Student Forced To Cover Scars

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Student Forced To Cover Scars

Post by LANDM »

the truth wrote:the school f up and now they have to back peddle, cowards, hope the kids parents gets a lawyer and takes these over educated fools to court

And the Americanization of Canada continues.

Sometimes errors are made. To suggest suing people over every error is ludicrous and will not make anything better in any way.
You and 71 others Like this post
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

This young lady sounds like she is very mature and as far as I'm concerned, she handled the situation beautifully. I hope she can get the help she needs to heal whatever pain she is in that's causing her to harm herself in the first place.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Fancy wrote:I posted the link earlier. And I'll reiterate sometimes patience is needed when working out a situation. I'm sure there were many parents/teachers sitting on the fence as to how to deal with someone in need of help. Not even professionals have all the answers.

The adults in this situation began by shaming her over her problem and forcing her to cover up.
So patience for whom? Are we supposed to be feeling patience for the Principal here?
No, the proffessionals don't have all the answers, you are right, but in this case the focus from the school was to protect everyone else from having to see the evidence of her problem. Without regard for how that affected her.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

totoramona wrote:...
No, the proffessionals don't have all the answers, you are right, but in this case the focus from the school was to protect everyone else from having to see the evidence of her problem. Without regard for how that affected her.

How do we know this?

You're assuming the school admin had no regard for how being asked not to show her scars would affect her. I wonder, though, if the school admin are more aware than the rest of us that among young teens, there is a significant risk of copycat behaviour. We see this in rashes of car surfing, Tide pod challenges, and other risky and self-damaging behavior. It's an age where too many youth decide to experiment with what they are exposed to. This isn't new. We expect our schools to keep all of our children as safe as reasonably possible, and not to expose our youth to additional temptation. So I wonder if perhaps they were giving considerable regard to the difficulty this young teen is going through, and considerable regard for the well-being of all of the other vulnerable students in their care, too?

It's sure easy for the rest of us to get out pitchforks and take sides when we don't have the full picture, and when we are not in any way accountable for what happens next.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

totoramona wrote:The adults in this situation began by shaming her over her problem and forcing her to cover up.
So patience for whom? Are we supposed to be feeling patience for the Principal here?

I thought I was specific with regard to "patience". I didn't mention a specific person now did I. "Shame" was not the intent as everyone should know. And did it occur to you that there might be information we aren't privy to that led to that decision? And why not be satisfied that this situation has been rectified and realize people learn as they move forward?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The Okanagan, while still growing, is just FULL of backward, small-town lazy-thinkers.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kgcayenne wrote:The Okanagan, while still growing, is just FULL of backward, small-town lazy-thinkers.

Lovely insult. Is that really necessary?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You need not agree with my observation of the types of people observable within the area.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Can't agree when I don't know the people including the school staff, parents and children involved. I just don't think insults do anyone any good at all. I simply asked was it necessary? Why the put down when the situation now has been resolved?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The situation will repeat unless a change in thinking occurs. It is far from resolved as long as the initial, faulty punitive action is being defended.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Fancy wrote: And why not be satisfied that this situation has been rectified and realize people learn as they move forward?

The school has backtracked due to media and public pressure. It does not always follow that people learn as they move forward. What has this Principal learned? What has the school staff learned? And what about other schools and other students struggling with mental illness?
What needs to happen at this point is clear District wide policy addressing student mental illness. At present, these kinds of rules and "re-entry" requirements or "behaviour" requirements are made at the prerogative of the Principal. In absence of specific policy, each Principal will make these decisions based on their own understanding or philosophy on the matter. Further, Special Education designation does not make a distinction between mental illness and behaviour problems. It lumps them together.
I hope individuals who care about this issue will make their thoughts known to the School Board. It is there that real progress can be made.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

kgcayenne wrote:The Okanagan, while still growing, is just FULL of backward, small-town lazy-thinkers.

It is indeed unfortunate that many of us have not had the oportunity to live all over the world and hobnob with the rich and famous.
Many of us are just poor simple folk with small town values like helping each other and protecting the environment.
Even when we stumble along and do some good things, we try not to get too pretentious.
Black Dogs Matter
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

One does not need to travel and hobnob in order to learn there’s more to consider than what we were originally conditioned to think about. Sometimes enduring trauma and having your heart torn out of you and stomped-on a few times is sufficient.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

That would have been fatal.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “South Okanagan”