Urban deer problem or urban human problem ?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Urban deer problem or urban human problem ?

Post by Fancy »

Tootsie wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-221621-21-.htm#221621

Not so sure it's an urban deer problem. Seems to me it's more of a urban HUMAN problem.

Mmmm...so let me get this straight. You build housing in urban areas that have been inhabited by deer for hundreds of years and they eat the plants & shrubs you planted. Does that not make you guilty of feeding wildlife? Pretty simple solution - how about zeroscape with stuff deer don't like to eat. No food - they won't hang around long. Put food out - cedars, tulips, etc - yum smorgasbord !

It can be an urban deer problem. No, it doesn't make anyone guilty of feeding wildlife no matter what one plants. When deer show up after decades of no deer in some areas I would say the deer are the problem. And then of course there's the folks who feed the deer and encourage them into urban life - then yes, that would be an urban human problem. Same problem with rats, mice, raccoons and bears when people decide to feed wildlife with any type of food like bird seed etc.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

What people do not understand is that Urban Deer could almost be classified as a sub species of their genetic line. They have altered their own habitat preference and dietary tolerance that we have made available in urban areas that lacks their natural predators.
Ungulates in nature have a very specific dietary pattern through the four seasons. Their gut bacteria adjusts slowly with the change in flora available and they do just fine. There is nothing, nada, squat, normal about Okanagan Deer eating things like Cedar because it does not exist naturally in the Okanagan. I could go on to list hundreds of more plants we cultivate that are also not a natural food source for them and they have adapted to because they have altered their gut bacteria to tolerate it.
Throw a bag of corn or a bale of clover out for Deer and they will eat it. It will also likely kill them because their digestive system has not adapted to the food. Throw a handful of corn or a handfuls of clover out and they will slowly adapt to that food and do well.
And that is precisely what has spawned Urban deer. A sub species of animal that has adapted to un natural plants we provide in our yards. The reality is their guts have adapted to our provided food source and they cannot and would not survive if they were transplanted to more natural deer habitat. They are no more natural than a rat colony that depends on a grain silo for its food source. Take away the grain silo and the rats disappear. The Bambi lovers however suggest everyone build a fence around the grain silo......their yards if you missed the euphemism.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

The deer bandits are back! Now they are coming in my yard, going up the stairs, and lounging around the frozen pool. These buggers are scared of nothing! I put a sign up "no deer allowed" but they don't care. I'm gonna build a stuffed scarewolf today and put it on the stairs. Stay tuned...
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just put up a sign that says "Hunting Season Open", they will stay away. :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

tsayta wrote:The deer bandits are back! Now they are coming in my yard, going up the stairs, and lounging around the frozen pool. These buggers are scared of nothing! I put a sign up "no deer allowed" but they don't care. I'm gonna build a stuffed scarewolf today and put it on the stairs. Stay tuned...

LOL. I look forward to the results of your experiment.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Ok that didn't work. Deer just blindly jump over the 10 foot fence and land on frozen pool. I guess when the ice melts, they'll be swimming. Today I extend the fence to 15 feet with spare boards I got laying around. Not sure why my neighbor says my place looks like a shanty town
WW
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

tsayta wrote:Ok that didn't work. Deer just blindly jump over the 10 foot fence and land on frozen pool. I guess when the ice melts, they'll be swimming. Today I extend the fence to 15 feet with spare boards I got laying around. Not sure why my neighbor says my place looks like a shanty town

Trust me.... you do not want them in your pool. If they go into deep water, they will swim and thrash until they feel bottom. That is when their hooves will shred your pool liner beyond repair. I am speaking from the sad position of experience. They are not even smart enough to see the walk in stairs for an exit. Instead they continue to try to jump along the first pool edge they come to and shred everything.

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2019, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sometimes I get offended by language, yours right now, not so much. I take it you're on the losing end of the battle. Sucks.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Shoot Them, eat them.
So So good to eat!!! :up:

Not a problem, they practically walk onto your BBQ. I bet if they could jam these animals in a sushi roll, they'd be scarce in the Okanagan.lol
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2019, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Speaking of scarce:

Wildlife scientists and conservationists are trying to solve the mystery of why mule deer across the Okanagan Valley are dying.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#250685
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2019, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to bait.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Reading that article I see no reference to finding mysterious deer carcasses? Just a reference to the mysterious decline in herd population.
Another fun fact is that FN's are the fastest growing population in Canada. Combine that with hunt any time of year and take any Buck or Doe with modern hunting tools, and we just saved a bunch of coin on a study.

MooCow

Post by MooCow »

So some maroon drives his Vespa into a deer and blames the deer. WT capital F

Be happy that we still have wildlife. The way we're going that will be gone soon enough as well.

Once again humans make me embarrassed to be part of the species. Unbelievable.

Return to “South Okanagan”