False promise of trickle down urbanism

southy
Lord of the Board

False promise of trickle down urbanism

Post by southy »

I found it interesting reading the story on the Scotties Tournament that attendance numbers are down. I suspect and I could be wrong but I do suspect that there were many merchants in the downtown core who were also anticipating a major increase in traffic and business. Something tells me that didn't happen either. This seems to happen with a lot of events that come to town.

While spending time with my friend Google this morning, I came across a very interesting article, well interesting to me, because I really believe it bottom lines what many cities and smaller communities hope for with entertainment development. Here is the link: Enjoy!

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... n-urbanism
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: False promise of trickle down urbanism

Post by Bunnyhop »

I’m not sure that the downtown businesses were expecting any increases in traffic from the Scotties tournament.

Seems like there’s lots of talk about the tournament but I don’t think anywhere in the city is any busier than it usually is. Didn’t the city give the tournament $200,000 cash? Big waste of money, imo.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's not as if the message did not get out about the Scotties being in Penticton, I get the feeling its not curling mecca. Plus it's on TSN, doubtful it was blackout.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

It seems pretty anecdotal to declare that the benefits Pen received weren't good enough for the money spent to sponsor it.

Even just having all the competitors in town (much less spectators) surely generated some revenue for hotels and restaurants no?

I would wait till the hospitality folks weigh in on the numbers.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ok! I figured this would happen. In no way am I saying anything bad about the Scotties Tournament. Some of you are missing the point. My intent is to bring attention to the fact that so many cities seem to think that by investing millions in a entertainment facility that it will create a major economic spin off. Usually targeting downtown cores. I really don't believe this to be true.

Here is the last paragraph from the article I included. This paragraph really bottom lines it! Point is it doesn't matter what the event is - the event in itself ain't going to drive the downtown economy.

Last paragraph from link: The moral of the story? As much as officials try to convince us otherwise, large-scale entertainment complexes typically don’t deliver on the promise of creating economic vibrancy. Long term, they fill the pockets of a few and often take more money out of the community than they inject into it. While progress, development and steps forward to a better downtown are important, we must remember that simply bringing people to our city centers isn’t the answer. Truly vibrant local economies that grow sustainably feature local governments that encourage and facilitate small business growth, as well as developers who realize that the key to growth is creating a diverse tapestry of city amenities that fulfill our need to live, work and play.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Truly vibrant local economies that grow sustainably feature local governments that encourage and facilitate small business growth, as well as developers who realize that the key to growth is creating a diverse tapestry of city amenities that fulfill our need to live, work and play.

A multi-purpose facility like the SOEC does fall under the general heading of "diverse tapestry", as does the Trade & Convention center and Rec Centre. I agree that the simple bottom line accounting doesn't show any degree of profit from these facilties, but I take issue with those who would say the expense is not worth the return. Many of the benefits aren't immediately measurable, but if one considers where we would be without those faculties it's easy to envision that we would become nothing more than another bedroom community.

As for facilitating small business growth, I'd love to hear your ideas on that. This is a problem that we have been wrestling with for decades to no avail. Many former success stories have packed their bags and left town simply to get closer to their markets. Developers? As they say, business is business, and the development community will continue to go after those with money which, in recent decades, has been the retirement demographic.

The usual refrain is "opportunities for young families", but again the bottom line there is that they need jobs and housing that those jobs will support. I know you'd like to hang this one on current council southy, but the truth is that these issues have been around for the better part of fifty years,
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fluffy wrote:but if one considers where we would be without those faculties it's easy to envision that we would become nothing more than another bedroom community.

I somewhat agree and disagree with your post Fluffy. Where my hesitation is towards your above comment is that we know for a fact the T&CC is under utilized. There was a time years ago where it and Penticton were both conference destinations. Somehow we lost that appeal and I'm not sure why. The SOEC? I think it's been good for the Okanagan. From class concerts to good sporting events. But the question remains just because these events draw people to Penticton I truly believe the only real winner financially is the event. And they come in and leave with the most money in their pocket. Sure some of the pubs, restaurants and some of the hotels will garner some spin off,, but it's not the major hit we tend to believe.

I think this article focuses more on how certain cities and perhaps Penticton is one of them feel that a investing in a major entertainment venue will help draw people to their downtown core. It simply doesn't happen. That downtown core really has to become part of the draw and I can tell you right now Penticton's downtown is anything but.

Please note Fluffy I have not bashed current council or the DPA or Penticton Tourism or the Chamber of Commerce. Though I could at the drop of hat if you like. I simply found the article to be quite interesting and has some merit with regards to Penticton's economic or lack of situation. Not only downtown, but throughout the city,. Food for thought Fluffy that's all. And really isn't that where change starts - ideas??? Creative ideas??
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Also Fluffy, just wanted to add, I think City hall is perhaps finally heading in the right direction. And this really goes hand in hand with what the article I linked states. Good on them, I just hope they follow through with all points.

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... year-plan/
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

But wait a sec ... how silly of me. Hoping they follow through on all items. I forgot there is an election coming up and something tells me it will be a whole new crew in city hall. Sorry Fluff - couldn't resist.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

A little expansion on definition might be helpful for the average voter. Until that happens, the general electorate rolls their eyeballs into the back of their heads and moves onto what's new on their facebook acct. Present bullet points like this and expect understanding and support.....??

The key result areas identified to be addressed over the next five years are:

Communication: developing key messaging and reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
Collaboration: identifying strategic partnerships and working towards common goals.
Retention and expansion: focusing on businesses currently within the community.
Attraction: focusing on bringing businesses, investment and labour to Penticton.
Organizational excellence: continually improving the economic development department.
“I t

What a huge load of political baffle gab that explains nothing as to potential strategies and is more intended to make the more gullible think they are on top of it and all is going to be great.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks Twobits. You got it and obviously my sarcasm as well. Not sure if some of this stuff is coming from the new communications person, Peter Weeber, or the ever influential Mayor Jak. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of this type of communication from now till election day.

Speaking of Mayor Jak .. and this by no means has anything to do with the Scotties Tournament which from all reports was successful. Congrats to all involved. What made me go .. Holy *bleep* really was Mayor Jak's comments in the Castanet story in which he says ....."Three-thousand people from out of town came to Penticton and they all said they'd come back," Jakubeit said. "The athletes themselves had a wonderful time so I think it will have a good impact for us."
I wonder who the city hired to ask everyone of these three thousand people if they would come back to Penticton. I also wonder what the good impact really means in terms of economic benefit.

Return to “South Okanagan”