Low-budget motels sold

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Low-budget motels sold

Post by fluffy »

What do you see as a viable alternative? If this “project” is going to give way to higher end housing, it would be the perfect opportunity to try a different approach to housing the needy while reducing the criminal element.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

fluffy wrote:What do you see as a viable alternative? If this “project” is going to give way to higher end housing, it would be the perfect opportunity to try a different approach to housing the needy while reducing the criminal element.

Work camps. Anyone applying for assistance deemed to be able bodied should be off working . Lots of projects need doing
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:What do you see as a viable alternative? If this “project” is going to give way to higher end housing, it would be the perfect opportunity to try a different approach to housing the needy while reducing the criminal element.

That is the million dollar question. And while my solution would not be as radical as work camps, it would still not appeal to the soft side of the social spectrum. I am not opposed at all to providing social housing. I think one of my biggest problems is just the definition of who should qualify for social housing and what conditions the recipients of this social housing are willing to comply with in order to qualify for this subsidized housing.
For the disabled, be it physical or mental, and BTW this is a class I am most willing to support........proof of professional medical engagement for both pharm and physical therapy.
The others, the addicted, of which comprises the bulk of the population and not surprisingly the bulk of the neighbourhood problem...........I would demand a little higher standard. Call me old school or and old fart but while I recognize addition as a medical condition, I would have a no drug or alcohol rule on the premises and it would be enforced not by the RCMP but by a paid Gov't employee that checked each resident upon entry to the property. Full search and sobriety required for access. You want cheap rent, then suck it up. It would coincidentally also prevent the loot stolen from the neighbourhood between 11pm and 4 am from being stashed in their subsidized housing to be sold off on craigslist or the pawnshop the next day. The Walmart parking lot across the street from these places is a meeting spot for these transactions and they probably do as much business on the average day as the subway sandwich shop does.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote: The Walmart parking lot across the street from these places is a meeting spot for these transactions and they probably do as much business on the average day as the subway sandwich shop does.

Looks like more business for the Walmart parking lot.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#223032
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I am floored that the city would do this on the corner of that intersection. It is high profile, and a mere 3 blocks away from some nice density developments near Yorkton.

I used to think there was no hope for the South End of town, until some of these new developments popped up. Now with this decision, I can go back to my original thoughts.

I guess I should stop letting things surprise me.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

it will be a 24/7 crack shack in no time sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:I am floored that the city would do this on the corner of that intersection. It is high profile, and a mere 3 blocks away from some nice density developments near Yorkton.

I used to think there was no hope for the South End of town, until some of these new developments popped up. Now with this decision, I can go back to my original thoughts.

I guess I should stop letting things surprise me.

Also 150 meters away from two schools. Well done City and BC Housing!!!!

If there is any possible positive spin to this would be Teachers and Administrators being able to pretty much point across the street with the message of "Stay in school and off drugs or this is where you might live". A classroom learning experience so to speak as the students dodge the crack heads on the sidewalk.
Regulations prohibit a Pub from being at least a kilometer away from another Pub and not in proximity of a school, but we can house drug addicts a few hundred feet away from 2 schools. Go figger.
Just wait until City bylaws are finalized on how close a legal MJ retailer can be to a School and measure that hypocrisy.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, more over educated clueless morons in charge
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 10th, 2018, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Final price was $5 Million according to the article. Was that a good price? I guess it depends on what gets built after the 3 get tore down. And I am betting they will be demolished as soon as they can get the renters out. My bet is that the property will become mid-high end towers. Affordable to many, not all.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ell-for-5M
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I'm honestly impressed that those 3 motels are producing almost 500k in rental income annually. At a 5M price tag, it's a great deal, and low risk to the buyer. Whatever gets planned, which I think also will be mid-rise condo's with lower level commercial, if there are any delays this property pretty much pays for itself. IMO be nice to start cleaning up a lot of these less attractive area's.
DAMACO

Post by DAMACO »

I'm an actual resident of on the properties that have been sold, and to the people who think their is just a bunch of druggies and bums living here, let me tell you my situation. I'm 28, the education system hasn't been kind to me, and I have no other way of bettering myself with out one on one support, which I couldn't get in High school (In the places that mattered) or in College. So here I am, on disability, now let me tell you, I do work to supplement my disability income, but its peanuts compared to anything else I can do, I barely function at the job I have no business working, since its all I can get with my education, and on top of that, I don't really have a plan B except for BC housing. If they kick me out, I'd rather go to prison than be homeless, I refuse to beg on the street. I struggle enough with my mental problems in silence, and I'll be damned if I'm going to be kicked to the curb like some subhuman. I've tried, I've failed, I'm still trying to at least keep myself busy, and my mind occupied. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have family that live here as well, and they too have no where else to go. I keep telling myself "it could be worse", and now I think I may have jinxed myself.
Last edited by DAMACO on Apr 17th, 2018, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Jhunter199 wrote:I'm honestly impressed that those 3 motels are producing almost 500k in rental income annually. At a 5M price tag, it's a great deal, and low risk to the buyer. Whatever gets planned, which I think also will be mid-rise condo's with lower level commercial, if there are any delays this property pretty much pays for itself. IMO be nice to start cleaning up a lot of these less attractive area's.

Something doesn't add up here. These three motels that may make way for mid-rise condos will be directly North of the proposed Government Low-Income modular housing complex. Who in their right mind would buy or even rent decent condos right next door to that, plus an old Trailer Park in behind?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... g#comments
DAMACO

Post by DAMACO »

pentona wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:I'm honestly impressed that those 3 motels are producing almost 500k in rental income annually. At a 5M price tag, it's a great deal, and low risk to the buyer. Whatever gets planned, which I think also will be mid-rise condo's with lower level commercial, if there are any delays this property pretty much pays for itself. IMO be nice to start cleaning up a lot of these less attractive area's.

Something doesn't add up here. Isn't this right next door or close to where the Govt is going to put those Low-Income modular houses? The mix with any condos nearby doesn't sound too attractive in my opinion.

Never heard of anything like that.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

pentona wrote:Something doesn't add up here. These three motels that may make way for mid-rise condos will be directly North of the proposed Government Low-Income modular housing complex. Who in their right mind would buy or even rent decent condos right next door to that, plus an old Trailer Park in behind?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... g#comments

Proper fencing, ie big concrete, or brick, wall. Lit perimeter with multiple security cameras. Then a shaming of the legal system that will let the criminals out, right after they get arrested for stealing. Security pictures in the lobby of the thieves.
That's what I would demand of the strata association if I moved in there.
And yes they will become victims of lowlife thieves. That is what the bleeding hearts want. More victims.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “South Okanagan”