Major construction at Penticton Reg Airport ?

my5cents
Guru

Major construction at Penticton Reg Airport ?

Post by my5cents »

Boy they must be working the late shift at the airport in Penticton. I was there just a week ago and didn't see this !

Look at the photo attached to an article in Castanet discussing cancelled flights !

Castanet,,,,,, if you don't have a photo of something quit making stuff up, it reduces what little credibility you still have.

There is NO gangways at the Penticton Airport,,,,, DUH.
Attachments
westjet_snow_p3029116_p3288671.jpg
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Major construction at Penticton Reg Airport ?

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I suspect an Alberta airport photo
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I see that they removed that photo and replaced with a Boeing 737. Wow...Penticton is moving up; never knew that 737's were back landing there. https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... al-flights
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Reporters don't know anything that's why they ask questions. Have you ever heard a reporter scrum? Some of the most bonehead questions ever asked.

That being said I have heard that construction on a expanded terminal is about to occur. Buddy's company bid on the project but I think they didn't get it. Not sure who did. He also told me there has been some changes in management although it's still Transport Canada.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

JagXKR wrote:Reporters don't know anything that's why they ask questions. Have you ever heard a reporter scrum? Some of the most bonehead questions ever asked.

That being said I have heard that construction on a expanded terminal is about to occur. Buddy's company bid on the project but I think they didn't get it. Not sure who did. He also told me there has been some changes in management although it's still Transport Canada.

With a 6,000 ft runway and very little area to even expand that, Skaha lake to south & Green Mountain Rd to the north.
All there is to do is upgrades to terminal itself.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Found it. The tender, not who won it. It is the Terminal or as they put it ATB.

https://buyandsell.gc.ca/procurement-da ... Y-026-8244
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I'd like to see them improve the ILS system they use so landings and take-offs can occur with lower minimums. Perhaps fewer cancellations due to weather..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Well it's nice to read about the length of the runway and the ILS system, but back to the topic of how Castanet just uses whatever photo they have to fill a gap.

In todays "effort" we have a story captined : "Coq reopens southbound"

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219157

Right below the heading, of course is a photo of,,,,, the ,,,, Coquihalla Highway ? Nope, a car on it's side after rollong down a hill on Dillworth drive on Saturday.

The Coquihalla was closed near Merrit at 4:30 PM (hard to tell which day) and opened at 7:55 PM, so the correlation between Dilworth drive on Saturday AM and Merritt is certainly obvious. They both involve snow.

Maybe a photo of down hill skying at the Olympic, would have filled the bill, that involves snow as well.
Attachments
5CE35416-726E-4321-B5BB-18B587287F8A.jpeg
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

That is rather pathetic. Perhaps Castanet should lobby for some of the Fed money to preserve Canadian news content. Oh wait, that is to preserve the viability of print media from the onslaught of lower cost online news sources. Seems that here we might be enjoying low cost delivery with low cost effort.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

twobits wrote:That is rather pathetic. Perhaps Castanet should lobby for some of the Fed money to preserve Canadian news content. Oh wait, that is to preserve the viability of print media from the onslaught of lower cost online news sources. Seems that here we might be enjoying low cost delivery with low cost effort.

I'm not sure what effort has been exerted. But certainly low quality product. I'm sure a junior high student could do better.

Have these people received any training ?? Who oversees the content that is put out ?

I guess it's not just Castanet. A CP story talking about a plane travelling from Saskatoon to Calgary

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#219190

"An Air Canada Express plane (? Air Canada Jazz ?), had to return to Saskatoon shortly after takeoff after flames were reported coming from it".

IT ? What the heck ?

The story goes on to appear to quote an airline spokesperson saying "the flames were noticed near the left tail pipe"

The LEFT TAIL PIPE ?????

It's a turbo prop a "tail pipe". What ! It doesn't have a tail pipe, it's a turbo prop not an internal combustion engine !
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I do always get a good chuckle reading a fair amount of the castanet news articles. While their headlines are at times a little misleading, they are designed to grab readers attention. That being said the article needs to actually be proofread and edited, not just spell checked and called good enough. I'm in no way claiming to be an English major, journalist, or editor, but if I'm able to pick out numerous mistakes a day there's something wrong.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
The story goes on to appear to quote an airline spokesperson saying "the flames were noticed near the left tail pipe"

The LEFT TAIL PIPE ?????

It's a turbo prop a "tail pipe". What ! It doesn't have a tail pipe, it's a turbo prop not an internal combustion engine !

Actually, it does. More technically correct, it would be called the exhaust vent or nozzle - its in the back of the PW150s ...

As for the flames, sounds like a compressor stall (go to 0:50) ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
With a 6,000 ft runway and very little area to even expand that, Skaha lake to south & Green Mountain Rd to the north.

Easily extendable into either lake. As for the roads, just put in some crossing gates like they have at Gibraltar ...

:biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:Boy they must be working the late shift at the airport in Penticton. I was there just a week ago and didn't see this !

Look at the photo attached to an article in Castanet discussing cancelled flights !

Castanet,,,,,, if you don't have a photo of something quit making stuff up, it reduces what little credibility you still have.

There is NO gangways at the Penticton Airport,,,,, DUH.

That picture was taken at Fort McMurray airport :biggrin:
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

GordonH wrote:With a 6,000 ft runway and very little area to even expand that, Skaha lake to south & Green Mountain Rd to the north.

Dizzy1 wrote:Easily extendable into either lake. As for the roads, just put in some crossing gates like they have at Gibraltar ...

:biggrin:

Crossing gates? Most people can't even negotiate a traffic circle properly.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “South Okanagan”