Naramata family being evicted

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Naramata family being evicted

Post by Even Steven »

XT225 wrote:the Christian thing to do would be to give plenty of notice; (perhaps more than what is required) and assist them in finding new accommodations.

Being a good Christian, why are you not opening YOUR home to this family?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

myperson wrote:There is no entitlement issue with this current renter. It's more a case of a house being left empty while a family goes homeless. A single Dad of 2 young children at that. Money isn't the problem as the rent was being paid and was almost 2k a month. There are almost 200 vacation homes that sit empty in the penticton area. Its not a case of people not affording these rentals per se, but a lack thereof .Greed is our ultimate demise.

In this case it is an issue. What you are neglecting is RDOS zoning bylaws. If a property is zoned single family residential.....it can only have one home on it. For the owner to construct a new dwelling on the property they need a buildings permit. They will not get a buildings permit for the new residence with an existing residence on the property unless it is owner occupied and with an agreement that the existing home will be immediately demolished upon an occupancy permit being granted for the new home.
So what may seem so obvious to you and others not familiar with zoning bylaws is the "owner" is not being a "dyck", but rather conforming to RDOS bylaws in order to get a building permit to build a home for personal use. Plain and simple.....the owner has to evict the current renter in order to get a building permit to build a home on their own land!! And FYI, the RDOS pays special attention to these kind of permits cuz letting them slide in the past has resulted in the original residence not being demolished and then become a non conforming rental property that they then get endless complaints from neighbours about being an illegal rental in a single family zoned area.
Then the litigation costs to the taxpayer start.
Last edited by twobits on Mar 5th, 2018, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
myperson

Post by myperson »

The RDOS approved building permit at the secondary residence being allowed to stay. As a separate entity the ALC has stepped in not allowing the secondary residence. As noted before the secondary residence has to be decommissioned or demolished 6 months after the occupancy permit for the new home. Which is not to be completed until at least 6 months from today.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

myperson wrote:The RDOS approved building permit at the secondary residence being allowed to stay. As a separate entity the ALC has stepped in not allowing the secondary residence. As noted before the secondary residence has to be decommissioned or demolished 6 months after the occupancy permit for the new home. Which is not to be completed until at least 6 months from today.

Please provide a link to these facts. 1)The RDOS permitting non owner occupied use while a new residence is constructed and 2) the ALC stepping in to kybosh. That would be highly unusual but if so, I will gladly concede.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
myperson

Post by myperson »

There's no link that is needed to be provided. If you're really curious go look it up and you'll find that the regional district allows secondary residence as long as the building permits were applied for before June 2017. Which is the case here and from that point forward Regional District doesn't allow secondary residence on property 5 Acres or less. The ALC however has never allowed unless the house is directly related to farming of the property. I have no information at my fingertips but I'm told this is what was explained during phone calls with agricultural land commission and the regional district. I'll happily go for a dig later on and find the information pertaining to the bylaws.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

XT225 wrote:
Yes it is; your are 100% correct, but that doesn't make it right. At this time of year, (especially if the owners won't be moving in themselves) the Christian thing to do would be to give plenty of notice; (perhaps more than what is required) and assist them in finding new accommodations.

Bahaha the Christian thing to do. Whats religion have to do with this? Why not open your home up to this family if your a good Christian?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Gixxer wrote:
Bahaha the Christian thing to do. Whats religion have to do with this? Why not open your home up to this family if your a good Christian?

Sorry, I don't have any extra rooms available; but if I had, I would open them up to these folks, without a doubt.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

myperson wrote:
LTD wrote:its their home period, and no ones being tossed on the street they have been given plenty of notice i wouldn't feel the least bit guilty as they've done nothing wrong

Tossed out.. maybe not so much. With an occupancy rate sitting at 1% do you think it's easy find a home in this market? Do you really believe that 2 months is ample time to find a decent 3 bedroom home? There's shop that's been set up as a home-based business, farm animals and equipment to consider as well. Can this person jump into a two-bedroom apartment? Perhaps. Is that suitable accommodations, no. The fact that the home is to be left vacant is ridiculous and not the right thing to do.

2 months is adequate as far as a shop for a home based business farm animals and equipment all i can say is REALLY? talk about irresponsible that's certainly not the landlords problem that's the kind of thing you do when you OWN a home and your life is more stable finding a two bedroom apartment isn't difficult it sounds like someone put themselves in a bad spot and cant find a new place to set up shop and now its everyone elses problem. What exactly would this person have done if the landlord had a health problem and was forced to sell youre still gonna have to move then who would you guys blame ?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

XT225 wrote:
Gixxer wrote:

Sorry, I don't have any extra rooms available; but if I had, I would open them up to these folks, without a doubt.

ya sure lol, sure you would open your home up to total strangers lol, sure you would open your home up to their animals and assorted junk lol, sure you would expose your family to complete strangers living in your home, lol some people [icon_lol2.gif]
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

LTD wrote:ya sure lol, sure you would open your home up to total strangers lol, sure you would open your home up to their animals and assorted junk lol, sure you would expose your family to complete strangers living in your home, lol some people [icon_lol2.gif]

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are totally wrong. I've done it before and would do it again and likely will when space becomes available.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well that's fine if you live alone, if you have a wife and kids then its completely irresponsible but your choice
myperson

Post by myperson »

LTD wrote:well that's fine if you live alone, if you have a wife and kids then its completely irresponsible but your choice

How so? Why does a wife and children make a difference? If being told upwards of 4 years not enough time to set up shop then what is? And as for the landlord selling, that's highly unlikely as they just purchased the property and are building a home. Clearly they have no intention of selling right away. And as for health problems, that can occur to anyone even if you were the homeowner. Can't just live in fear and hope these things don't happen otherwise we would all live stagnant lives going nowhere.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

really you don't see a problem with moving strangers into your home when you have children you cant seriously be that challenged, how about in twenty years when little billy is in therapy because he may or may not have been molested by the scary stranger daddy brought home? i also said what if the owner had a health problem and was forced to sell, these things happen and if youre running a home based business in a rental you better have a backup plan.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

ahh, every Tenant is a stranger...many people rent out suites/carriage houses etc in their home to "strangers"..many people Air BnB parts of their home to "strangers" and they stay in the residence when the "strangers" are there renting...

it's actually pretty common..lol
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

yup did it myself rented a basement suite which had a locked steel door separating the top and bottom as required bylaw, i certainly wouldn't be inviting strangers to come and live with my kids that's just stupid on every level

Return to “South Okanagan”