sense_guy »

A lawyer is supposed to look out for his client's best interest. If the lawyer actually is he will inform his client to pay the $88 fine to be done with it. If he doesn't he is just a media *bleep* looking for attention and not doing what's best for his client
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

The longer this goes on, the more I am convinced that Varga is in this for Varga and no one else.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

If the guy was smart hed go camp at a starbucks. They pay good for stuff like this .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I full support the City on this one. There are locations where one can legally panhandle and this individual refuses to occupy them instead insisting on a location that is against the City by-law. What next can I go and park in a non-parking zone simply because I feel entitled to park there? A City needs to be able to enforce it's bylaws otherwise they become meaningless.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

CTF wrote:I full support the City on this one. There are locations where one can legally panhandle and this individual refuses to occupy them instead insisting on a location that is against the City by-law. What next can I go and park in a non-parking zone simply because I feel entitled to park there? A City needs to be able to enforce it's bylaws otherwise they become meaningless.

100% agree. Very sad if it does go all the way to the Courts for this issue. But if it does, i sure hope they maintain the max fines and follow through with jail-time if he cannot pay.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

And I say too bad the City can't send the whole bill......from tickets, to bylaw staff time and wages, City staff time and wages, and lawyer time and wages where it belongs. Mr Varga.
This is not a pro bono case for a valid social justice cause. Mr Varga is no different IMO than a face masked anarchist throwing rocks thru the windows of establishment. Instead of a mask, Mr Varga hides behind a law degree and thinks that makes his anarchism OK. Pure Narcissist.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

And he’s back, flaunting the bylaws by working around them. What a waste of money this exercise was.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/265785/Paul-back-at-the-breezeway
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

This is my opinion and I don't care what anyone else thinks. Paul is a piece of crap and a useless part of society when he can't follow the rules that are out there for everybody. His lawyer is no better of a human being because like other said and I agree he was only in it for the media attention. Paul Braun has no respect for any of you Pentictonites and I don't think any of you should show him any respect.. if I visit Penticton again and see him out there I will give him an honest piece of my mind as well as I wish everybody in Penticton that disagrees with his panhandling against by law go out of their way to tell him what they think of him as well. I applaud the city for trying to do what they can out of principle not how many dollars and cents it cost them to pursue the matter. It's your downtown core stand up for it against the drug addicts and the panhandlers. It all comes down to respect and he does not deserve any
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “South Okanagan”